Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

wes wrote: »
    So we are to take the word of proven liars apparently......

Not at all, I'd say he is calling for a yes vote in the same sex marriage referendum too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

So we are to take the word of proven liars apparently......

Well how about this source...

https://syrianfreepress.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/clerics-calling-for-jihad-in-syria-are-nothing-more-than-hypocrites-shame-on-them/
    Zoghbi LIES, and claims, (regarding the Shiites), “They came to them (the Sunni), and slaughtered their sons, and humiliated their women. Their children and infants are slaughtered with knives in front of their fathers and mothers. Girls, women and mothers were raped by the rafidite (derogatory term), Shiites.
    In this video, he instructs men, the proper way to discipline your wife. The third option is to beat your wife. “If he beats her, the beatings must be light and must not make her face ugly. He must beat her where it will not leave marks…”
    May 24 and 31 – Egyptian Cleric Muhammad Zoghbi calls for the “ANNIHILATION OF JEWS, SHIITES, BASHAR, TO DESTROY ARAB LEADERS, SHIITE IRANIANS, HEZBOLLAH, HASSAN NASRALLAH, SHIITES OF IRAQ, ANNIHILATION OF SHIITES.”

All from Syrian Free Press

At least he is consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The channel that has that video is run by ex-israeli intelligence officers.They have been caught mis-translating before amongst other ****e.

Have you evidence that they mis-translated this video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The tide seems to be turning in Iraq, the army and militia's have taken a couple of towns on the road to Tikrit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The channel that has that video is run by ex-israeli intelligence officers.They have been caught mis-translating before amongst other ****e.

so thats not what he is saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Jaysus lads....use better sources to back up your phobia.Its tainted.Its like using russia today to say putin is the dogs bollox or using presstv to tell everyone what an utopia iran is.

so thats not what he is saying?

dont know as I dont speak arabic but not gonna rely on an ex israeli intelligence run hasbara 'charity' for any accurate translation of anything to do with the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jaysus lads....use better sources to back up your phobia.Its tainted.Its like using russia today to say putin is the dogs bollox or using presstv to tell everyone what an utopia iran is.

And the very same people would be on whining about that source. Funny that. :pac:

In any case, this is one guy. Pointing at him as some sort of representative for Islam in its entirety is like pointing at Ian Paisley and claiming that he's a spokesperson for Protestants everywhere.

That fact that there are religious gobshites preaching fire and brimstone is nothing new.

Ok, will keep an eye out for a Guardian op to balance it out rather than rely on the words from his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The tide seems to be turning in Iraq, the army and militia's have taken a couple of towns on the road to Tikrit.

ISIS are a ragtag grouping of losers, saying it for months now they have been in free fall all across Iraq and are getting desperate with their videos. Any half decent military unit tears them to pieces in battle. They'll be yesterdays news in no time.

• Advertisement

ISIS are a ragtag grouping of losers, saying it for months now they have been in free fall all across Iraq and are getting desperate with their videos. Any half decent military unit tears them to pieces in battle. They'll be yesterdays news in no time.

ISIS are about 30,000 strong.

This has disadvantages, obviously, but also has advantages. A small number such as this can easily disperse if the need arises and make engaging a difficult, if not impossible, task.

However, with the right intel, any armed force in the Middle East should be able to combat them.

The problem is, ISIS are not something that was formed by committee, one Sunday afternoon. They are an amalgamation of personnel from many different groups, including Al Qaeda, Al Nusra and even the FSA, and offshoots with the same goals can spring up anywhere.

Tony EH wrote: »

This has disadvantages, obviously, but also has advantages. A small number such as this can easily disperse if the need arises and make engaging a difficult, if not impossible, task.

However, with the right intel, any armed force in the Middle East should be able to combat them.

The problem is, ISIS are not something that was formed by committee, one Sunday afternoon. They are an amalgamation of personnel from many different groups, including Al Qaeda, Al Nusra and even the FSA, and offshoots with the same goals can spring up anywhere.

Christ, I agree and feel the need to like one of Tony's posts...
    must resist...

dont know as I dont speak arabic but not gonna rely on an ex israeli intelligence run hasbara 'charity' for any accurate translation of anything to do with the middle east.

There's no secret who founded Memri, no secret who is on their current board, and what their objectives are.

I suggest boardsies draw their own conclusion, based on what critics have to say, and what others say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

reprise wrote: »
    Not at all, I'd say he is calling for a yes vote in the same sex marriage referendum too.

Memri are still proven liars, why you choose to basically deny that is beyond me.
    obplayer wrote: »
    Well how about this source...

Here is an idea, maybe start with that source next time, as opposed to a group of proven liars. It always amazes me when people expect people to believe a well known Israeli propaganda outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

ISIS are far bigger than 30K, its not possible to control an area the size of the UK with millions of people with just 30K fighters

some people claim ISIS have close to 200K fighters

Most observers, including the CIA, have put their number at around 30,000+. No doubt there is fluctuation, but it's nowhere near 200,000.

Only one person has claimed a number of 200,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Most observers, including the CIA, have put their number at around 30,000+. No doubt there is fluctuation, but it's nowhere near 200,000.

Only one person has claimed a number of 200,000.

its far closer to 200K than 30K

they need to fight Assad's army in syria, the Iraqi army, the Kurdish forces and control the towns and cities they have captured, its just not possible with 30K fighters

I would bet that 30K might be the number of foreign ISIS fighters

Memri are still proven liars, why you choose to basically deny that is beyond me.

Should I wait for the Irish Times or the Guardian to tell me nice stories unvarnished of spin?

The only person claiming a figure of 200,000 is Fuad Hussein, a Kurd, and the suspicion is that he's inflating the number in an effort to receive more help from foreign aid. But there has been nothing shown to back such a figure up in any way, shape or form.

The general consensus is, however, that ISIS numbers hover around the 30,000+ mark. I take the + to mean upward to anywhere around 50,000, with new recruits, those with shifting loyalties and losses taken into account. This may be a conservative number, but I take it as far more accurate than anything like 200,000, which is only coming from one source.

Either way, ALL figures are speculation, which is why consensus from observers of the area is the best to settle on at present.

Should I wait for the Irish Times or the Guardian to tell me nice stories unvarnished of spin?

Again, Memri have been proven to have faked translations in the past. It is also well known that they are a basically an Israeli propaganda outfit. The Daily Mail and Fox news are far better sources than Memri, who again are unapologetic liars.

They have 0 credibility and expecting anyone to take them serious is an absurdity. The fact that your are expending so much effort defending a propaganda outfit is hilarious, and even more so, when they are proven liars. So if you want to defend a propaganda outfit, more power to you.

• Advertisement

Again, Memri have been proven to have faked translations in the past. It is also well known that they are a basically an Israeli propaganda outfit. The Daily Mail and Fox news are far better sources than Memri, who again are unapologetic liars.

They have 0 credibility and expecting anyone to take them serious is an absurdity. The fact that your are expending so much effort defending a propaganda outfit is hilarious, and even more so, when they are proven liars. So if you want to defend a propaganda outfit, more power to you.

What's hilarious is your obsession with the messenger and blissful ignorance of the message.

What's hilarious is your obsession with the messenger and blissful ignorance of the message.

Sure, and even the ISIS propaganda guys point say something that is true on occasion, but most people have the good sense not to use them as a source......

Now I imagine, in such a situation, lots of people would be having a go at the messenger in that case.

So, once more Memri are liars, and yet you defend them, and use them as a source. Now common sense would surely be, not to use a source that people will rightly question, even if in that instance there telling the truth.

Sure, and even the ISIS(..........)telling the truth.

Common sense would be to see if the message is corrupted or not. But, I see you still want no part of that.

I see a common theme.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94635760&postcount=3247

^^^^ When you have finished shooting the messenger...

So what do critics of Memri say?

The Guardian! (albeit in 2002)
    says "Nobody, so far as I know, disputes the general accuracy of Memri's translations but there are other reasons to be concerned about its output"
    and
    ""On the other hand, few challenge the accuracy of Memri's translations: unpalatable though they are, the texts Memri finds are all too real."

Ibrahim Hooper of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (funded by Saudi, ties to Hamas etc.) "Memri's intent is to find the worst possible quotes from the Muslim world and disseminate them as widely as possible."
    (but they are quotes...)

one critic references one major misquote:
    Not a day passes now we do not witness corporate media claims Ahmadinejad wants to wipe Israel off the map. In fact, Ahmadinejad said the “regime that is occupying Qods [Jerusalem] must be eliminated from the pages of history.” He did not say Israel must be wiped off the map.
    big difference folks.

from Wikipedia:
    one critic:
    Memri..."cleverly cherry-pick the vast Arabic press, which serves 300 million people, for the most extreme and objectionable articles and editorials
    & another:
    Memri..."consistently picks the most violent, hateful rubbish it can find, translates it and distributes it in email newsletters to media

There's no need to cite those supportive of Memri's work, sure they are just Zionist-neocon-capitalist-imperialist-dogs from the great Satan
    Yes its a pro Israel media outlet, its exposing the virulent anti-semitism prevalent in ME. Yes it's guilty of selectively translating media from Arabic into English, but the translations are generally accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭keanosbeard

You don't know how true you are.

The thing is " The Messenger " ain't Memri.

I must admit it is a million times funnier than being gay in a Muslim country.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Who's surprised they ain't to doing more to crush ISIS ...? but again, who's surprised at all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpFq98aApgg

:rolleyes:

This old chestnut, doesn't go away..

Steve012 wrote: »
    Who's surprised they ain't to doing more to crush ISIS ...? but again, who's surprised at all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpFq98aApgg

:rolleyes:

This old chestnut, doesn't go away..

any chance of a synopsis?Not watching a 10 minute video of Russia Today interviewing a conspiracy theorist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

so what's the story with is' alleged use of poison gas? have they found saddam's hidden wmd or what?

Advertisement