Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Iraqi air force and fighters with the Kurdish peshmerga carried out a dramatic rescue mission Monday at Mount Sinjar, taking supplies to desperate Yazidis and bringing some on board the helicopter to make it safely out.

A CNN crew was on the flight that took diapers, milk, water and food to the site where thousands of people have been driven by ISIS (video)
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/world/meast/iraq-rescue-mission/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    The heli rescued maybe 20 or so, still 40 000 Yazidis left for ISIS to find...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

biko wrote: »
    The Iraqi air force and fighters with the Kurdish peshmerga carried out a dramatic rescue mission Monday at Mount Sinjar, taking supplies to desperate Yazidis and bringing some on board the helicopter to make it safely out.

A CNN crew was on the flight that took diapers, milk, water and food to the site where thousands of people have been driven by ISIS (video)
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/11/world/meast/iraq-rescue-mission/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    The heli rescued maybe 20 or so, still 40 000 Yazidis left for ISIS to find...

Thanks Biko. Heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I feel really conflicted about all these pictures that are being posted everywhere of people with their heads cut off and children with guns being pointed at them, etc. I understand that people want to expose what's really happening there, but I can't help but feel that to a group like ISIS, knowing that pictures of what they're doing are being published around the world is probably like validation to them in their fcuked up minds. They probably want everyone to see it because they think what they're doing is righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have the tin-foil hat on here again.. crazy conspiracy theories are flashing into my mind... here is the latest...

Boko Haram are a covert CIA operation - Washington Informer

Again. To what end? What have they achieved in doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The US acts to serve its own interests, always. A happy outcome of that is that they can then arm certain groups with their own wares.

There's nothing 'difficult' about it. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of examples of the US politically supporting certain groups or militias, because it made geo-political sense for them to do so at the time, only for those same groups to later emerge as threats to the US..

And so the cycle continues...
    I think you misunderstood the point I was making. I said encouraging military conflict to try and increases sales for arms manufacturers is a risky and needlessly difficult way to make money if it's money that's motivating them. That was what was being implied. I never said anything about them supporting groups/militias for political gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

mad muffin wrote: »

You don't strike me as completely thick, yet you keep on asking very innocent questions. Do you honestly not realise that there are profits to be made from instability and conflict or do you literally see the entire world as some sort of straight line black and white paragon of innocence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yes.

well I also agree with you, ISIS should be obliterated and every effort should be made by the internationally community to ensure the protection and safe passage out of Iraq, of the innocent people that are trapped and who's lives are endangered.

I find it hard to comprehend why the US army can't dispose of this crowd.

Rumsfeld had us believe, back in 2001 during the bombing of Baghdad, that the US had highly accurate and sensitive missile striking capabilities, which no one doubts... its all on youtube.

What puzzles me further is why Obama has just announced that ISIS is a bigger problem than was first perceived. How can they be? ISIS have approx 4,000 'fighters' in their ranks in Iraq. How hard can it be to halt an army of 4,000?

Just to put it in perspective, the Irish army have 7,510 personnel.

I feel really conflicted about all these pictures that are being posted everywhere of people with their heads cut off and children with guns being pointed at them, etc. I understand that people want to expose what's really happening there, but I can't help but feel that to a group like ISIS, knowing that pictures of what they're doing are being published around the world is probably like validation to them in their fcuked up minds. They probably want everyone to see it because they think what they're doing is righteous.

It's them that are posting the pictures? They know what they are doing

You don't strike me as completely thick, yet you keep on asking very innocent questions. Do you honestly not realise that there are profits to be made from instability and conflict or do you literally see the entire world as some sort of straight line black and white paragon of innocence?

Sigh....same ole same ole....

well I also agree with you, ISIS should be obliterated and every effort should be made by the internationally community to ensure the protection and safe passage out of Iraq, of the innocent people that are trapped and who's lives are endangered.

I find it hard to comprehend why the US army can't dispose of this crowd.

Rumsfeld had us believe, back in 2001 during the bombing of Baghdad, that the US had highly accurate and sensitive missile striking capabilities, which no one doubts... its all on youtube.

What puzzles me further is why Obama has just announced that ISIS is a bigger problem than was first perceived. How can they be? ISIS have approx 4,000 'fighters' in their ranks in Iraq. How hard can it be to halt an army of 4,000?

