Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Audio/Visual Requirements. Any Help?

• 08-08-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi all

I was just looking for advice about av requirements in my home. Here is a overview of what I have so far:
    -I have 3 rooms downstairs and 3 upstairs .
    -Each room upstairs is has 1 coax and 1 cat6 cable at the location of TV, all cabled back to a central location (cabinet under stairs) .
    -Downstairs in my kitchen I have 2 speaker cables in 2 corners of the room at ceiling height and 2 locations with coax and cat6 for TV.
    -In the smaller sitting room I have speaker cable in all 4 corners of the room at ceiling height and also 1 coax and 1 cat6 in 2 alcoves for TV ( not sure witch corner TV will go)
    -In the the larger sitting (main) room again I have speaker cable in all 4 corners at ceiling height and 1 behind the TV also behind the TV I have 2 coax and 2 cat6. There is also in another corner 1 coax and cat6.
    -All of this cable is cabled to a central location under the stairs and housed in a cabinet.
    -There is also 2 coax and 1 cat6 cabled to the attic ( for satellite, free veiw).

For sound , what I want is a system that I can listen to music in all 3 rooms at the same time and each separately, that can be controlled by laptop, tablet or phone wirelessly I would also like to be able to ad wireless speakers upstairs and maybe out in the garden.

For video I would like to be able to have surround sound in main room, and I would like to be able to play DVDs, blue ray, in central location(cabinet) and watch in any room in house and to be able to access my hard drive in any room also.

The coax cables in attic is going to be for free view TV dish and maybe a foreign satellite dish which I would also like to be able to view in any room. I also have a digital TV box from UPC in main room this is also my broadband router I am planning to fit a network switch in my cabinet and use 1 cat6 from router to feed my switch and 1 coax to split my digital box (so I can also view in another room).

I think that's all the info but feel free to ask me anything I might have left out.

So what I'm hoping to find out is if all of the above is possible and what type of av receiver will I need and what speakers to buy.

Regards,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Your wiring is similar to mine.
    I have Sonos in all rooms for audio. This will not require any coax or Cat6, but the speakers to the Sonos ZP120 Amp will require speaker cable. You have that.
    For the rooms pre-wired for surround sound, any 5.1 AV receiver will do, they start cheap and get very expensive. You can then patch a Sonos ZP90 (the name is now changed) to the AV receiver using an optical cable. Add speakers to all cabled locations, and you now have surround sound for movies with the added benefit of Audio through the receiver/Sonos using your smart phone or similar.
    In your central location you would need a Switch to patch all your Network cables into. I would also recommend a NAS at this point also, patched into the switch (Synology are great make). This will hold all your Music, Movies and TV. Getting Disks (Bluray, DVD etc) is messier, Digital copies are better. If you have stuff on Disk, simply rip them to Digital copies. In your Bedrooms you will either need a Smart TV or TV with a Media Player to connect via DLNA to your NAS.
    With regard TV. You can watch that in a central location, and feed it out to all other TV's using a Triax Tri-Link , Sky eyes, and your COAX cables. Picture quality through the coax will depend on the TV, I have used Finlux TV's thru coax and they were sh!t, however the latest Samsung TV's are great for example. Needless to say, what you watch on TV is what you can watch on other TV's, but there are ways around this!
    Once done you can now play music in any/all rooms using Sonos (great piece of kit, it really is). You can watch TV in main room or any bedroom that's cabled, depending on setup, watch same TV or different. You can now also watch TV or movies in any room from your NAS.

Advertisement