Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro 2033/Last Light Redux

Options
  • 08-08-2014 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

As someone who hasn't played either of the Metro games yet (my current PC is a bit naff), I must say I'm looking forward to the release of the Redux versions (because my future PC will rawk, yo).

Seems like Deep Silver and 4A are going about it the right way - there aren't just visual improvements to make the most of the latest hardware. The AI has been retooled, and the stealth and weapon handling from Last Light has been added to 2033. Add in some new areas and secrets to find, as well as Last Light's DLC, and it seems to be a great deal for those of us who haven't played the originals (for whatever reason). I'm not sure if there's enough here to warrant a repurchase from original owners though? What say you?!

Anyway, here's a comparison video of original vs redux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Played both games and loved them especially last light, I will definitely be picking these up at some point just not right away. As I say in every Metro thread read the book !!!!!!!! Even if you read after the games you will enjoy it immensely and it's not a long book either. I read it as I played the 2nd game and it just added to the sense of dread going into a black tunnel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

loved these games will pick them up if theirs enough new content

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I saw that trailer earlier. Looks really, really good. I'm getting it again for sure.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Played both games and loved them especially last light, I will definitely be picking these up at some point just not right away. As I say in every Metro thread read the book !!!!!!!! Even if you read after the games you will enjoy it immensely and it's not a long book either. I read it as I played the 2nd game and it just added to the sense of dread going into a black tunnel :eek:
    Seconded. The book Metro 2033 is great. The translation is a bit rough in places but its really worth reading. You can get the 'sequel' (that isn't actually a sequel given its a different main guy and story) on amazon. I'll be ordering it soon.

I actually found a channel with a lot of the audiobook, but not all of it, sadly. Here it is in playlist form of what I found: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLffrmT45OzGrDYJDb66BrMh_cXKk_MXk3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmmm I have this on pre order from amazon and I think I'll get the books too :-D.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I saw that trailer earlier. Looks really, really good. I'm getting it again for sure.

Seconded. The book Metro 2033 is great. The translation is a bit rough in places but its really worth reading. You can get the 'sequel' (that isn't actually a sequel given its a different main guy and story) on amazon. I'll be ordering it soon.

I actually found a channel with a lot of the audiobook, but not all of it, sadly. Here it is in playlist form of what I found: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLffrmT45OzGrDYJDb66BrMh_cXKk_MXk3

Audio and even the games are great for getting used to pronouncing the station names in the books !!!!!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Both good games, 2033 had afew rough edges, but with all the improvements their doing with it in Rudux, im looking forward to playing it again.

About the books - there is going to be a Metro 2035 that'll continue the story as was done in Last Light but with more details.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_2035

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    About the books - there is going to be a Metro 2035 that'll continue the story as was done in Last Light but with more details.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_2035

Awesome, still haven't read 2034 yet. I believe there is a legit english version available now.

Burgo wrote: »
    Awesome, still haven't read 2034 yet. I believe there is a legit english version available now.

How involved was Glukhovsky with the second game ? I don't know if I'd say it was canon or not (god I hate that term) BOOK SPOILER
    I always took it Artyom died after he took his mask off at the end of the Metro 2033 book

Burgo wrote: »

There is, I've started it...... 3 times now I think and always got distracted by something else, I'm finally going to get around to it this week !!!!! :D

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    How involved was Glukhovsky with the second game ? I don't know if I'd say it was canon or not (god I hate that term) BOOK SPOILER
    I always took it Artyom died after he took his mask off at the end of the Metro 2033 book
    http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/19/metro-redux-interview
    When we came to approach a sequel in Last Light, there was nothing in the material suitable for it. He had written a follow up [the novella 2034] which didn't really make sense as a video game story. He's described it to me as his first shot at an esoteric art-house novel, which isn't what we were looking for to continue Artyom's story. He's very much left on a cliff-hanger at the end of 2033 the novel, the conclusion of what he thought he was working for and realising he's been living under a huge misapprehension and that his actions will have dire consequences. Last Light is the redemption story. It brings Artyom around full circle. We brought the story to Dimitri, who really liked the idea, and instead of having a novel to work on he basically did all the pre-production stuff he would have done for a novel and gave all the story stuff to 4A to build on.

