Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds say its 2.2 km from Sligo; its actually 3.2 km

Options
  • 08-08-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was in Sligo town in Union st. (near TD's pub) and I could not help but notice a huge big billboard up on the wall on the other side of the street advertising McDonalds restaurant, and it claiming in huge letters it was only 2.2 km away. Anyway, curiosity got the better of me, I set the tripometer thing on the car and I drove through the traffic to get there. I arrived in the car park of McDonalds, was glad I drove, it was no less than 3.2km. Would that be correct-I took the most direct route, up mail coach road. Another big billboard add for McD in the Dunnes car park in town claimed it was only 2.2km too. Try it for yourself.

It got me thinking, if they can be this far out on a simple measurement, what other measurements, weights of volumes, may they be inaccurate with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Was in Sligo town in Union st. (near TD's pub) and I could not help but notice a huge big billboard up on the wall on the other side of the street advertising McDonalds restaurant, and it claiming in huge letters it was only 2.2 km away. Anyway, curiosity got the better of me, I set the tripometer thing on the car and I drove through the traffic to get there. I arrived in the car park of McDonalds, was glad I drove, it was no less than 3.2km. Would that be correct-I took the most direct route, up mail coach road. Another big billboard add for McD in the Dunnes car park in town claimed it was only 2.2km too. Try it for yourself.

It got me thinking, if they can be this far out on a simple measurement, what other measurements, weights of volumes, may they be inaccurate with.

It would be as they crow flies, otherwise they would have to put the measurement of every route from the sign to McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

First world problems eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sunnysinead

billie1b wrote: »
    It would be as they crow flies, otherwise they would have to put the measurement of every route from the sign to McDonalds

lol. No distances between destinations are as the crow flies. If someone asks how far is Dublin from Sligo, it by road. I checked with the AA. Never as the crow flies.

lol. No distances between destinations are as the crow flies. If someone asks how far is Dublin from Sligo, it by road. I checked with the AA. Never as the crow flies.

If you use your GPS or Sat Nav in your car and type two destinations, it will give you the distance 'as the crow flies', its only when you click on go that the full distance comes up. AA route planner wouldn't be my first or last choice to use anyways

If you want to know how far it is to a restaurant, do you fly or go by road? All cars can measure distance by the mileometer or tripometer or whatever it is called, beside the speedo: relatively few have sat nav or can do a vertical take off, helicopter flight and land.

Besides, all other signposts on land are for distances by road.

• Advertisement

If you want to know how far it is to a restaurant, do you fly or go by road? All cars can measure distance by the mileometer or tripometer or whatever it is called, beside the speedo: relatively few have sat nav or can do a vertical take off, helicopter flight and land.

Besides, all other signposts on land are for distances by road.

You're not understanding it at all, 'as the crow flies' means in a straight line, not by air, the 2.2km is in a straight line

You're not understanding it at all, 'as the crow flies' means in a straight line, not by air, the 2.2km is in a straight line

Its more than 2.2 km in a straight tine too.

The point is, the sign was beside a road. All other road signs I have ever seen in Ireland and all other countries which refer to destinations and distances are by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It's a pity you posted this on a Friday night, now we have to wait until Monday to ring Joe.... :pac:

Its more than 2.2 km in a straight tine too.

The point is, the sign was beside a road. All other road signs I have ever seen in Ireland and all other countries which refer to destinations and distances are by road.

I just did it on my distance calculator on my maps, straight line was 2.2km, then 3 different routes, Route 1 - 2.8km, Route 2 - 3.2km and Route 3 - 4.5km. Billboards are not road signs, they will generally give you a straight line distance so you'll think 'ah thats not too far', road signs are done to the kilometre, different thing altogether.

Billboards are not road signs, they will generally give you a straight line distance
    Please tell me of another billboard which directs you to a destination by road but which misleads you by giving a "as the crow flies" distance. By road it is 3.2km. Any distances I ever saw on signs beside the road are by the road. Billboards are just another type of sign. Misleading advertising I would have thought, at best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lads. Its a advert for a less than average takeaway. Get over it.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

2.5km as the crow flies according to Google Earth....... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

From TD's did you take the dual carriageway or old road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

google maps has it at 2.9km by road if you go the short way
    if you go the long way its further

why is there a thread on this and no thread on sligo live?

From TD's did you take the dual carriageway or old road?

Surely the DC. Isn't parts of the town closed for the festival.

:pac:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Surely the DC. Isn't parts of the town closed for the festival.

:pac:

Not yet AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Tigger wrote: »

Because we're getting the important issues out of the way first, then we can get to everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I have not been in Sligo in years. Is McDonalds still on connells street. Then surely from tds across by the harp bar down to the post office is only about 1km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The most Irish thread I've seen on boards.

I have not been in Sligo in years. Is McDonalds still on connells street. Then surely from tds across by the harp bar down to the post office is only about 1km

Moved out of there years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly they ordered the sign for another spot but had to move it?
    Or it's just another sign of an evil corporation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

It's only a matter of time before the AH crowd get wind of this and ruin this thread discussing a genuinely serious issue on Sligo for the rest of us...

biko wrote: »
    Possibly they ordered the sign for another spot but had to move it?
    Or it's just another sign of an evil corporation...

No its just a second sign saying the same thing.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Tigger wrote: »

The fact that people think Sligo Summer Festival is Sligo Live is almost as important as McDonalds trying to con us out of petrol. Town's gone to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The fact that people think Sligo Summer Festival is Sligo Live is almost as important as McDonalds trying to con us out of petrol. Town's gone to hell.

shup

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. This should be on the News. I haven't seen the sign but does it say how many times you have to walk there and back to burn off a meal? This would exclude the DC from the equation and make calculations more simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Pity it's not 22km. Would still be too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Please tell me of another billboard which directs you to a destination by road but which misleads you by giving a "as the crow flies" distance.

The other one in the Dunnes stores car park you mentioned?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When is Sligo getting a Burger King?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

How is he not understanding it???

As the crow flies ... By air ... In a straight line are all the same things .

Advertisement