Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Iphone 6 upgrade

• 08-08-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I also have an upgrade due in sept. I'm currently contemplating jumping ship from iOS, to either Sony Z2/3 or LG G3.

I love how reliable/stable iOS is and they the fingerprint details are much more secure. HOWEVER, the battery life is KILLING me. Think the current gen iphone 5/s is around 1500mAh, and doesn't seem like apple have any interest in improving.

Some android devices are pushing 3000mAh!!

Basically i want iOS wrapped in a sexy SONY/LG DEVICE. But that's not gonna happen. Lol

ANYONE HAVE ANY UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AUTUMN?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don't buy into all this mAh thing. My mates are into android, a few have the new S5, one has the Sony and all of them complain about the battery too.

Use a smart phone to its potential and you will get a days life out of it full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

kceire wrote: »
    I don't buy into all this mAh thing. My mates are into android, a few have the new S5, one has the Sony and all of them complain about the battery too.

Use a smart phone to its potential and you will get a days life out of it full stop.

I think that's about right.

Worth remembering that Apple have seemingly invested more time and effort into power management than battery technology. More power from less mAh means they're in great shape whenever better battery technology comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Euripides_

Well... I mean, basically the larger the mAh, the bigger the battery . My point is that i dont understand their obsession with thin phones. Id be perfectly happy with an iphone 2/3 times thicker and have a 2 day battery.

I mean its nearly too thin to hold comfortably.

And i do use my phone to its potential and I'm lucky to get 5 maybe 6 hours outta it. I have 12 hour days so its crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

No you won't. I have had the one M8, S5 (unfortunately) and Note 3 and currently use a 5S. Using all of them for the same thing day in, day out the iPhone does need topping up during the day to make it through. You also need to alter the settings more to eek the most time out of it.

But, one persons idea of potential and another's are going to be different! It's been improving immensely with each iPhone iteration and at this stage I don't see it as a huge negative of the iPhone such has been the improvement in power consumption, especially at idle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I'm always amazed now anyone would leave iOS. That's just me though.

• Advertisement

I'm always amazed now anyone would leave iOS. That's just me though.

Its the battery and shape of the phone. I haven't actually liked the design since the 4/4s. Much too narrow and tall in the hand. But that's just me.

Like i said in the original post, I love iOS, its the hardware that Im done with.

No you won't. I have had the one M8, S5 (unfortunately) and Note 3 and currently use a 5S. Using all of them for the same thing day in, day out the iPhone does need topping up during the day to make it through. You also need to alter the settings more to eek the most time out of it.

But, one persons idea of potential and another's are going to be different! It's been improving immensely with each iPhone iteration and at this stage I don't see it as a huge negative of the iPhone such has been the improvement in power consumption, especially at idle.

Yeah, chances are, I'll upgrade again to the iphone 6. And if i still dont like it ill prob jump ship.

The upcoming Z3 , G3, or Nexus 6 iterations most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Easy solution, just buy a charging case. I have one for my iPhone 5 and I would be lost without it. I got mine for 30 euro on Moore St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Easy solution, just buy a charging case. I have one for my iPhone 5 and I would be lost without it. I got mine for 30 euro on Moore St.

Yeah i had one which I got online which lasted about 2momths. Just a bit finicky. and then ya have to wait a couple of months for them to make them for the new phone size. Just a pain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I get one full day. Ie. 8am till that evening. Everything on, Bluetooth, wifi, notifications etc background refresh all on. iPhone 5.

I get one full day. Ie. 8am till that evening. Everything on, Bluetooth, wifi, notifications etc background refresh all on. iPhone 5.

And do u actually use this phone? :p

How old is the phone? Do u use 3G/4G listen to music etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The battery in an iPhone is about 60-70% of the total volume of the device. Apple are being smart here in optimising the OS to use less CPU cycles, more efficient writes/reads to RAM and flash storage. iOS is street ahead in terms of efficient battery usage than android IMO.

With the iPhone 6 I ould like to see the battery move up to 15 hours usage as the stated 10 with the current models. Wider screen will no doubt drain more battery.

Well your idea of using it to it's potential and mine are very different then:)

jay_k wrote: »
    Yeah, chances are, I'll upgrade again to the iphone 6. And if i still dont like it ill prob jump ship.

The upcoming Z3 , G3, or Nexus 6 iterations most likely

To be honest the M8 would probably be the most painless to switch to. It's a very slick device.

I'm waiting to see what shape the 6 comes in like yourself before making a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

To be honest the M8 would probably be the most painless to switch to. It's a very slick device.

I'm waiting to see what shape the 6 comes in like yourself before making a decision.

I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a HTC M8. Very happy overall, but if the iPhone 6 is frikking amazing I would consider selling the M8 for it.

dutopia wrote: »
    I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a HTC M8. Very happy overall, but if the iPhone 6 is frikking amazing I would consider selling the M8 for it.

I'm waiting to see what the Note 4 is like compared to the iPhone 6 phablet. But after how crap the S5 user experience was I am not holding out too much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I had a Z1 and didn't find the battery life all that different to the 5s I have now.
    You must remember that the bigger battery was driving a much bigger display.
    Well that and google play services kept using huge chunks of battery in the background.

Also if you don't like tall thin phones you may not like the xperia's.

Advertisement