Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water metering to begin in Waterford on Monday

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The_Shotz wrote: »
    I think that post shows what will happen in Ireland, you will now pay for water without any improvement of quality.

Why? Because one country doesn't improve it's services nationwide doesn't mean Ireland will do the same thing. Already there are talk of various rebates and the cost of water is cheaper than the UK. So already the country isn't going down the same line.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Sully wrote: »
    Why? Because one country doesn't improve it's services nationwide doesn't mean Ireland will do the same thing. Already there are talk of various rebates and the cost of water is cheaper than the UK. So already the country isn't going down the same line.

Prices are currently cheaper but you must remember this is its first year. I would expect prices to increase in the coming years just like every other utility bill.

Will we be saying we're cheaper in 5-10 years time, who knows, time will tell, but I reckon we will see free allowances lowered and price increases.

Also these rebates are only for areas with undrinkable water.

All that and the eventual privatisation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Prices are currently cheaper but you must remember this is its first year. I would expect prices to increase in the coming years just like every other utility bill.

Will we be saying we're cheaper in 5-10 years time, who knows, time will tell, but I reckon we will see free allowances lowered and price increases.

Also these rebates are only for areas with undrinkable water.

All that and the eventual privatisation.

There are rebates for people who get overcharged and there is assistance for people who struggle to pay.

As for this privatisation theory - I addressed that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

There are rebates for people who get overcharged and there is assistance for people who struggle to pay.

As for this privatisation theory - I addressed that earlier.

Privatisation of IW will require amendments to legislation so it won't happen overnight.....however we all know how 'emergency legislation' can be rammed through plus election promises reneged on. The other question would be if government subventions are stripped out of IW's budget would it be that attractive for some private entity to acquire and run. No subvention would mean a doubling of charges or more. The 12 year agreement with local authorities may not last the full term but in any case it will defer privatisation for the short term as in 5 to 10 years. According to some Denis o Brien has already the deal done with government and will have IW IN HIS GREASY paws soon.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Privatisation of IW will require amendments to legislation so it won't happen overnight.....however we all know how 'emergency legislation' can be rammed through plus election promises reneged on. The other question would be if government subventions are stripped out of IW's budget would it be that attractive for some private entity to acquire and run. No subvention would mean a doubling of charges or more. The 12 year agreement with local authorities may not last the full term but in any case it will defer privatisation for the short term as in 5 to 10 years. According to some Denis o Brien has already the deal done with government and will have IW IN HIS GREASY paws soon.

*yawn*

If the government or so intent on privatisation, surely they would sell of the ESB & Board Gais networks? And this Denis O'Brien nonsense. He runs the company that fits your meter. And your Sky. And your UPC. Is he taking over Sky & UPC too? I heard that deal was done.

Conspiracy Theories to the Conspiracy Forum tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

*yawn*

If the government or so intent on privatisation, surely they would sell of the ESB & Board Gais networks? And this Denis O'Brien nonsense. He runs the company that fits your meter. And your Sky. And your UPC. Is he taking over Sky & UPC too? I heard that deal was done.

Conspiracy Theories to the Conspiracy Forum tbh.

Have we learned anything in this country? At all?:confused:

So already the country isn't going down the same line.

Oh yes it is. Within years you will pay €1000 a year for water and €1000 a year property tax. It is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

7upfree wrote: »
    Oh yes it is. Within years you will pay €1000 a year for water and €1000 a year property tax. It is inevitable.

Sure property tax already can cost 1k if your property is valuable enough... and ditto water charges, if you use enough.

But anyway, I assume you mean the average cost?

It's easy to make a statement like that, when inflation will eventually make you right... :rolleyes:

So, put your cards on the table - how many years, until the real average costs of both water and LPT reach the equivalent of 1k in 2014...?? I reckon not in the next 20 years anyway.

Sure property tax already can cost 1k if your property is valuable enough... and ditto water charges, if you use enough.

It's easy to make a statement like that, when inflation will eventually make you right... :rolleyes:

So, put your cards on the table - how many years, until the real average costs of both water and LPT reach the equivalent of 1k in 2014...?? I reckon not in the next 20 years anyway.

Sure, if Sinn Fein get into government these taxes are going to be scrapped. No worries! :)

I would say quite easily the next 5 to seven years. Watch this space. Greed will overtake it all.

• Advertisement

Sure, if Sinn Fein get into government these taxes are going to be scrapped. No worries! :)

SF will scrap sweet FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

7upfree wrote: »
    I would say quite easily the next 5 to seven years. Watch this space. Greed will overtake it all.

I'll have €20 with you that they won't.

I'll have €20 with you that they won't.

Done. If we're both still alive!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think at this stage the discussion has very much moved away from Waterford, there's alot more suitable forums for general discussion on this topic at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement