Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crate to small

• 08-08-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi can I just ask for peoples opinions please. Our dogs are crate trained although we never lock them so are more like an indoor kennel. We have two extremely large ones and a small one in the living room as well as 3 separate beds. The puppy uses the larger crates and her bed as she chooses however she also insists on getting into the smallest crate sometimes and curls up to sleep even though it's to small. I worry this is going to do her harm although it is her choice and she's clearly comfortable.

Removing the smaller crate is not an option as sometimes the smaller dog uses it.

Do I try to discourage her or leave her as she's clearly happy to be in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If she can get in and turn herself around to lie down, then although it may be small, it's not too small for what she wants it for!
    Whilst I'd never tell anyone to set out to get a too-small crate, some dogs love, really love a bed that holds them into a curled-up or scrunched-up position without them having to expend any energy or effort to hold themselves in that position! So, it kinda sounds like that's what your dog is doing :)
    Do you think you could post a pic of her in the crate? Just for the aww factor :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    If she can get in and turn herself around to lie down, then although it may be small, it's not too small for what she wants it for!
    Whilst I'd never tell anyone to set out to get a too-small crate, some dogs love, really love a bed that holds them into a curled-up or scrunched-up position without them having to expend any energy or effort to hold themselves in that position! So, it kinda sounds like that's what your dog is doing :)
    Do you think you could post a pic of her in the crate? Just for the aww factor :o

+1
    My dog used to squeeze himself into the puppy crate and LOVES to snooze in a plastic car crate we have in the kitchen - especially in winter because it's beside the radiator. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

DBB wrote: »

Thanks that's reassuring, yeah she can turn around in it :-).

I'll get pictures next time she's in it as she does look cute all curled up.

tk123 wrote: »
    +1
    My dog used to squeeze himself into the puppy crate and LOVES to snooze in a plastic car crate we have in the kitchen - especially in winter because it's beside the radiator. :p

Thanks, the crate is under the window so perhaps it's cooler for her.

Just didn't want her doing herself harm but she looks so peaceful in there ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Lexi the staffie does the same, given the choice she will curl herself into the Yorkies crate. She loves smaller beds. I would never let her sleep there at night but during the day is find for naps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

We've 2 huskies where only one used to sleep. They're very happy sharing the crate, and I've even found them both in the one side - curled up together...

A452A146-7994-424A-A508-E393F8CF3D4B_zpsnrqcl8iw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Did you make the divider yourself Hooked or buy it?

Not very good because if I'd moved to get camera she'd have been out of there expecting something nice lol.

The last one is just too cute not to show off lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

tk123 wrote: »
    Did you make the divider yourself Hooked or buy it?

Sorry tk123, only saw this now. Post wedding horrors!

Yep, made it myself. Got a scrap piece of mesh (the tough 2 inch boxed steel type) off a mate and cut to size with an angle grinder, left the ends long to bend around the existing top and back.

Ths online ones were 40 quid! Madness

Currently in the process of cutting up two bikes to make a Dog scooter! Watch this space!!!

Advertisement