In a unique twist, he then decided that he'd like to write the novel of that, so the next novel, 2035, is basically the novelisation of Last Light with additional material.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Loved the 1st one, when i 1st got it it melted my PC. Lucky to get 1 fps.....left it for a while built 2 pcs since and then when i played it.

Waiting for last Light to be cheap on steam to get it, might get the redux version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Didn't realise that you can get these for half price if you already own the originals on Steam. I had 2033 left over from the Deep Silver Humble Bundle, added it to my Steam account just now and lo and behold, the Redux version is now a tenner, with the bundle being €30.

Also ordered the books. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Really thinking of getting this now,looking at the trailers and a few previews on Eurogamer it looks like the game really benefits from next gen console treatment,and a lovely locked 60fps on both consoles if digital foundry are to be believed. The PC version,its mostly 2033 that benefits from what i read and gets a fidelity upgrade and a few extras from Last Light,so a good deal there if you have never played either on PC.

Also £27.99 on amazon for the game on X1/PS4. Fair price imo. Slightly dearer on PC at £29.86 on amazon,no idea why but personally id be using a key site on PC anyway

Heres the release trailer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Couple of questions, as I have never played any of these -

Are they scary? :(

Are they worth splashing out on? Is there enough to keep me playing for hours on end?

Is there a stealth element?

• Corvo wrote: »

Are they worth splashing out on? Is there enough to keep me playing for hours on end?

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

Corvo wrote: »

I'm not sure I'd call it scary. They're great games and you should get them for sure though.

• Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd call it scary. They're great games and you should get them for sure though.

Defiantly some really scary moments; the part in the
    library
    freaked me out in Metro 2033 as did the
    Spider layer
    in Last light

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes

*buys Super Mario instead*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

$7.50 on amazon today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Corvo wrote: »
    *buys Super Mario instead*

:(

Your name suggests you'll be well able for Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

For those of you interested in the work that went into these and the general development issues surrounding their porting onto the XBox One and PS4, Digital Foundry had another excellent interview with their CTO Oles Shishkovstov.

Metro Redux: what it's really like to develop for PS4 and Xbox One

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

gizmo wrote: »
    For those of you interested in the work that went into these and the general development issues surrounding their porting onto the XBox One and PS4, Digital Foundry had another excellent interview with their CTO Oles Shishkovstov.

Metro Redux: what it's really like to develop for PS4 and Xbox One

Read it yesterday,very interesting indeed.

Nice to see an interview without all the marketing speak that devs are so fond of these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oak76 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that you can get these for half price if you already own the originals on Steam. I had 2033 left over from the Deep Silver Humble Bundle, added it to my Steam account just now and lo and behold, the Redux version is now a tenner, with the bundle being €30.

Also ordered the books. :D

Own both. No discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Own both. No discount.

You were too slow. That offer expired in the last couple of days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's around €17 for both on G2Play and a few others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone get this in GameStop for ps4/Xbox 1? I dispose there charging 60 bucks for it are they :D?

Anyone get this in GameStop for ps4/Xbox 1? I dispose there charging 60 bucks for it are they :D?

was 44.99 on the web site, but thats still the sucker rate, argos have it for 36.99 !!!!! cha-ching :pac:

Digital is 39.49 eu on xbox one

• calex71 wrote: »
    was 44.99 on the web site, but thats still the sucker rate, argos have it for 36.99 !!!!! cha-ching :pac:

Digital is 39.49 eu on xbox one

Smyths = 39.99

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Smyths = 39.99

Argos it is for me so, have a €5 off voucher for them too :)

Advertisement