Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Horse Show 2014 on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This thread comes up every single year. There's always someone who isn't happy with the opening credits. Personally, I've never minded them.
    I also don't really care that one of the members of a team happens to have a famous father. Heck, her father could be jumping himself and I wouldn't think it would warrant a headline. Then again, I never really got the appeal of famous figures...
    Congrats to the USA on winning the Aga Khan and hard luck to the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

sup_dude wrote: »
    This thread comes up every single year. There's always someone who isn't happy with the opening credits. Personally, I've never minded them.

I didn't say I wasn't happy with these titles; I said I wasn't happy with the titles used beforehand. :);)

I'm sure there were a lot of non-RTE people who liked those painty, waltzy titles - and I wouldn't disrespect any of them for that. Just as I wouldn't disrespect anyone who likes Sinead Desmond or Republic of Telly. :)

It's just that I myself hated those titles, and still can't quite believe that RTE held on to them for as long as they did... :mad: :rolleyes: :o:)

I also don't really care that one of the members of a team happens to have a famous father. Heck, her father could be jumping himself and I wouldn't think it would warrant a headline. Then again, I never really got the appeal of famous figures...

The point I was making was not that RTE should be paying more attention to Jessica because of her dad - it was that they should be paying more attention to her because of her achievements in the last two days.

I'd say the same for any non-Irish rider who happened to be doing extremely well at the RDS - regardless how famous their parents were.

Talk about the Irish riders by all means - but don't dedicate at least two-thirds of each article to them unless there's a very good reason for doing so... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :);)

Talk about the Irish riders by all means - but don't dedicate at least two-thirds of each article to them unless there's a very good reason for doing so... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :);)

Like, for instance, when they take the first nine places in the Puissance, and Billy Twomey also wins the Accumulator. ;)

Don't, however, type up and upload the article as though it all has to be done within two minutes... :rolleyes: :o;)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2014/0809/636148-rds-round-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Like, for instance, when they take the first nine places in the Puissance, and Billy Twomey also wins the Accumulator. ;)

Don't, however, type up and upload the article as though it all has to be done within two minutes... :rolleyes: :o;)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2014/0809/636148-rds-round-up/

The bit that annoyed me this yr was on Friday 5 pm news on national radio station sports news.
    The biggest day for irish showjumping with the competition being held in.Ireland.
    And

The golf news came first
    The women's rugby next ( although they deserve a mention)

News about an English soccer club.
    And finally
    " Ireland are lying 7th place in the RDS "

I was raging. Like one sentence!!!

monflat wrote: »
    The bit that annoyed me this yr was on Friday 5 pm news on national radio station sports news.
    The biggest day for irish showjumping with the competition being held in.Ireland.
    And

The golf news came first
    The women's rugby next ( although they deserve a mention)

News about an English soccer club.
    And finally
    " Ireland are lying 7th place in the RDS "

I was raging. Like one sentence!!!

Well, it's fair to say that RTE's commitment to show jumping is much less than it was 20 years ago...

...or even 10, for that matter.

'Cause in the mid-2000s, they showed highlights of all the other rounds of what was then the Samsung Super League.

These highlights may have gone out at midnight on RTE2, but it still indicated a greater commitment to the sport than today.

Today, all they show is the last three days at the RDS - and then only the biggest event on each day (Aga Khan, Puissance, Grand Prix), with barely five minutes of highlights from the other events... :(

• Advertisement

And as if to underline the above, they chose not to let the Grand Prix coverage overrun at all - meaning we only got a few seconds of Bertram Allen lifting the trophy before Robert Hall said a quick goodbye and they went straight to the RTE Sport endcap. :rolleyes:

One day, perhaps, they'll become seriously interested in show jumping again. It's probably not very likely that they'll bring back that brilliant theme tune in any way, though...

Advertisement