Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given what ISIS want its best not to engage them directly. Use air power and the existing opposition forces. The Peshmerga are nothing if not ready for a fight as they've had to fight for so long. Its hard for Islamic State to portray this as fight against the infidel Crusaders if there are no infidels to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Dr Ali al-Saleh, imam at the Shia mosque in Milltown in Dublin, has warned that Islamic extremists are active in Ireland.

He said Ireland is not doing enough to combat the threat of ISIL, the terrorist group which controls vast swathes of Iraq and Syria.

"They (ISIL members) live here, they are active at the level of small circles, giving lectures, talking to the youth," Dr Saleh told Newstalk Breakfast.

"This is a problem. We've said that from the beginning, now we have it. We didn't tackle it from the beginning. It is a duty of us, the Imam, to talk openly against those things.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-irish-muslim-warns-isis-operating-in-ireland-and-authorities-not-doing-enough-to-combat-threat-30582764.html#sthash.gLAbaCmK.dpuf

Worrying stuff. Last thing we want is these nutjobs setting up shop here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Who is funding ISIS ? I know they have stolen a lot of money from banks etc, But who sponsored them when they started off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rich Sunni scumbags in Saudi, Qatar and the UAE it seems. There is talk of oil exports from fields under their control

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

IS would not be doing as well as they currently are if they did not have the support of civilians,many sunni seem to be rather content with them in charge rather than taking an order from a shi'ite controlled govt.

Apart from the religious minorities(the dozen or so left) getting the Brown end of the stick-an islamic state could benefit the rest of the World in that all those who Believe in their ideaology can make "aaliyah"to their state. And any scrap left behind who still want to wave around the "behead those who insult islam"placards could perhaps be coaxed into becoming Citizens of the caliphate-i'm sure their pope, mr. baghdadi,would be glad to have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crockholm wrote: »
    IS would not be doing as well as they currently are if they did not have the support of civilians,.

Well when you slaughter the ones that don't share your beliefs the ones on the fence tend to fall in to line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

amkin25 wrote: »
    Terrible indeed a differing viewpoint,must be hard to see differing viewpoints i imagine with a mind like yours lol.

I don't think it's an issue with different viewpoints, just idiotic ones like victim blaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I for one am rather pleased with the change of tone coming from Cameron today. I think ISIS tactics have backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well when you slaughter the ones that don't share your beliefs the ones on the fence tend to fall in to line.

I don't agree-It's not like IS were the only ones with guns in northern Iraq/SE Syria-the local militas seem to have amalgamated into IS rather than fight them due to their tolerance of minorities.

IS also have a high % of people not born locally within the ranks,so how they would know who is Christian/yahdzidi/Shia/Agnostic obviously comes from local knowledge.

Our friends relatives (assyrians) were hunted out of their area for being christian by a militia,I don't doubt the religious motive behind it,but it actually seemed more like a land grab,as their land,house and possessions were taken over by their muslim neighbours.

You don't have to be a Machiavelli or Von Clausewitz to know the dangers of holding onto territory when you don't have the support of the local population(often armed to the teeth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

It's such a f*cking waste. The man was there at his own expense to help others. The agony his family must have been through the past couple of weeks - just waiting for that inevitable phone call, and constantly wondering what suffering he was going through at that very moment in time as they waited. :( Maybe it's some relief to them that no one can hurt him any more.

It's terrifying to think of the tactics they could have used to make them recite the speeches in the videos. I can't even imagine. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

See your problem is cherry picking "they" to mean what you want. The "they" can just as easily be the US, Britain etc and bombing ISIS out of existence. Which im in favour of.

For clarity "they" is anyone opposed to ISIS running the place and killing anyone that doesn't agree with them or fitting their beliefs.

Now, back to these indigenous people bringing being murdered on themselves..........

Genuine mistake, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

Worrying stuff. Last thing we want is these nutjobs setting up shop here.

Yes that's really scary. Hate the thought of groups planning stuff over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

In fairness they are scumbags,but dropping bombs on civilians from the comfort of your bomber plane is also cowardly,even more so,the guy getting beheaded has probably a better shot at survival than someone in their house watching tv/sleeping when a bomb drops.

That's the stupidest post I have ever seen, anywhere, across the whole internet! Good lord!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭chooey

RIP David. Absolutely awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Absolutely terrifying for anyone to have to go through that. It's disturbing the way the victims are closing their eyes as they are being beheaded knowing what they are about to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

shezer wrote: »
    Absolutely terrifying for anyone to have to go through that. It's disturbing the way the victims are closing their eyes as they are being beheaded knowing what they are about to go through.

