Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options
1119120121122123125»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder will we see that guy with the same thing carved into his head next week?

Eye for an eye predates Christianity and Judaism. The jews pretty much nicked all their ideas from the mesopotamians. Including this line and stories like the great flood, which they copied almost word for word only changing the shape of the boat.

Well all great narratives have some basis in fact. Some anthropologists believe that the reason the flood myth persists in several cultures in that areas is because it is an oral history of a true event that probably pertains to the end of the ice age.
    Naturally sea levels dropped dramatically during the ice age. Europe and North Africa were joined by a land bridge and the Med pretty much dried up. Then the Northern hemisphere defrosted that land bridge was breached and the Med filled back up in what must have been a spectacular fashion as the atlantic literally poured in.
    I'd imagine many settlements that had encroached on the low shores of the Med were wiped out in a 'biblical' fashion while many others sought dry land in boats and were forced into a migration to new shores. The first animal bones, from species originally from the Middle East, that have been found on the Greek Islands date from this period suggesting that indeed people and their animals arrived in Europe from the East by boat after a great flood disposessed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the ice age flooding took place over decades, if not centuries. I don't think all the ice caps melted in one fell swoop and caused a massive flood, so most people wouldn't have noticed it happening, although it would have changed the coastline of the world and probably forced people to move.

The area around mesopotamia flooded regularly as far as I remember, along the same lines as the nile flooded regularly. Every so often a more severe flood would happen and I can see the myth growing out of the fear of the big one. But I don't think anyone could say that's the root of the myth, as with the egyptians the floods were a major part of their existence, their whole year revolved around the floods, they could be destructive but at the same time essential to their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I think the ice age flooding took place over decades, if not centuries. I don't think all the ice caps melted in one fell swoop and caused a massive flood, so most people wouldn't have noticed it happening, although it would have changed the coastline of the world and probably forced people to move.

The area around mesopotamia flooded regularly as far as I remember, along the same lines as the nile flooded regularly. Every so often a more severe flood would happen and I can see the myth growing out of the fear of the big one. But I don't think anyone could say that's the root of the myth, as with the egyptians the floods were a major part of their existence, their whole year revolved around the floods, they could be destructive but at the same time essential to their existence.

Well it certiantly didn't happen in 40 days. But it would have been very fast. Sea levels didn't rise slowly in the Med basin, when the land bridge between Spain and North Africa collapsed and the build up of meltwater behind it poured in it would have been pretty biblical. I believe that there parts of the Med that still have a couple feet of salt at the bottom from when it effectively became a lake that slowly dried up.

conorhal wrote: »
    Well it certiantly didn't happen in 40 days. But it would have been very fast. Sea levels didn't rise slowly in the Med basin, when the land bridge between Spain and North Africa collapsed and the build up of meltwater behind it poured in it would have been pretty biblical. I believe that there parts of the Med that still have a couple feet of salt at the bottom from when it effectively became a lake that slowly dried up.
    The flooding of the med happened 5 million years ago though, didn't it? And Mesopotamia isn't anywhere near the mediterranean, It's over near India.

conorhal wrote: »
    Thinking about it again you may be thinking of the black sea flooding. It's not agreed that it happened but it may have flooded suddenly around 5000bce. It would have basically been a knock on event from the med flooding and probably exacerbated by the end of the ice age.

• Advertisement

Thinking about it again you may be thinking of the black sea flooding. It's not agreed that it happened but it may have flooded suddenly around 5000bce. It would have basically been a knock on event from the med flooding and probably exacerbated by the end of the ice age.
    I read somewhere once that an ice dam was breached in North America that caused a sudden rise in sea levels, sufficient to breach into the black sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just thought I'd bump this, in all the excitement about Brexit it been almost entirely overlooked that ISIS have been booted out of their 2nd most important strategic position- the city of Falluja about 40km west of Baghdad. Mosul is next for clearing out.

Obviously its coming a great cost but bit by bit ISIS are being squeezed on a number of fronts having seen them routed in Ramadi and in Sirte in Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

At the same they presumably carried out the Istanbul attack. So like a wild animal being cornered they are going to lash out more often with the soft target bombings. After ISIS who is next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Deco99 wrote: »
    After ISIS who is next?

Pretty much whoever declares themselves as the enemy of the western world next.

These guys are small time really and while it is awful that they can pull off terror attacks where hundreds die, they are usually completely eradicated within a few years.

For every one person they kill, the US/UK/whoever kills tens of them. There's only so many times training camps/strongholds can be vapourised before people decide being a radicalized militant is a poor career decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Pretty much whoever declares themselves as the enemy of the western world next.

These guys are small time really and while it is awful that they can pull off terror attacks where hundreds die, they are usually completely eradicated within a few years.

For every one person they kill, the US/UK/whoever kills tens of them. There's only so many times training camps/strongholds can be vapourised before people decide being a radicalized militant is a poor career decision.

They need to follow these guys home too. As these positions and camps are being overrun, there will likely be tens of thousands of documents and records from the IS quasi state of fighters, supporters, money flow etc. All of this needs to be fully exploited to identify the backers and sympathisers hiding outside of ISIS territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did anyone hear anything about this in the news? It happened about 3 weeks ago and I've just come across it today. I don't know how much lower they can go.

http://aranews.net/2016/06/isis-extremists-burn-death/

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Did anyone hear anything about this in the news? It happened about 3 weeks ago and I've just come across it today. I don't know how much lower they can go.

I heard about it alright it happened, Pure Scum, Jesus I'd love to meet a few unarmed Isis ******s, round up some mates, even though they are trained in hand to hand combat, still love to meet some of these creatures, they don't even come under the definition of humans to me.. I think they have jinn's pulling their strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

horrible, and all in a day’s work for isis…and the truly scary thing is that isis aren’t doing anything mohammed didn’t do or wouldn’t approve…folks in the west just tend to not get it…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If they (isis to be clear) cannot subjugate you they kill you.

Kill the infidel!, now where does it say that, oh yeah, that's right, in the ....

Advertisement