Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

biko wrote: »

They made their choices. You don't make a decision to travel that far without having some inkling how barbaric a group are. I have no pity for anyone who joined ISIS only to discover its not the adventure that was sold to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

biko wrote: »
    Not the life of glory they had hoped for it seems.

There are still many young girls with ISIS that left their families behind to help create more little jihadis.

I still can't come to grips with the idea that people from so-called "modern" western countries are getting swept up in all of this. I can only imagine that they're incredibly feeble-minded because I honestly can't think of any other reason for why a young man from a free country would want to go over to the Middle East to kill innocent people or, perhaps even more unbelievably, why a young woman would want to leave a free country to go and be subservient to these brutes. I can't understand the draw. It's not like members of IS are oozing deceptive charm and charisma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I still can't come to grips with the idea that people from so-called "modern" western countries are getting swept up in all of this. I can only imagine that they're incredibly feeble-minded because I honestly can't think of any other reason for why a young man from a free country would want to go over to the Middle East to kill innocent people or, perhaps even more unbelievably, why a young woman would want to leave a free country to go and be subservient to these brutes. I can't understand the draw. It's not like members of IS are oozing deceptive charm and charisma.

Is it not the Religion that drives them over? ISIL's version of Islam is just another interpretation of the religion these people already follow and wholeheartedly believe in.

So its not that unbelievable that they can be converted and become sympathetic to the IS cause.

Is it not the Religion that drives them over? ISIL's version of Islam is just another interpretation of the religion these people already follow and wholeheartedly believe in.

So its not that unbelievable that they can be converted and become sympathetic to the IS cause.

Well it is kind of unbelievable to me. There are plenty of peaceful Muslims in the west who would never leave to join something like IS, especially after growing up in largely secular societies where they have been free to get an education, have real jobs and prospects that don't involve killing or being killed, talk to whoever they want, go wherever they want, essentially bring free to do whatever they want. If someone lives in a pretty extreme Islamic country anyway, then sure I get why they might get involved, but young educated people from the west? Nope. Don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Well it is kind of unbelievable to me. There are plenty of peaceful Muslims in the west who would never leave to join something like IS, especially after growing up in largely secular societies where they have been free to get an education, have real jobs and prospects that don't involve killing or being killed, talk to whoever they want, go wherever they want, essentially bring free to do whatever they want. If someone lives in a pretty extreme Islamic country anyway, then sure I get why they might get involved, but young educated people from the west? Nope. Don't get it.

Its hard for us to believe because most of us dont follow Islam or another extreme religion, yes there are a lot of moderate educated muslims in the west but to be honest they aren't too many steps away from holding these very extreme views, so I can see how it wouldn't be overly hard to lure them in to the more extreme versions of Islam.

It also doesn't matter what jobs, prospects, education or freedom these people have, they will drop it all in the name of their religion.

• Advertisement

I don't really believe that most Muslims are only a few steps away from this kind of extremism. Muslims seem to be the primary victims of most of the violence being carried out by IS, so I don't really see how it could be asserted with any authority that they could be easily led into subscribing to the IS doctrine. People are too keen to lump all Muslims together under one umbrella when it's not really the case. If they came from a country where the beliefs of IS weren't exactly unusual, I'd understand it a bit better. I mean, how are they even getting in contact with the group members (maybe I'm a little naive on the magic of the internet on this front)?

I suppose these crazy end of days cults are quite popular in the US, so I guess it doesn't really matter how free or educated they are, some people are just susceptible to brainwashing. Or feeble minded, as I said before. Funnily, I know an Irish girl whose brother ran off and joined this loopy American Christian misogynistic cult a couple of years ago. Weird stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So basically, in hindsight, it would have been better to have left Saddam alone ?

Saddam would have ended up the same way as Gaddafi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Saddam would have ended up the same way as Gaddafi.
    Saddam had far more control over Iraq than Gaddafi did in Libya as well as having the loyalty of a large army.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Vast majority of Muslims are peaceful and friendly as far as I can see. However, when certain things are granted to Muslims in west, those of a more extreme persuasion seem to think they can have more, push for more rights they believe they are entitled to etc. I'll give the Burkha, black face covering as an example. To me, and I believe the vast majority of western, sensible people, this is extremely insulting. In addition, it's a security risk. When it's not banned it's a case of giving an inch, now let's push for yard.tge wearing of this shows no respect for the wishes of western people and is symptomatic of ssome Muslims having no respect for non Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

i was thinking of them kurds on the border today.
    how many are holed up there?much respect to them.fighting to the last man.knowing what awaits them should the town be over ran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Meglamonia wrote: »
    That vice documentary is mad,they're brainwashed.

Most humans are

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i was thinking of them kurds on the border today.
    how many are holed up there?much respect to them.fighting to the last man.knowing what awaits them should the town be over ran

When this is all over they will get the recognition they deserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Looks like IS are starting to take Baghdad down from the inside. Dozens killed in car bomb attacks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

Looks like IS are starting to take Baghdad down from the inside. Dozens killed in car bomb attacks today.

I dont think its a new thing.... there have been frequent car bombings in Baghdad since 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

When this is all over they will get the recognition they deserve

If there are enough of them left to recognise.

Turkey's behaviour over Komane reminds me of the Warsaw uprising. Buoyed by the advance of the Red army in 1944 the Polish resistance (the longest fighting and arguably most effective of such movements in occupid Europe) mounted a huge insurrection in Warsaw. The Soviets held position outside the city until the Poles were slaughtered before moving in.

The Turks are acting with the same shameful cynicism. Sure, they'll see it as acting within their own interests. Sadly, their interests would seem to entail the possible ritual execution, torture, rape or enslavement of thousands of innocent people.

