Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Gaps

Options
  • 08-08-2014 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Ive a gap on my CV that employers keep asking about. Basically Im highly skilled in a field that has a good amount of work in. There really is no excuse to have been unemployed.

This gap is from 2004 and is just sitting there and causing me issues. Obviously employers dont say it out loud but I can see it in their faces when I say "almost 2 years out due to mental health issues" you can almost see the "No Chance" on their faces (despite the fact its now a full decade later and havent had a single issue since)

Anyway. Im thinking of changing it to say I was doing freelance work or something like that. I doubt employers do this, but is it possible for them to call the welfare and ask was there ever any payments made to such and such a person?

Or is there a better way to address this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Can you say you took a career break to go travelling for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

10 million percent- say travelling.

Unfortunately there is still a huge amount of stigma in Ireland about mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From 2004 till now, or two years then? If the latter, just fudge the truth - it's too long ago to be relevant and there is no chance of a non DSP employer knowing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not generally one for condoning lying in an interview, but given the stigma surrounding mental health in Ireland that remains to this day, I think a little creative time-accounting would be perfectly understandable.

You could probably just not disclose the exact reason for your "health issue" if and outright fabrication makes you uncomfortable, after a decade I really can't see the exact nature of your medical history is nobodies business (Perhaps bar in certain very sensitive jobs).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gunny558 wrote: »
    This gap is from 2004 and is just sitting there and causing me issues. Obviously employers dont say it out loud but I can see it in their faces when I say "almost 2 years out due to mental health issues" you can almost see the "No Chance" on their faces (despite the fact its now a full decade later and havent had a single issue since)
    Read up on some spirituality crap, and say you did some traveling to find yourself? May work if the job before and after the gap is different.

• Advertisement

If you didn't want to say travelling, could you say you were caring for a sick parent or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Went travelling sounds like a good one. Employment is a two-way deal though, you'd have to ask yourself if you want to sell your labour to someone who doesn't understand mental health problems, the arrangement might not be worth it to you. Most capable adults do understand though, unless you're really desperate for the job, you'd do yourself a favour to tell the truth and not have to deal with the stress of maintaining a lie. Even if it means letting the job off.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Fabrication of caring for a family member is probably the best. Depending on the gaps as its not clear from the above post. 2004 to now is going to be pretty tough lie to be fair. 2 years aint so much of a deal. For example have any of your previous jobs gone out of business? Its pretty common to extend the position on your CV.
    Whats the area your seeking employment in? Reference checking differ depending on the role. Have you looked at your local Jobs club run by DSP? Might be worth checking out.
    I have to disagree with the above post regarding being honest. While the person interviewing you may understand they also may understand the issue too well and unfortunately they may consider this a weakness or foresee sick leave. Never disclose issues like depression etc in an interview or in a work environment. I understand mental health issues but its never going to be a positive move in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Magenta wrote: »
    10 million percent- say travelling.

Unfortunately there is still a huge amount of stigma in Ireland about mental health.

That was my first thought too. But its such a massive lie. I dont want say I was globe trotting for 2 years when I was actually here.

I like the idea of freelance work because if they ever found out I was claiming benefits I would just say I was doing a little bit of freelance on the side that I didnt declare.

BTW: sorry for ambiguity I see some posters are wondering about up my dates. I was off from mid 2003 until early 2005. And as I said, its basically a decade ago and I received medical help at the time and here we are a decade later and havent had a single issue since.

Magenta wrote: »
    If you didn't want to say travelling, could you say you were caring for a sick parent or something?

Yeh I thought about that too, but again its the paper trail Im worried about. I think there is a special carers allowance? I never recieved that. If they call up and ask and it turns out I never recieved it it leaves me in a hole.

Sorry everyone, I know employers probably dont have time to be calling up all these different departments- and again I dont even know if these departments would hand out records to employers- but Im just so paranoid about having to lie. My worst nightmare would be to get a job and then be called into a room a month later and asked to explain why there are outright lies on my CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Sister in law of mine works in HR and always involved in screening cvs and in interviewing candidates.
    She told me if you're asked questions as here, just say it was for personal or family reasons.
    An interviewer isn't going to delve any deeper by asking what was wrong or who was sick etc.

