Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Apparantly there are only about 1000 ISIS fighters controlling the whole of Mosul. WTF? How on earth did a ragtag army full of raw recruits mostly from western europe achieve so much? It doesn't give you great confidence in the fighting abilities of the average Iraqi or Syrian soldier. Only the Kurds seem able to fight in that region of the middle east. Everyone else just surrenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Apparantly there are only about 1000 ISIS fighters controlling the whole of Mosul. WTF? How on earth did a ragtag army full of raw recruits mostly from western europe achieve so much? It doesn't give you great confidence in the fighting abilities of the average Iraqi or Syrian soldier. Only the Kurds seem able to fight in that region of the middle east. Everyone else just surrenders.

That was proven conclusively when they fled that whole region last summer.

In other news I see three teenage girls from London are suspected to have gone to Syria to join IS, they disappeared last week and took flights to Turkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Iraqis ran. There is the suspicion that these people received little to no training and the money from the US was "diverted".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Nodin wrote: »
    The Iraqis ran. There is the suspicion that these people received little to no training and the money from the US was "diverted".

would you be surprised if that was the case? i wouldn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Yeh I think there was a lot of phantom soldiers in the Iraqi brigades, soldiers on the payroll who didn't exist, money diverted into commanding officers bank accounts. Happens in all corrupt countries. That and the fact many of the commanders had little military experience and got the jobs through bribery and nepotism.

• Advertisement

Yeh I think there was a lot of phantom soldiers in the Iraqi brigades, soldiers on the payroll who didn't exist, money diverted into commanding officers bank accounts. Happens in all corrupt countries. That and the fact many of the commanders had little military experience and got the jobs through bribery and nepotism.

yup, exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

As yes, Chomsky.
    Anti us, anti Israel and debateable anti-semite, pro communist, pro russia pigeon. Beloved by the lefties on boards.
    Hardly an unbiased reference.

He isn't anti US but he is critical of US imperialism. I'm not sure how he can be an anti-semite when he is Jewish?? He isn't Pro Russia or pro communist, he is an anarchist. He is one of the greatest intellectuals of our time and when any of his opponents or critics have had the balls to debate with him they have been embarrassed. So yes Chomsky, a far better source than the right wing media.

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    would you be surprised if that was the case? i wouldn't...

Not in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Because they had the direction from Saddam-era Ba'athists who were removed from power, and the Shia-dominated Iraqi Army didn't want to fight and die for a Sunni city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Judaism is ethnoreligious, not just religious. It's like an Irish Catholic. If he renounces Catholicism, he doesn't stop being Irish.

It's a rather weird one, alright.

One of my two grandparents was a Jew. Am I a Jew? I had liitle or no interaction, unfortunately, with other Jews. My surname has a Mc. I wwnt to an all Catholic school.

One of my two grandparents was a Jew. Am I a Jew? I had liitle or no interaction, unfortunately, with other Jews. My surname has a Mc. I wwnt to an all Catholic school.

only two grandparents? you wouldn’t be a habsburg by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Only if it was a grandmother, grandfather does not count.

ETA: Maternal grandmother only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

So two schoolgirls from London headed off to join Isis? Looks like the lads won't have to blow themselves up in order to shag some virgins. The Islamic state could grow on me yet

only two grandparents? you wouldn’t be a habsburg by any chance? :)

Hahaha. She was a German Jew. She was involved in trying to evacuate Jews in the 30s. My pops, told her not to be worrying herself with that oul bollix. They adopted one Jew. He took up my grandfathers profession, works for Coilte. My pops is old school Dub; I funked up Jay, we should of taken in as many as we could." He was young at the time. He drinks four Guinness and a small one every night. 'To play cards with his lads.'

Never again, boys.

Hahaha. She was a German Jew. She was involved in trying to evacuate Jews in the 30s. My pops, told her not to be worrying herself with that oul bollix. They adopted one Jew. He took up my grandfathers profession, works for Coilte. My pops is old school Dub; I funked up Jay, we should of taken in as many as we could." He was young at the time. He drinks four Guinness and a small one every night. 'To play cards with his lads.'