Just to put it in perspective, the Irish army have 7,510 personnel.

They don't want to get embroiled again. Anyway, if they go in, it will only encourage more insurgency. That's the problem.
    Pllus the cynics will say they are in there for oil.....

• Advertisement

What profits? Who exactly is profiting from this?

LorMal wrote: »
    It's them that are posting the pictures? They know what they are doing

Well, yeah, I was assuming that it's ISIS who are originally releasing them, but then western publications are re-publishing themselves on their own sites. Some Irish online publication just published them tonight and it came up on my newsfeed on Facebook. I don't know what they're hoping to achieve apart from shock-factor, because it just seems like it's giving ISIS the kind of attention they probably thrive on.

Sigh....same ole same ole....

Very true. Have you considered some form of further education? Perhaps a History course may benefit you?

Well, yeah, I was assuming that it's ISIS who are originally releasing them, but then western publications are re-publishing themselves on their own sites. Some Irish online publication just published them tonight and it came up on my newsfeed on Facebook. I don't know what they're hoping to achieve apart from shock-factor, because it just seems like it's giving ISIS the kind of attention they probably thrive on.

It's horrible but I suppose it helps to motivate a response - unfortunately it seems it's always left to the Americans. It would be great to see the EU or the UN do something but I think it would be too little too late.
    That's why all the American bashing annoys me so much. At least they try.

Nigeria is resource-rich and has the largest population and work force in Africa, but it is a nation divided by tribal and religious lines (thank the UK for that as usual).

Nigeria is a poor country ruled by a corrupt elite who are in collusion with oil giants BP, Shell, Chevron etc. If Nigeria remains divided, then there will almost certainly be no challenge to UK, US and Holland's oil interests in the country. To keep Nigeria divided, trouble needs to be stirred every now and then.

The long-term goal of the US is to eliminate Nigeria as a potential strategic oil rival to the US in the African continent.

Very true. Have you considered some form of further education? Perhaps a History course may benefit you?

You guys come in here and other similar threads with your proof of USA/UK/Israel axis of evil, destabilising the Middle East with faux Islamic terror groups. That claims they are doing so for profit and political gain. Yet cannot show how this is manifesting?

Nigeria is resource-rich and has the largest population and work force in Africa, but it is a nation divided by tribal and religious lines (thank the UK for that as usual).

Nigeria is a poor country ruled by a corrupt elite who are in collusion with oil giants BP, Shell, Chevron etc. If Nigeria remains divided, then there will almost certainly be no challenge to UK, US and Holland's oil interests in the country. To keep Nigeria divided, trouble needs to be stirred every now and then.

The long-term goal of the US is to eliminate Nigeria as a potential strategic oil rival to the US in the African continent.

Why aren't they doing this to the Gulf states then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

What profits? Who exactly is profiting from this?

for an idea of how turmoil is used to the advantage of corporations and creates increased profit i suggest you read the shock doctrine by Naomi Klein, a very detailed book which covers the financial winners from was such the 2003 wars in iraq very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I think you misunderstood the point I was making. I said encouraging military conflict to try and increases sales for arms manufacturers is a risky and needlessly difficult way to make money if it's money that's motivating them. That was what was being implied. I never said anything about them supporting groups/militias for political gain.

so you think these corrupt fcuks are driven to do what they do for political gain only?? do yourself a favour and google image for the charts mapping who's profiting from the endless war on terror that's been going on since 2011.
    Of course - its beyond ridiculous. The internet is a breeding ground for these conspiracy theorists. No burden of proof. As Nodin wrote earlier, it is impossible to argue with them - irrespective how outlandish the theory. In my experience, they don't want to listen to a reasonable argument - they will refuse to accept a logical, rational explanation (that's just being 'naive').
    Most of it seems to be focused on the USA.
    If the Americans were 10% as strategic and devious as these guy think, they would not have stumbled from foreign crisis to foreign crisis in the last 15 years. Alas, the truth is much more prosaic - they tend to be reactive, naive and slow footed when it comes to international affairs.

stumbled away making fist fulls of cash, keeping the price of oil exceptionally high, enabling the continuation of the war on terror for 15 years now and there's no end in sight. slow americans me bollocks!!