If you use the travelling one have a story ready as to where you travelled what you liked etc. Then theres the possibility of you bluffing about 7 months you spent in the Solomon Islands and the interviewer says 'what a coincidence I was there too' Then you're in snooker land.
    The Personal reasons leaves less chance of catching yoursef out imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Better off sticking as close to the truth as possible and being honest with interviewers/ future employers. Of course you don't want to get tangled up in a web of lies in the interview either.

Rather than waiting for the interviewer to ask you should address this when discussing your cv and experience. This way you appear honest and not to be hiding from the gap in work, it also gives you more control over this part of the conversation. Firstly I wouldn't mention mental health reasons, personal reasons does not explain it and is basically saying "mind your own business" to the interviewer, health reasons is sufficient and is the truth. I would suggest advising them that you worked in XXXX until 2004 and unfortunately had to hand in your notice due to health reasons, you were very disappointed as you really enjoyed this job because bla bla bla, once you were in a position to return to work you interviewed for a XXXX role and you were successfull, you started the job with XXXX and it was exciting to get back into work.... Bla bla bla.

Also, I'm not sure how relevant your roles around that time are to the current jobs you're applying for and if you would even want to bring them up at all.

zubair wrote: »
    Better off sticking as close to the truth as possible and being honest with interviewers/ future employers. Of course you don't want to get tangled up in a web of lies in the interview either.

Rather than waiting for the interviewer to ask you should address this when discussing your cv and experience. This way you appear honest and not to be hiding from the gap in work, it also gives you more control over this part of the conversation. Firstly I wouldn't mention mental health reasons, personal reasons does not explain it and is basically saying "mind your own business" to the interviewer, health reasons is sufficient and is the truth. I would suggest advising them that you worked in XXXX until 2004 and unfortunately had to hand in your notice due to health reasons, you were very disappointed as you really enjoyed this job because bla bla bla, once you were in a position to return to work you interviewed for a XXXX role and you were successfull, you started the job with XXXX and it was exciting to get back into work.... Bla bla bla.

Also, I'm not sure how relevant your roles around that time are to the current jobs you're applying for and if you would even want to bring them up at all.

Zubair. Thanks for taking the time to write this. I'm definitely gonna give this a go. Its exactly what Im after, theres no lies and it reads a lot better than what I currently have. Fingers crossed employers think it sounds good too :)

And the job I was in before hand was with a big name company and very relevant (and the job before that too). I couldnt just not mention them on my CV at all.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Sister in law of mine works in HR and always involved in screening cvs and in interviewing candidates.
    She told me if you're asked questions as here, just say it was for personal or family reasons.
    An interviewer isn't going to delve any deeper by asking what was wrong or who was sick etc.

If you use the travelling one have a story ready as to where you travelled what you liked etc. Then theres the possibility of you bluffing about 7 months you spent in the Solomon Islands and the interviewer says 'what a coincidence I was there too' Then you're in snooker land.
    The Personal reasons leaves less chance of catching yoursef out imo

Yeh that was something else I was worried about with the travelling story. Its such a small world we live in I really could imagine that happening.

Employment is a two-way deal though, you'd have to ask yourself if you want to sell your labour to someone who doesn't understand mental health problems, the arrangement might not be worth it to you. Most capable adults do understand though, unless you're really desperate for the job, you'd do yourself a favour to tell the truth and not have to deal with the stress of maintaining a lie. Even if it means letting the job off.

Just because the interviewer is understanding doesn't mean the rest of the company will be. You can't just write off what could be a great place to work just because of 1 thing you don't agree with. Most companies are doing not-so-well in one area or another unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do you have to say "due to mental health issues"? I agree with you, you say that in an interview and most interviewers immediately mark you down in their head as a no. How about "I had a bit of a health scare at the time and it took me a while to recover, but that's all been fixed now". If they pry any more about the nature of the problem tell them "it's a bit personal so I really wouldn't be comfortable discussing it, sorry". For all they know, it might have been your rear end that exploded and you don't want to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I would go for health reasons. For all they know it could have beep a sore foot or cancer but you are fit for work so won't pry into it. With travelling you are creating more lies to keep up. With health reasons you are telling the truth and they shouldn't ask more questions, just explain they are no longer an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭vetinari

Personal reasons and hint at caring for a relative.
    Say something like "Helping out at home"

As someone else mentioned, no one will follow up on that.
    It's also 9 years ago at this point.

Advertisement