Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Thighs

• 08-08-2014 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

This is my go-to chicken thigh recipe. Very easy. Nigella's chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/chicken-with-40-cloves-of-garlic-recipe.html

I've also made the Hairy Dieters Spanish style chicken bake - very easy and deliciously chorizoy. http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/653540

The only other recipe of chicken thighs I've made that I remember (apart from just roasting them with lemon and thyme) is this Nevin Maguire casserole. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/0223/2998-chicken-casserole-with-bulmers/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You could do a nice tandoori chicken with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually put a mix of lemon juice and some rind, olive oil, garlic, honey and wholegrain mustard on mine and roast with sausages tucked in around them. It was originally a Nigella Lawson recipe and included all the flavours of a roast chicken but I changed the marinade and kept the sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Why did I never think of adding sausages to roast chicken? This could be life changing!

I love this Jamie Oliver recipe for crispy/sticky chicken thighs with potatoes & tomatoes. It's a one tray dish too! Although that convenience is balanced slightly by having to bone the thighs

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/crispy-and-sticky-chicken-thighs-with-squashed-new-potatoes-and-tomatoes-recipe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Generous helping of salt & pepper, put them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
    Mix honey & soy sauce 1:2 or so, and add in some asian five spice.
    Cover the chicken in this, and bang them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
    Anything bigger than thighs might need longer.

No effort required!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Why did I never think of adding sausages to roast chicken? This could be life changing![/url]

It is! You end up with a mound of crisp chicken thighs and sticky sausages :)

I put another tray in the oven with baby potatoes, tomatoes and onions and if I line the trays carefully with tinfoil and parchment, there's hardly any washing up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I eat a lot of chicken thighs. Here's what I do with them:

get some chicken thighs on the bone. Trim off any excess fat. Season all over with salt and pepper. Put them in a heavy pan, bone side down. With a veg peeler take off a few strips of lemon zest and put under the thighs with a good bunch of thyme.
    Put on a medium high heat for 5 to 10 minutes - you want the undersides to go golden and caramelised, not burn, and the thighs to start cooking from underneath.
    Baste the thighs with some of the fat that has rendered off the thighs, pour in a good glug of white wine or sherry or beer and put pan under a pre heated grill for a bout 15 minutes keeping an eye so the skin doesn't burn.
    You should end up with nice moist chicken (if it's pink it's under done), crispy skin and a delicious jus (best pored into a gravy separator to seperate off the fat).

Change the lemon and thyme for ginger and garlic and when done throw over some chopped fresh coriander, spring onion and chilli and a dash of soy and sesame oil and you have a nice Chinese flavoured version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I love this Jamie Oliver recipe for crispy/sticky chicken thighs with potatoes & tomatoes. It's a one tray dish too! Although that convenience is balanced slightly by having to bone the thighs

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/crispy-and-sticky-chicken-thighs-with-squashed-new-potatoes-and-tomatoes-recipe.html

I was just about to post this recipe. It's awesome.

Btw, what I do with the bones is roast them and throw them in a freezer bag until I've enough collected to make stock. I also throw the tops of onions/carrots/celery into the same bag any time I use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Why did I never think of adding sausages to roast chicken? This could be life changing!
    even more so if you use cocktails sausages (superquinn if poss.) with smoked streaky rashers wrapped around them! ;)

also, I always use de-boned thighs cut into three strips instead of wings for boneless buffalo wings. it only takes about 10 minutes to de-bone a pack of oyster thighs (it helps to pick out the pack(s) with fewer larger thighs than lots of little ones) once you get the hang of it and it's totally worth it. :)

failing that, peri-peri chicken is also very good.

stick your thighs in the below mixture overnight and throw it on the bbq the next afternoon, adding extra marinade as you cook.

================
    this is very much a "to your own taste" marinade, so just do what you like with it, I don't do a whole lot of measuring in my cooking, so this is only a very rough guide, but personally, I just throw it all in and go for it! :D

6-12 fresh red (or mixed) chillies
    1 bulb of garlic
    (optional) one bell or sweet red pepper (to bulk it up for a milder flavour if needed)
    1 teaspoon of good salt and pepper
    ½ teaspoon each of oregano & smoked paprika
    100ml of olive oil
    50ml of red wine vinegar

break up the garlic into cloves and place in a 200 degree pre-heated oven with the bell pepper (if used) and chilli's to roast for about 10-15 minutes, until they both start to brown and wilt.

now start with the salt, pepper, oregano & smoked paprika in a blender with the olive oil and vinegar and add about 1/3 of the garlic (peeled) and a couple of chilli's (whole, stalk off) and give it a blitz up and a quick taste to see how much more garlic and chilli you can handle, which is going to depend on how hot you like it and how powerful they are. :)

if you overdo it, you can just add more olive oil and vinegar so don't worry too much.

also, with the olive oil and vinegar this will last ages in a jar/bottle in the fridge, so feel free to make a big batch if you have the ingredients.
    ================

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

vibe666 wrote: »
    also, I always use de-boned thighs cut into three strips instead of wings for boneless buffalo wings. it only takes about 10 minutes to de-bone a pack of oyster thighs (it helps to pick out the pack(s) with fewer larger thighs than lots of little ones) once you get the hang of it and it's totally worth it. :)

Because of your post in the E&C Chicken wings thread this is how I make 'wings' these days, I have been known to wait till I'll be on my own and make a whole pack of wings all to eat on my tod over a night. It's so, so good! You're a life changing genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All this talk of chicken thighs inspired me to have some for dinner tonight. Got a pack of Free Range Oyster Thighs in Dunnes for €3. Made a marinade of essentially what was in the cupboards, soy sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, garlic, chilli, sesame oil, s&p, and bunged them on a wire in put them in the oven for a while. Absolutely delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It's so, so good! You're a life changing genius.

Haha, I try my best! :D

Didn't have any thighs today, but found some breasts in the freezer, so bashed them out flat, dipped in seasoned flour, then egg then flour again and they came out gorgeous with Frank's and butter.

Also discovered that cold leftover baked potatoes make the most amazing chips.

I'm getting SOOOO fat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had chicken thighs myself this evening. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

I'd recommend this lemon and oregano tray bake.

Cheap, simple and delicious. Also perfect when you're busy with other stuff, a quick check/add ingredients every 20 mins or so and very little cleanup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I've also made the Hairy Dieters Spanish style chicken bake - very easy and deliciously chorizoy. http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/653540

Thanks for posting this - I ended up making it on Sunday and have just polished off the last portion for lunch. It was delicious!

Advertisement