They don't want to get embroiled again. Anyway, if they go in, it will only encourage more insurgency. That's the problem.
    Pllus the cynics will say they are in there for oil.....

the US dont have to 'go in' ... as in boots on the ground?

Surely they can do it from the air, via drones.

An army of 4,000 jihadists? my god, come on... the RA would have taken them in their day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

smurgen wrote: »
    for an idea of how turmoil is used to the advantage of corporations and creates increased profit i suggest you read the shock doctrine by Naomi Klein, a very detailed book which covers the financial winner from was such the 2003 war in iraq very well.

we're drowning in proof of all this, there's literally 100's of cases proving on record the yanks and more have been stirring **** and guess who comes out on top all the time????????

Because they own the Gulf states and supply is guaranteed. Nigeria, Iraq, Libya etc, well they might choose to play ball with the chinese or the Russians - they all quietly opted to drop the dollar as the standard currency and adopt the Euro, but that got quashed on it's arse asap..as did any ideas of deserting OPEC and it's handy quotas. Oh feck, you thought the wars were to do with WMDs and religion?

smurgen wrote: »
    for an idea of how turmoil is used to the advantage of corporations and creates increased profit i suggest you read the shock doctrine by Naomi Klein, a very detailed book which covers the financial winner from was such the 2003 war in iraq very well.

Yeah. That's why Ireland is in the shíter…

because of the Saudi influence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

because the have favorable regimes in place in the gulf states. why do you think saudi arabia gets away with such scumbag behavior? it's because they supply a relatively cheap steady source of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Becoming more evident about the diversity of the ISIS ISIL jihadists, as this fella came as far from Sydney to render his sacred services and chances are these fiends would be readmitted to their western home countries when they are finished with their ferocious slaughtering.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705008/Australian-jihadist-poses-decapitated-heads-sickening-pictures-posted-online.html

so you think these corrupt fcuks are driven to do what they do for political gain only?? do yourself a favour and google image for the charts mapping who's profiting from the endless war on terror that's been going on since 2011.

stumbled away making fist fulls of cash, keeping the price of oil exceptionally high, enabling the continuation of the war on terror for 15 years now and there's no end in sight. slow americans me bollocks!!

That makes no sense. It has cost them trillions.

It's horrible but I suppose it helps to motivate a response - unfortunately it seems it's always left to the Americans. It would be great to see the EU or the UN do something but I think it would be too little too late.
    That's why all the American bashing annoys me so much. At least they try.

Well, they probably have some obligation to the place since the toppling of Saddam Hussein's regime and everything that's happened in the wake of that. Iraq has become something of a haven for terrorists by the looks of things and it must be worrying at the least for the US to see the ease with which ISIS have taken over since their departure. I don't know that what they're doing is going to be enough really. These limited strikes are not going to do much to stop the march onwards, I don't think. If anything, it's probably just practice for ISIS in how to deal with airstrikes. I read an article today where a Pentagon planning advisor said that this is a well-organised, well-equipped group, something I don't think we've seen before with militant groups in the Middle East. And furthermore, these people are not afraid to die. I think this is a different kettle of fish to what we're used to, honestly. Al Qaeda don't even want anything to do with the fcukers supposedly.

the US dont have to 'go in' ... as in boots on the ground?

Surely they can do it from the air, via drones.

An army of 4,000 jihadists? my god, come on... the RA would have taken them in their day.

Perhaps they have learned that it's easy to go in, but another story to extract

• Advertisement

Because they own the Gulf states and supply is guaranteed. Nigeria, Iraq, Libya etc, well they might choose to play ball with the chinese or the Russians - they all quietly opted to drop the dollar as the standard currency and adopt the Euro, but that got quashed on it's arse asap..as did any ideas of deserting OPEC and it's handy quotas.

In the main, all commodities are traded internationally using the US dollar.

In 2000, Sadam planned to drop the Dollar in favour of the Euro to trade oil.

The US moved on him within 12 months.

In 2011, Gadafi planned to launch the African Dollar, and use it in place of the US petro-dollar to trade oil. The US moved on him within months.

Last year, Iran began swapping oil for commodities such as gold, with India, China and Turkey, instead of using the US dollar.

3 American aircraft carriers moved towards Iran via the Gulf of Oman within a week of this.

Advertisement