Never again, boys.

sorry, stupid little joke, couldn’t help myself...habsburg just came to mind immediately like...

sorry, stupid little joke, couldn’t help myself...habsburg just came to mind immediately like...

Will you stop. I found your quip funny. I'm Irish. The day we can stop taking the proverbial, is the day we cease existing. You humourless Kraut!

Did you see our lads donated a serious ship to the lads in Malta? Remind yisser lads about how the EU works. Or should work. I'm immensely proud right now.

Ireland has agreed to donate the recently decommissioned LE Aoife to the Maltese armed forces as part of an agreement reached between the two countries on expanding co-operation on defence matters.

Minister for Defence Simon Coveney met Maltese Minister for Home Affairs and National Security, Carmelo Abela while attending a meeting of EU defence ministers in Riga and agreed to a series of moves towards closer co-operation.

These include the transfer of the LE Aoife from the Irish Naval Service as well as the training of Maltese military personnel in Ireland following a successful joint training mission by both countries as part of an EU training mission in Somalia.

Mr Coveney explained that the Maltese authorities require the ship for their armed forces to assist in the patrolling of the Mediterranean Sea to deal with the ongoing difficult refugee crisis in the region.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-donates-le-aoife-to-malta-to-help-with-refugee-rescue-in-mediterranean-1.2109719

My dad says that we bought her out of EEC money. Just paying her back.

It's the religion/ethnicity thing. Either way, I've heard him talk about growing up in the states and he's not anti-Semite by any stretch.

He's no Jewish lad. Just because Jews are in our ancestry, doesn't make us all Jews. My cousin is a McGregor. I'd love him to face you "I'm not an antisemitic f*ck, but Israel" flutes.

didn’t know that...nice...remember seeing the le aoife in dublin a few years back...

• Advertisement

Tugboats wrote: »
    So two schoolgirls from London headed off to join Isis? Looks like the lads won't have to blow themselves up in order to shag some virgins. The Islamic state could grow on me yet

“shamima begum, 15, kadiza sultana, 17, and a third 15-year-old girl who is not being named at the request of her family[...]”...some deluded muslim girls on the way to the lands of their ancestors to meet “real men”...and in for a very rude awakening once (and if) they reach rakka...

He's no Jewish lad. Just because Jews are in our ancestry, doesn't make us all Jews. My cousin is a McGregor. I'd love him to face you "I'm not an antisemitic f*ck, but Israel" flutes.

Angry fellow, aren't you.

Angry fellow, aren't you.

I'd make you tea and cake if you ever set foot in mine.

I mentioned to Conor that it would be nice if he spoke about his small Jewish heritage. There's only 2k Irish Jews. Irelands largest sportstar including himself, the lads may be more open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He's jewish ffs.

So?
    Oh I get it, its self hate...
    http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2005/01/the_chomsky_file.html

I could go on

and on

and on

and on...

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The problem with the Chomskyite accounts is that you don't actually learn anything from it - at least in terms of how major powers are to react to world events. We are repeatedly told the West is responsible for almost every ill in the world as it plays a hand in these roles.

Then, we have a sort of moral relativism at play where US actions abroad - such as drone strikes - are equated with the decapitating techniques of ISIS. It's when it morphs into this type of self-hating theoretical malignancy you know you've reached a low point.

It was at this point I had to abandon Chomskyite analysis, even though I hitherto subscribed to his views with the same conviction now seen on this thread and others. This is not to say we cannot learn anything from Chomsky, as we evidently can, but that's where I'd firmly draw the line.

Yep, and you'd still be wrong at the end of it. Quoting blogs and opinion pieces doesn't help your case at all at all, particularily when they seem inclined to confuse criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.

Yep, and you'd still be wrong at the end of it. Quoting blogs and opinion pieces doesn't help your case at all at all, particularily when they seem inclined to confuse criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.

This flirt deserves our offering and nada else.

• Advertisement

Nod, have you ever been put to ki

Advertisement