Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds say its 2.2 km from Sligo; its actually 3.2 km

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When is Sligo getting a Burger King?

Could be a long wait, there used be one in o Connell street, there also used be a mc donalds on o Connell street too. Neither franchise were able to compete with the might of the big four sauce and skipped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

How is he not understanding it???

As the crow flies ... By air ... In a straight line are all the same things .

No its not, in the air is travelled by the great circle, thats how

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

promethius wrote: »
    Could be a long wait, there used be one in o Connell street, there also used be a mc donalds on o Connell street too. Neither franchise were able to compete with the might of the big four sauce and skipped!!

Was there not rumors of them opening on Castle St.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭The Singing Beard

billie1b wrote: »
    No its not, in the air is travelled by the great circle, thats how

What???!!!

The crow flies in a straight line !! Like planes too. How else can you get there without extra spacial dimensions?

What???!!!

The crow flies in a straight line !! Like planes too. How else can you get there without extra spacial dimensions?

The crow maybe, planes and ships, no, they travel in an arc, not a straight line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The crow maybe, planes and ships, no, they travel in an arc, not a straight line

As the crow flies is a term that refers to the distance between two places on a map via a straight line. Forget about arcs, curvature of earth etc!

It really is THAT simple!!

frag420 wrote: »
    As the crow flies is a term that refers to the distance between two places on a map via a straight line. Forget about arcs, curvature of earth etc!

It really is THAT simple!!

Yeah I know that, I dont think the OP understood the term 'as the crow flies'

Ehhh that's because the world is round so when you look at a flat map they take that into account, Mr. Colombus. Did you know the world was round?

What would planes have to gain by flying in an arc hence increasing their journey??

I have a PPL btw.

Ehhh that's because the world is round so when you look at a flat map they take that into account, Mr. Colombus. Did you know the world was round?

What would planes have to gain by flying in an arc hence increasing their journey??

I have a PPL btw.

Well then you should know know why a plane flies in an arc and not a straight line if you have a PPL.

Well then you should know know why a plane flies in an arc and not a straight line if you have a PPL.

Because of the curvature of the Earth.

It's a straight line on a globe but a curve on a map.

If you drew a line on a ball and flattened it, you'd have a curved line.

Google Maps takes this into account (great circle).

Birds would obviously follow the great circle too duhhhh

• Advertisement

Because of the curvature of the Earth.

No, its because its the shortest distance, an aircraft can fly at 35,000ft in a straight line, it will just take longer and use more fuel, flying the great circle route is shorter and saves time and fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

OP that sucks. It's not the biggest problem with the bast food scene in Sligo though. When I was passing by yesterday there was a sign alongiside N15 saying that Supermacs was 2 minutes away. Had I been walking past that when hungry would have been an absolute disaster because even on my motorbike it took me a couple of minutes to actually make it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think you're all stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

This is the best thread on boards imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Opposite in Dundalk. The billboard states 1.5km. The real distance is about 500 metres. Not that I'd ever be going into McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

seany15 wrote: »
    This is the best thread on boards imho

The curvature of the earth and pilot license argument makes it if you ask me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Meanwhile back at the ranch........... where are Burger King going into on Castle Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

This conversation is simply enthralling!!

How have AH not intercepted this thread yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Meanwhile back at the ranch........... where are Burger King going into on Castle Street?

You'll know when you see someone in a BK uniform measuring the distance from TD's to Castle street, lets hope he gets it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

How do they get the crows to fly in a straight line? And how does the crow know how far they went - do they wear a GPS watch or something. And how does the crow tell anybody how far it took him - they can't even talk?

It's utter madness, Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

ectoraige wrote: »
    How do they get the crows to fly in a straight line? And how does the crow know how far they went - do they wear a GPS watch or something. And how does the crow tell anybody how far it took him - they can't even talk?

It's utter madness, Joe.

They don't even pay road tax Joe.....

Advertisement