Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does your current aquarium differ to your very first one?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I've been aquascaping this week and spending a lot of time on aquarium decor online stores. One photo of some very frosted pink and blue gravel took me right back to my preteen years.
    When I was about 10 I got my first aquarium. It was plastic, about 30L with a bright pink lid and everything in it was gaudy and hideous.
    Pink plants, neon yellow plants that glowed in the dark, that awful frosted Barbie-style gravel. And no filter, because my parents refused to believe that a filter was necessary.
    I look back now in horror, the tank used to be filthy but the fish somehow lived- one got his tail bit off by the cat so swam around with a stump for the next 6 years.

How has your taste etc changed over the years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My first tank was similar: plastic, spongebob squarepants themed and a graveyard for at least 5/6 goldfish before I learned what I was doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Pack as much fish in a possible.

Now Iv big silver dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

First tank was guppies in a ****ty bright yellow monstrosity, with plastic plants and pink gravel. No filtration, so surprise surprise, everything died.

Current tank is 10 times the size, heavily planted with a soil substrate topped with sand. Night and day difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

My first tank was a 54L, can't remember the make and model. I had cherry barbs in it.

I now have a 180L Juwel Rio with a shoal of tiger barbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's 400% bigger and sitting on it side, empty, in the garage currently :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

From goldfish in a 30l to a 350l coral reef marine
    Also have a fully planted discus tank as well.

Poor goldfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

From goldfish in a 30l to a 350l coral reef marine
    Also have a fully planted discus tank as well.

Poor goldfish

Just looking at your location there. I was in a well known pet shop in Maynooth no so long ago and a sales agent was selling a tiny, can't imagine that it was even 30L, tank to a mother for her children. She was going to put a goldfish in it. The rubbish the agent was telling her about keeping goldfish was incredible. I was trying to get a chance to talk to the lady to tell her how unsuitable that tank was for a goldfish but the agent never let her out of his sight.

Berserker wrote: »
    Just looking at your location there. I was in a well known pet shop in Maynooth no so long ago and a sales agent was selling a tiny, can't imagine that it was even 30L, tank to a mother for her children. She was going to put a goldfish in it. The rubbish the agent was telling her about keeping goldfish was incredible. I was trying to get a chance to talk to the lady to tell her how unsuitable that tank was for a goldfish but the agent never let her out of his sight.

Oh I know well, it's such a disgrace really what people put goldfish especially through.
    I work In a fish house and try my very best to educate people about goldfish, suitable tanks for them and general info about them.

The amount of people who are shocked when they hear just what age and how big a goldfish can get.

I'm going for a higher up fish house job, I'm thinking I might get a big goldfish in as a 'store pet' just to show how big they can get :D and he'll be in a 300L haha

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I won a €50 voucher from Seahorse for suggesting just that idea as a display tank xxxJennyxxx!

Make sure if you do it to put a "goldfish bowl" into the bottom of the tank as a tank decoration so people can see just how ridiculous/cruel they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Oh I know well, it's such a disgrace really what people put goldfish especially through.
    I work In a fish house and try my very best to educate people about goldfish, suitable tanks for them and general info about them.

The amount of people who are shocked when they hear just what age and how big a goldfish can get.

I'm going for a higher up fish house job, I'm thinking I might get a big goldfish in as a 'store pet' just to show how big they can get :D and he'll be in a 300L haha
    Sleepy wrote: »
    I won a €50 voucher from Seahorse for suggesting just that idea as a display tank xxxJennyxxx!

Make sure if you do it to put a "goldfish bowl" into the bottom of the tank as a tank decoration so people can see just how ridiculous/cruel they are

Great ideas!

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »

Oh that's the plan and I'm guna say to people, want to see my goldfish and her bowl? And show them a 5 foot with a 12 inch goldfish swimming around her bowl (which will have a little ornament in it)

Advertisement