I don't hold out much hope for poor Alan Henning.
    hope they get the f**kin animals soon

I don't hold out much hope for poor Alan Henning.
    hope they get the f**kin animals soon

Poor fella. His family and friends must be praying for an intelligence breakthrough. I think a bullet would be too easy for these animals. Lock them up and force them to make British and American flags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

If it were a member of my family, I'd be praying for the British government to just bomb the whole f*cking place he's being kept (if they know where it is.) Wipe out at least some of the scum, and let the guy at least die unaware of what's to come ... prevent the final weeks and days and moments of torture.

At what point is it an act of war? As in how many beheadings of a states citizens would justify an invasion by that state? If ISIS started to do this to Irish citizens, what would we do about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Poor fella. His family and friends must be praying for an intelligence breakthrough. I think a bullet would be too easy for these animals. Lock them up and force them to make British and American flags.
    If it were a member of my family, I'd be praying for the British government to just bomb the whole f*cking place he's being kept (if they know where it is.) Wipe out at least some of the scum, and let the guy at least die unaware of what's to come ... prevent the final weeks and days and moments of torture.

if you were a member of the guys families you'd have been threatened by the american government that if you paid a ransom to get your loved one back we will arrest you on terrorism charges ;)

http://www.utahpeoplespost.com/2014/09/families-of-beheaded-reporters-threatened-by-u-s-government/

• Advertisement

At what point is it an act of war? As in how many beheadings of a states citizens would justify an invasion by that state? If ISIS started to do this to Irish citizens, what would we do about it?

When we're done invading Russia we can put huge amount of men in to ISISonia and wipe them out.

if you were a member of the guys families you'd have been threatened by the american government that if you paid a ransom to get your loved one back we will arrest you on terrorism charges ;)

http://www.utahpeoplespost.com/2014/09/families-of-beheaded-reporters-threatened-by-u-s-government/

Lets be honest here, the chances of them releasing anyone after getting a few quid ransom is small. People that are willing to behead hostages aren't your run of the mill pirates taking a ship. Plus, as it alludes to in the article, your pretty much painting a target on every westerners back. They all basically become walking bags of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

When we're done invading Russia we can put huge amount of men in to ISISonia and wipe them out.

Don't be silly, Ireland is a tiny country, we couldn't possibly hold all those prisoners of war after we invade Russia and the Middle East.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Terrible indeed a differing viewpoint,must be hard to see differing viewpoints i imagine with a mind like yours lol.
    Holy Christ I did not expect to read something like this(and the previous post) today. A differing viewpoint? Seriously there is a point where moral equivalence becomes daft(and it's usually pretty early on), but you Madam/Sir have crossed the Rubicon and no mistake.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Lets be honest here, the chances of them releasing anyone after getting a few quid ransom is small. People that are willing to behead hostages aren't your run of the mill pirates taking a ship. Plus, as it alludes to in the article, your pretty much painting a target on every westerners back. They all basically become walking bags of money.

As far as I know, they have released French, Spanish and Italian hostages in return for huge ransoms paid by their respective Governments. Shame on those Governments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm a little skeptical. Are they really pure evil, or is it just easier for us to view them as such? Isn't it a bit convenient how most of our current allies were 'pure evil' in the past, when our governments told us they were?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

And don't forget the fact that by paying the ransom you're essentially funding ISIS's "war".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

An 'Irish jihadi' fighting with ISIS has publicly defended the execution of British aid worker David Haines.

The fanatical convert – believed to be in his early 20s – claimed Mr Haines’ former role in the RAF justified his brutal beheading.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-jihadi-defends-execution-of-aid-worker-david-haines-30585892.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

independent.ie/irish-news/irish-jihadi-defends-execution-of-aid-worker-david-haines-30585892.html

He's fighting with ISIS, would you expect him to say anything else? Maybe if it was 100s of people in one community that said that I'd get worried, but one guy who's fighting with them? Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

UCDVet wrote: »
    I'm a little skeptical. Are they really pure evil, or is it just easier for us to view them as such? Isn't it a bit convenient how most of our current allies were 'pure evil' in the past, when our governments told us they were?

I think those other regimes, the current allies, were viewed as evil because they terrorized their own people. This perspective seems to be focused on how undemocratic these regimes were.

These guys, in contrast, are today's Nazis.

Advertisement