Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seapoint, Dun Laoghire

• 08-08-2014 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Not long back from a dip at Seapoint. And by dip, I mean just flute-in around in the water, I can barely swim : (
    First time out there, lord god, 'twas lovely.

I was in Portugal about a month ago where the temp was over 30 degrees and I went in the ocean at 2pm and found the water very very cold.

This evening in Seapoint at about 7:30pm the water felt lovely, felt way warmer than the Portugal water. And I'm sure the temperature was only about 18 degrees this evening.

Is is only me or does that sound weird - that the water in Seapoint this evening felt a lot warmer than Portugal ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

No it's not, main thing is when the tide is out the sun is beating down on the sand and when the tide is coming back in the sand is nice and warm and naturally heats up the water and this is especially felt just at the start, the further you go out the temps do drop but not by much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

mad m wrote: »
    No it's not, main thing is when the tide is out the sun is beating down on the sand and when the tide is coming back in the sand is nice and warm and naturally heats up the water and this is especially felt just at the start, the further you go out the temps do drop but not by much.

Thanks for reply.

Do you know if there Are there any or many jellyfish at sea point ?

Thanks for reply.

Do you know if there Are there any or many jellyfish at sea point ?

To be honest Tom, you'd want to be very unlucky to get stung. There can be many Jellyfish there and most are Moon jelly fish which do sting but is harmless to us. Mains lion are the ones to watch out for, the odd one you might spot on bottom of sea bed or as I tell other swimmers give the buoys a wide berth as they can get tangled around them.

Thanks mad m. Any other dangers at sea point, weird currents etc ?

Thanks mad m. Any other dangers at sea point, weird currents etc ?

No just when tide is out take note of rocks and their locations. Also if there is heavy rain it will flow into Seapoint/windsurfer so you might get a lot of slush stuff. Think there is a pumping station based at windsurfers pier across from Seapoint.If there is really heavy rain divert to 40ft. Other than that enjoy your dips and don't venture out too far.

• Advertisement

No just when tide is out take note of rocks and their locations. Also if there is heavy rain it will flow into Seapoint/windsurfer so you might get a lot of slush stuff. Think there is a pumping station based at windsurfers pier across from Seapoint.If there is really heavy rain divert to 40ft. Other than that enjoy your dips and don't venture out too far.

Thanks. Yeah, I feckin cut me leg off a rock last night.

Where exactly is the 40ft ?

Any other safe swimming places around Dublin ?

Thanks. Yeah, I feckin cut me leg off a rock last night.

Where exactly is the 40ft ?

Any other safe swimming places around Dublin ?

Drive towards Dun Laoghaire keep going straight along Coast till you come to T junction, take right and Sandycove is just down a bit. 40ft at back. Kiliney is a nice spot also, but can get deep quite quickly, and can be colder as it's deeper. There's Portmarnock, low rock and high rock.

Thanks.

Question : how long shoukd I stay in the water at this time of year ? Taking in to account that I'm only moping around and not doing full swimming etc.

It really depends on day. But once the teeth start chattering its time to get out. Start off with 10mins then build your resistance up.

It really depends on day. But once the teeth start chattering its time to get out. Start off with 10mins then build your resistance up.

Get ya. Presume that is without a wetsuit etc.

Unknown to Meself I was in the other night for 25 mins and no teeth chattering at all. But maybe that's cause I don't go out to the deep water where it's probably colder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement