Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shop removed all labels from dress

• 08-08-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just wondering your opinion on the following.

I purchased a dress from a well know boutique style shop in Cork city however when I went to look for washing instructions and any type of label, brand name etc they have all been quite obviously removed.

I did a little bit of online research and found almost identical dress on a well known online retailers site for £15, I paid €44... I'm very suspicious that labels were removed for a reason.

To be honest I'm not terribly happy, I would like to voice my concerns with the shop. Returning the item would be a lot of hassle as I live 2 hrs away.

Has this happened to anyone else? I would hate for it to happen to anyone else, lesson for me is to check for label before buying!

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

By law all clothing should have the fabric composition on the label and country of manufacture along with size and wash care instructions.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/product_safety_and_labelling/standards_for_product_labelling.html

So I would think that you should be entiled to a refund if you wish.

It sounds very suspicious alright, it could even be a second hand item?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Thanks Rosebush for the link, My suspicion is that the shop bought the dresses from this online retailer, removed all tags and then sold the dresses on for a much higher price.

It's not the first time I have had an issue with the shop, they are really pushy when it comes to selling, telling me I looked amazing in a dress that was obviously ill fitting and unsuitable for my body shape.

Thinking of also sending an email to the national consumer agency to inform them if malpractice. I am that mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Teach30 wrote: »
    Thanks Rosebush for the link, My suspicion is that the shop bought the dresses from this online retailer, removed all tags and then sold the dresses on for a much higher price.

It's not the first time I have had an issue with the shop, they are really pushy when it comes to selling, telling me I looked amazing in a dress that was obviously ill fitting and unsuitable for my body shape.

Thinking of also sending an email to the national consumer agency to inform them if malpractice. I am that mad!

You never noticed it had no labels when you tried it on. Unfortunate I guess, but looks like lesson wasn't learned the first time they gave you wrong advice. Hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this Op and take your business elsewhere in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you say you've found an almost identical dress
    is it the same or not?

the boutique shops will always be dearer than an online retailer the overheads and cost base are totally different but i doubt they are buying off a retailer, maybe a common wholesaler

what do you wish to report them for? not having a label ?

if you want your money back then go in and tell them that your dress should have proper labeling and that you want to return it

they have the option to give you another dress with the required label tho, hell i think they could probably stitch one on to comply

By law all clothing should have the fabric composition on the label and country of manufacture along with size and wash care instructions.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/product_safety_and_labelling/standards_for_product_labelling.html

So I would think that you should be entiled to a refund if you wish.

It sounds very suspicious alright, it could even be a second hand item?

did you read your own link?

lol
    There is no legal requirement for producers of non-food items for example, clothing, etc.) to show the country of origin on the label. This means the manufacturer is not obliged to state that an item was made in Ireland or abroad. Labels instructing you how to wash and maintain items may be desirable on an item but are not required by law. In other words, manufacturers are not obliged to put washing or any maintenance instructions on goods, but they can if they wish.

you do however have to label the composition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I think I know the shop you are talking about. In Douglas? A friend brought a dress she had bought there to be dry-cleaned. They asked her if she had bought it in the Far East as there were no care labels on it. It's illegal to sell dresses with no care labels. She would have brought it back but she really liked it!

Jogathon wrote: »
    I think I know the shop you are talking about. In Douglas? A friend brought a dress she had bought there to be dry-cleaned. They asked her if she had bought it in the Far East as there were no care labels on it. It's illegal to sell dresses with no care labels. She would have brought it back but she really liked it!

it is not illegal to sell a dress with no care labels
    why do you think it is
    what law is it

There was no label at all on this dress. That is illegal.

However, ethically, I think that they are trying to pass off dresses that are made cheaply in the East with poorer quality material as being a high-end product. Perhaps not wrong, but distasteful.

However, ethically, I think that they are trying to pass off dresses that are made cheaply in the East with poorer quality material as being a high-end product. Perhaps not wrong, but distasteful.

stuff made cheaply in the east is constantly being sold as high end
    you don't have to have its origin on clothing if its not made in the eu it will probably no have an origin on it

if you don't like the shop don't shop there but don't confuse ignorant retail practices with illegal ones

No I didn't notice the dress had no labels attached when I bought it.

The dress is identical to a dress on boohoo.com exact same print and colour.

Labels have been obviously removed, cut away very badly leaving behind threads. It was also the last dress left so I can not compare it to another in the shop.

I would like to know what material the dress is made from as I like to wash clothes correctly in the hope they will last longer.

I won't be returning to the shop as I believe what they have done is to unethical. Obviously I can't prove this but I can voice my concern and I will be contacting the shop and letting them know my concerns.

Lastly no it is not a shop in Douglas, it was city centre based.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Apart from the labels issue. It sounds very much like a case of seeing the dress elsewhere which was cheaper and just wanting to return it so you can buy it at the cheaper price.
    You were quiet happy to pay €44euro for it initially.
    If you're happy with it, just consider the cost of getting back to the shop and home again. At least a 5 hour round trip.
    Granted you may have an issue with the labels not being there but a call to the shop should advise you on whether it can be machine washed. I don't buy dresses but I always look at the labels not least to verify the size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you saw it online for €80 euro would you be so unhappy about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most designer brands like Tommy Hilfiger are made in China and have no problem admitting they make their goods in China. Unless you buying in Zara (make some of their goods in europe) or a proper luxury brand like Hermes or Prada. Assume the item was made in a sweat shop somewhere.

Apart from the labels issue. It sounds very much like a case of seeing the dress elsewhere which was cheaper and just wanting to return it so you can buy it at the cheaper price.
    You were quiet happy to pay €44euro for it initially.
    If you're happy with it, just consider the cost of getting back to the shop and home again. At least a 5 hour round trip.
    Granted you may have an issue with the labels not being there but a call to the shop should advise you on whether it can be machine washed. I don't buy dresses but I always look at the labels not least to verify the size.

I can't seem to find where u got the idea that I have an issue with the price?

I have no problem with having paid the €44. I would be very hesitant to buy a cheaper dress as I relate cost with quality. I also like to try items on when buying, I have never bought clothing online.

I should add that the shop had put their own tag on the dress, a piece of paper stating shop name, price of item and the size.

I could easily post the dress back to the shop but to be honest I couldn't be bothered, as I said I like it but I won't be buying from the store again as I believe it has blatantly removed labels and sold it on at a much marked up price to what it is really worth. In fairness upon reflection I should have left it but I can't buy online so had no other choice!

If you saw it online for €80 euro would you be so unhappy about it?

Oh definitely it's not exactly a well designed item and the fit is not great, it's the colours I like in it and I will get a few wears out of it. I haven't an issue with the price just the fact the labels were removed and the shop made a profit from selling items on.

Oh definitely it's not exactly a well designed item and the fit is not great, it's the colours I like in it and I will get a few wears out of it. I haven't an issue with the price just the fact the labels were removed and the shop made a profit from selling items on.

YOU DON'T THINK THE SHOP SHOULD MAKE A PROFIT?

Tigger wrote: »
    YOU DON'T THINK THE SHOP SHOULD MAKE A PROFIT?

Are you for real?

So your telling me you think it is perfectly acceptable for a retailer to buy clothing from another shop, remove all traces of identity with other brand and then re-brand them and sell on to the consumer?

If it is fine then why don't other retailers do it? Shops could easily bulk buy clothing from Penny's remove labels and then sell on for a much higher price, why don't clothing stores do it , well I would imagine because it is unethical.

I like promoting and buying in local boutiques but if this is a common occurrence I think I will stick with other well know high street or department stores. At least they leave the labels on their items.

Are you for real?

So your telling me you think it is perfectly acceptable for a retailer to buy clothing from another shop, remove all traces of identity with other brand and then re-brand them and sell on to the consumer?

If it is fine then why don't other retailers do it? Shops could easily bulk buy clothing from Penny's remove labels and then sell on for a much higher price, why don't clothing stores do it , well I would imagine because it is unethical.

I like promoting and buying in local boutiques but if this is a common occurrence I think I will stick with other well know high street or department stores. At least they leave the labels on their items.

if you are bulk buying you buy from a wholesaler put whatever you want on the labels and sell it for a profit
    mark up on clothes is in the hundreds of % in all shops

I think that maybe Tigger is taking this a little personally. Is the disapproval for this practice cutting too close to the bone?

I think that maybe Tigger is taking this a little personally. Is the disapproval for this practice cutting too close to the bone?
    i'm a carpenter

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote: »
    if you are bulk buying you buy from a wholesaler put whatever you want on the labels and sell it for a profit
    mark up on clothes is in the hundreds of % in all shops

Exactly you buy from a wholesaler, you don't buy from another outlet and remove all traces of previous label and then sell on to customer.

Price aside, I believe it is morally wrong but perhaps my ethics differ from yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

How do you know if they bought from another outlet and not a wholesaler?

suds1984 wrote: »
    How do you know if they bought from another outlet and not a wholesaler?

I don't. Read back through thread, I have continually said I suspect they have.

I don't. Read back through thread, I have continually said I suspect they have.

Have you asked the shop where you bought the dress why the labels were removed/ cleaning instructions?

my ethics are fine thank-you
    i don't see a difference between buying from pennys or from a wholesaler
    if the shop is representing the clothes as something they are not then thats fraud but i believe that the rise in people going in to a shop trying stuff on and then buying it online is why the retailers are sterilizing the clothes so you can't use their premises as a showroom for the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters- this is a warning to stop sniping and arguing. Further arguments will result in bans etc

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

It used to be the case that boutiques and vintage shops would go to the designers in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan or have reps do it for them, or they'd pick up vintage clothes from the markets in London and come back with suitcases or ship stuff back. Nowadays businesses are looking up Chinese manufacturers online and bulk ordering them.

It seems to remove a little of the honesty of the endeavour where the store could ensure they were getting good quality items but putting on a significant mark up whereas now they get cheap anonymous items and still put on a significant mark up.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    It used to be the case that boutiques and vintage shops would go to the designers in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan or have reps do it for them, or they'd pick up vintage clothes from the markets in London and come back with suitcases or ship stuff back. Nowadays businesses are looking up Chinese manufacturers online and bulk ordering them.

It seems to remove a little of the honesty of the endeavour where the store could ensure they were getting good quality items but putting on a significant mark up whereas now they get cheap anonymous items and still put on a significant mark up.

the current client wants the same for cheaper
    that's not possible so boutique shops are making do
    the real boutique shops that haven't dropped their prices (€44 for a boutique shop dress ?) are still charging the real prices and supplying what the always have

its not about markup anymore for some small businesses its about price per converted customer

if you need to make €30 per customer (thats €37 with vat ) then you need to tag €37 on to each price
    so on an €18 dress (from boohoo) €44 is not that much
    if it was a €400 dress you wouldn't even notice

suds1984 wrote: »
    Have you asked the shop where you bought the dress why the labels were removed/ cleaning instructions?

No haven't had the opportunity to contact the store but I shall report back with their explanation when I do receive a response.

• Advertisement

No haven't had the opportunity to contact the store but I shall report back with their explanation when I do receive a response.

Yes it would be interesting to hear! Can't imagine if they got it from boohoo what benefit it would be to remove the labels from the dress, unless the label states boohoo on it. (Haven't purchased from boohoo so not aware, if labelled boohoo or not) Only thing I would think is that boohoo would have more buying power so would be able to purchase cheaper stock than a single boutique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Contact the shop by phone or email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I can't seem to find where u got the idea that I have an issue with the price?

I have no problem with having paid the €44. I would be very hesitant to buy a cheaper dress as I relate cost with quality. I also like to try items on when buying, I have never bought clothing online.

I should add that the shop had put their own tag on the dress, a piece of paper stating shop name, price of item and the size.

I could easily post the dress back to the shop but to be honest I couldn't be bothered, as I said I like it but I won't be buying from the store again as I believe it has blatantly removed labels and sold it on at a much marked up price to what it is really worth. In fairness upon reflection I should have left it but I can't buy online so had no other choice!

Is it <SNIP> you are talking about? I have had issues with them before. They definitely operate a huge mark up too

Advertisement