Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS are pure evil.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I must say I couldn't believe the choice of wording on the Newstalk radio report regarding the 3 British girls who have are suspected to have travelled over to Syria the other evening the newsreader says...

" 3 young British Girls are feared to BE HEADING to join the ISIS forces in Syria, I kid you not, this was at 10PM , by 11 it had changed to "Girls feared to be GOING to Syria"...I laughed anyway though I probably shouldn't have..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

crockholm wrote: »
    I read the links you posted regarding BBS and honestly,to try and equate their activities,which though unpleasant,with the islamic hardliners, are not in the same ballpark as ISIS,AQ,BH.
    They seem to protest at meetings,put pressure on the local govt. to bend to their wishes,but come on man!

You're aware of the Sri Lankan campaign against the Tamils? The Burmese riots against the Rohinga? Saying "its not exactly like" is a bit of a cop out. They're exclusionist sectarian militants that will and do use violence.
    SeanW wrote:
    Of course a Buddhist can be violent, but only if they disregard the central
    tenets of their faith.

Bit like the muslims then?
    SeanW wrote:
    That is why the worst you can find about Buddhists is a radical
    ultra-nationalist group with limited support and whose activities mostly involve
    protesting.

Yeah, sure whose interested in that.....
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/dd32491e-8b2b-11e4-be89-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3SWdUcmnK

Rather ignores the sectarian war against the Tamils that went on for near on 30 years and this kind of thing in Burma as well
    http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/01/23/burma-investigate-new-killings-rohingya
    http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/04/01/burma-satellite-images-detail-destruction-meiktila
    http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/10/26/burma-new-violence-arakan-state
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/25/burma-muslims-two-child-limit

https://www.worldwatchmonitor.org/2010/01-January/14251/

You might be a better informed if you stopped scanning for "muslim" and ignoring all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

has this been posted here already? time to take the velvet gloves off and blitz isis out of existence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    has this been posted here already? time to take the velvet gloves off and blitz isis out of existence...

Which would mean bombing kids...

... You can go to the public with that proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Discussions on comparing Buddhist nationalism (and Hindu as well) with the more well-known Islamic variety is interesting. While there are parallels, the latter is undoubtedly the most brutal at the moment. But there are important issues at hand:

We first of all do need to not tar all Islam and all Muslims with the IS, AQ, BH, AS, etc. brush. People tend to do so.

We also tend to forget the violence of other religions past and present. Christianity has had a bloody history with burnings at the stake, religious wars, crusades, and its use to repress, colonise and erradicate peoples and their cultures from Africa to America. The LRA is a modern example of a brutal Christian terrorist group that does much the same as BH do.

Hindu fanaticism is also bad at present but is largely confined. Buddhist fanaticism could have been a lot worse if things had been different. Suppose China and Tibet were 2 different countries after China's communist revolution of 1949 and the US helped Buddhist rebels against pro-China communists there back in the 1950s or 1960s? Tibet would be another Afghanistan and would a Buddhist answer to the Taliban emerge? More than likely. Afghanistan's Taliban was the result of war weariness and so too were the 'communist' fascist Taliban of the Khmer Rouge. Of course, Sikh terrorism was a massive threat that even affected Ireland back in the 1980s. Not bad for a small religion! More than likely, other religions will become lead by evil men in the near future and today's 'Islamic' fascism could make way for tomorrow's 'Buddhist' or 'Ethiopian Orthodox' fascism for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Those Muslims up to their old tricks again. Where's MacGyver these days? He'll sort them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

... You can go to the public with that proposal.

ah, the Hitler youth movement all over again.

We didn't have any problems bombing the **** out of them then and I don't see any problem with it now.

The hitler youth would kill you on sight and I'm sure these little muslim terrorists would kill you on sight and take your head as a trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Nodin wrote: »
    Bit like the muslims then?
    No. You have to pervert Buddhism to commit violence.

You have to pervert Islam not to commit violence.

That's why Buddhists aren't murdering Chinese people over the occupation of Tibet, whereas the dozens of Islamist groups ...

[...]

that’s a question the guys who run isis should be asking themselves...”do we want our kids to be part of this?”...and so far the answer seems to be a resounding yes...as sad as it is true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

People trying to claim the moral high ground over groups like ISIS but in the same breath advocating wholesale slaughter of innocents and children. The cognitive dissonance on display here is staggering.

