Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close to cabinet but Efibre not available?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I am living near Charleville, Co. Cork and your map shows I am 330m from a live VDSL cabinet [RLC1_003] but when I enter my phone number in your system it says Efibre is not available. I would like to find out if this is a mistake and if not, what kind of delay there will be before I get Efibre

Whichever support person replies to this, I will PM you my home phone number along with a map showing where I am in relation to the cabinet. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

nathan184 wrote: »
    I am living near Charleville, Co. Cork and your map shows I am 330m from a live VDSL cabinet [RLC1_003] but when I enter my phone number in your system it says Efibre is not available. I would like to find out if this is a mistake and if not, what kind of delay there will be before I get Efibre

Whichever support person replies to this, I will PM you my home phone number along with a map showing where I am in relation to the cabinet. Thanks for your help.
    Hi Nathan184, yes PM me your landline and we can check this. Map will not be necessary.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Thanks Tony. PM Sent.

Is there any feedback on this Tony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Is there any feedback on this Tony?

Hi nathan184

Tony is not available at present however I've looked in to this and I've been in contact with efibre operations.

The reason for your line's inability to hold efibre is due to the cabinet not serving your specific area, although efibre cabinets serve a distance of 2KM this is only upon a predefined route and Cooleens is not on its route.

At present there are no plans that would suggest if efibre will reach you this year however operations do feel that we should have some news for your area in mid 2015.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for checking this Alan.

• Advertisement

Thanks for checking this Alan.
    No worries nathan184

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

Would you mind checking with operations again for an estimate of when this work will take place? I can PM you my landline number again if you need it.

Hi Alan,

Would you mind checking with operations again for an estimate of when this work will take place? I can PM you my landline number again if you need it.
    Hi nathan184

I still have your details thanks. No worries, Ill get back to you as soon as I have clarification.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

Did they reply to you yet?

In this map the entire area around Charleville is marked as "now available" but it seems like everywhere on my side of the main road is still without it. (including the village of Balllyhea about 2km from my house).

I know the map is just an indication but it would be nice to know if the work will be completed in a few months or a year.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Alan,

In this map the entire area around Charleville is marked as "now available" but it seems like everywhere on my side of the main road is still without it. (including the village of Balllyhea about 2km from my house).

I know the map is just an indication but it would be nice to know if the work will be completed in a few months or a year.

Thanks for your help.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi nathan184

While the shaded green area can be interpreted to suggest all lines in the area can avail of efibre this is not the case, which is why there is a specific note located above the map advising: Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

This is because the deployment of efibre is based on the commissioning and launch of efibre (VDSL) cabinets which serve a defined route of up to 2KM.

Efibre operations did get back to me advising that Unfortunately there is still no cabinet planned to service your line/address however that is not to say there never will be as plans to expand the fibre network will continue in to the future but at this moment in time eircom will be unable to offer you a time frame of when to expect efibre broadband I'm sorry to confirm.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

Thanks for checking anyway. Could you help me with one more question?

Since we won't get any upgrade from Eircom, would we be covered by the National Broadband Plan even though we are in an area which is "to be covered by commercial operators by the end of 2016"?

Hi Alan,

Since we won't get any upgrade from Eircom, would we be covered by the National Broadband Plan even though we are in an area which is "to be covered by commercial operators by the end of 2016"?
    Hi nathan184

As your line can already get broadband this would not apply. The national broadband plan is in relation to areas which cannot get any type of broadband.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Hi Alan,

Hi nathan184

As your line can already get broadband this would not apply. The national broadband plan is in relation to areas which cannot get any type of broadband.

Thanks
    Al
    Actually all areas marked yellow will be covered by the NBP regardless if the area has broadband or not. Odds are it will not happen though. 

Also OP if your house is in a blue area chances are Eircom will be covering you by 2016. 

Hi Chris, yes it was my understanding that the NBP applies to the entire country. Blue areas are where commercial operators have indicated they will provide a minimum of 30Mbit download speed by the end of 2016. If they fail to do so then the government will "intervene" to provide it.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your help.

Hi nathan184

While the shaded green area can be interpreted to suggest all lines in the area can avail of efibre this is not the case, which is why there is a specific note located above the map advising: Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

This is because the deployment of efibre is based on the commissioning and launch of efibre (VDSL) cabinets which serve a defined route of up to 2KM.

Efibre operations did get back to me advising that Unfortunately there is still no cabinet planned to service your line/address however that is not to say there never will be as plans to expand the fibre network will continue in to the future but at this moment in time eircom will be unable to offer you a time frame of when to expect efibre broadband I'm sorry to confirm.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

It's been a few months now, would you mind asking Efibre operations about any plans in my area again? I will PM you my details again.

Thanks,

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your help.

Hi nathan184

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

It's been a few months now, would you mind asking Efibre operations about any plans in my area again? I will PM you my details again.

Thanks,
    Hi nathan184

Sure, I'll request clarification from our networks team and get back as soon as I have more information

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan,

Did the guys get back to you yet?

Anything now?

Advertisement