I used to admire modern Turkey. Her secularism, her moderation. I used to see her as an example of a relatively well functioning and tolerant Muslim country. Disgusted to see her leadership operate with all the callousness of Joseph Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

"Iraqi forces threatened to flee if the U.S. military does not intervene."
    I mean seriously, I think it was a big mistake on Iraq part to ask for US assistance to begin with, it's just like asking your rapist for help after he rapes you, but to put your whole hopes & will into it, I wont be surprised if just a few month from now IS will probably have Baghdad in its control.
    By this time US troops will probably be forced into action, I feel Armageddon is approaching..
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/13/world/meast/isis-developments/

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

DeadHand wrote: »

Turkey's behaviour over Komane reminds me of the Warsaw uprising. Buoyed by the advance of the Red army in 1944 the Polish resistance (the longest fighting and arguably most effective of such movements in occupid Europe) mounted a huge insurrection in Warsaw. The Soviets held position outside the city until the Poles were slaughtered before moving in.

The Turks are acting with the same shameful cynicism. Sure, they'll see it as acting within their own interests. Sadly, their interests would seem to entail the possible ritual execution, torture, rape or enslavement of thousands of innocent people.

I used to admire modern Turkey. Her secularism, her moderation. I used to see her as an example of a relatively well functioning and tolerant Muslim country. Disgusted to see her leadership operate with all the callousness of Joseph Stalin.

None of the virtues mentioned above ever applied to Turkey. Where did you get those crazy ideas from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

DeadHand wrote: »

Literally every government of all Turkey's neighbours (with the exception of Azerbaijan) hate Turkey. I don't think they would share your sentiments. Apart from the Joseph Stalin bit.

daUbiq wrote: »
    None of the virtues mentioned above ever applied to Turkey. Where did you get those crazy ideas from?

Please note my use of the word "relatively".

Turkey is no bastion of virtue but, in the modern day, is still relatively tolerant, secular and functional compared to most other Muslim countries.

Best of a bad bunch type of deal.

Literally every government of all Turkey's neighbours (with the exception of Azerbaijan) hate Turkey. I don't think they would share your sentiments. Apart from the Joseph Stalin bit.

True, historically Turkey were an aggressive, expansionist power so there will be a deep rooted antipathy among most of her neighbours. Still doesn't change the fact it is one of the more moderate and successful Muslim countries today.

Besides, I wouldn't call any of Turkey's neighbours shining examples of fair rule and good governance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I luv this, The terrorists get terrorised.

Terrorist organisation Islamic State is now under attack from guerrillas itself, it was revealed today,

Small groups of Syrians are hunting down ISIS fighters in one of their main strongholds in eastern Syria in a new guerrilla campaign that has emerged as a response to the Islamists' growing brutality.

The main aim is to generate fear in ISIS’s ranks, said the head of ‘White Shroud’ - a group that says it has killed more than 100 of the militants' fighters in attacks in Deir al-Zor province in recent months.

The west should just keep out of the middle east and let the islamic countries handle the entire thing.

Turkey should put it's forces on the ground and do something except want the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France do all the hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anything is possible in a propaganda war.

It raises a good idea though. I know biological weapons are different but they could just weaponise Ebola and heft a few airbursting cruise missiles into IS strongholds then wait 2 or 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

No.
    Iraq had no chemical weapons.
    Bush & Blair lied & should be hung by their thumbs....

Isn't that what weve been told to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It raises a good idea though. I know biological weapons are different but they could just weaponise Ebola and heft a few airbursting cruise missiles into IS strongholds then wait 2 or 3 weeks.

That is the mother of stupid idea's...... Seriously anyone who weaponized Ebola, would be far worse that ISIS, seeing as a weaponized Ebola, would have the potential to kill a lot more people than ISIS have managed. BTW, ISIS are the defacto government in those area's so civilians would be hit, and the nature of a biological agent is that it would then spread, and if its a weaponized variant, you would be looking at a pandemic, with millions potentially dead.

WTF, is it with people calling for nuclear weapon strikes and now biological weapons. Some of you on here seem to want to make themselves out to be bloody thirsty lunatics.

Conspiracy nonsense, if the US found those weapons, they would have been telling anyone who was willing to listen. Most likely if ISIS have any chemical weapons, they stole them from Assad.

BTW, why would the US hide that they found such weapons? Its make no sense at all, but most conspiracy theories make sense, so nothing surprising in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

wes wrote: »
    BTW, why would the US hide that they found such weapons? Its make no sense at all.

2 potential reasons.

- The found shells were made with assistance from or directly by the USA in the 80's.
    - A lot of soldiers got ill or harmed in their finding, the exposing of that failure is also deeply embarassing.

- The found shells were made with assistance from or directly by the USA in the 80's.

We already know they sold WMDs to the Iraqi's in the past. So nothing to fear there.
    - A lot of soldiers got ill or harmed in their finding, the exposing of that failure is also deeply embarassing.

Really? 1000s of US soldiers have been injured during the Iraq war, so why cover up this potential group being hurt? There is the whole scandal in the US about them not getting there VA benefits in any kind of a timely fashion, happening in the US as well. So why would this one potential group be so special?

If anyone was hurt they could have surely, they could easily spin it to blame Saddam.

The US not finding VMDs has done more damage to there reputation, then the other 2 reason that you mention could have ever done, seeing as we are already are aware of similar things happening as is already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

2 potential reasons.

Of relevance, in the NY Times a couple of days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

I do recall when i was there that a couple of the munitions were turned into roadside bombs. Fortunately, such things are not designed for ground burst so casualties were basically negligible, but for about a month afterwards we had to go everywhere with our gas masks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

RIP Peter Kassig

Advertisement