Playboy wrote: »
    People trying to claim the moral high ground over groups like ISIS but in the same breath advocating wholesale slaughter of innocents and children. The cognitive dissonance on display here is staggering.

this isn’t about the moral high ground, this is about defending against and eliminating a dangerous faction of muslim extremists...

Playboy wrote: »

Don't think anyone is advocating bombing innocent children, other than a few loonies.
    A war crime has already been perpetrated on these kids by their use as child soldiers, or worse, suicide bombers. If they survive, they will be probably traumatised for life. Assuming you condemn their use, we're in agreement so far.
    Where we differ I suspect, is if there is a risk of these kids being used as suicide bombers to kill other, probably innocent Muslim or coalition troops, or being used as soldiers, than I think it is justifiable bombing their training camp to obviate that risk.
    For every child wouldbe suicide bomber that has an understandable change of heart, there will surely be others that will go through with it, or be remotely detonated.
    Faced with a child soldier with an AK47 pointed at me, however awful to kill a child, I'll pull my trigger all day. I'm not going to take a chance I could talk him into dropping his gun. That's not cognitive dissonance. It's realism.
    I suspect you'd do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

The good religious nutter from the good Christian country*?

*The one built on ethnic cleansing, genocide and slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The thinking behind child soldiers is morbidly fascinating.

Their use isn't so much an act of desperation brought about by manpower shortages as it is a psychological weapon. Put simply, being forced to fight and kill children will have a devastating psychological effect on the opposition. Harming a child, even an armed one, is an instinctively counter intuitive act for most human beings.

It is a morally reprehensible tactic but, sadly, in war the side most willing to eschew morality usually wins.

Well, regardless of what ISIS does, it's not like Ireland will be helping. We'll sit on our hands, talk about humanitarianism, and continue to slash defence spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

New Zealand send troops to fight ISIS. Great speech by the Prime Minister: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11407112

Drakares wrote: »
    New Zealand send troops to fight ISIS. Great speech by the Prime Minister: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11407112

good stuff, yet somehow i can just see the headline...” 143 new zealand military personnel captured and beheaded by isis”...

Drakares wrote: »

What's interesting is you never see those types of energetic debates in the Dail. In every other Anglosphere nation, you see energetic debates. In little olde Ireland? Edna krabappel Kenny sits on his phone.

245j8lj.jpg

good stuff, yet somehow i can just see the headline...” 143 new zealand military personnel captured and beheaded by isis”...

They're training troops, not combat troops... And if you know these guys are going to behead you and burn your friends alive, it's entirely unlikely you're going to surrender.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will be "hundreds of Takfiris slaughtered in futile assaults on base, as kiwis take no shyte"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hopefully it will be "hundreds of Takfiris slaughtered in futile assaults on base, as kiwis take no shyte"

Quite. I do hope there's a few 20-stone Maoris in full war-tattoo regalia among them.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Quite. I do hope there's a few 20-stone Maoris in full war-tattoo regalia among them.

Can you imagine that lot coming after you bent on revenge for killing one of them.
    (they could have put the little ginger around the other side of the hearse, replaced with a 20stoner)

Can you imagine that lot coming after you bent on revenge for killing one of them.
    (they could have put the little ginger around the other side of the hearse, replaced with a 20stoner)

ISIS wouldn't be long leaving the battlefield, that's for sure.

I'd love to see a Celtic War Dance... Just a bunch of Irish nutters painted blue from head to toe, foaming at the mouth and off their rockers on shrooms, screaming at the top of their lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ISIS wouldn't be long leaving the battlefield, that's for sure.

I'd love to see a Celtic War Dance... Just a bunch of Irish nutters painted blue from head to toe, foaming at the mouth and off their rockers on shrooms, screaming at the top of their lungs.

Ah yes, the old "Berserker", or warp-spasm. Now that'd be the job! :pac:

They're training troops, not combat troops... [...]

so typical isis fodder basically...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, regardless of what ISIS does, it's not like Ireland will be helping. We'll sit on our hands, talk about humanitarianism, and continue to slash defence spending.

If Ireland wants people to go and fight IS, will you volunteer?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If Ireland wants people to go and fight IS, will you volunteer?

this should be european thing...the eurocorps and the foreign legion come to mind...no need for irish civilians to volunteer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Talking of Maori soldiers, New Zealand had a Maori battalion fighting in the Mediterranean theatre during the second world war.

It'll come as no surprise to anyone with an interest in rugby that they were acknowledged by both sides as extraordinary soldiers.

Advertisement