Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to catch mice?

• 09-08-2014 2:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Right so they re this tiny kinda dopey mouse running around my house and likes to hang around my room... im just wondering is they re any way to catch this ****er and put him out of my house id rather not kill it since the way i look at is the poor ****ers only tryin to survive too, i just rather it could survive somewhere else!

Any tips tricks on catchin em an releasing em?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you do release it, do so far away or it'll be back. Consider a glass jar that he won't be able to climb out of, put food into it, and surround it so it can't fall, but the mouse can get into it. In the morning, put a lid (that has a few pin holes for air) on it, and bring the mouse to somewhere that doesn't seem to have many cats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

the_syco wrote: »
    If you do release it, do so far away or it'll be back. Consider a glass jar that he won't be able to climb out of, put food into it, and surround it so it can't fall, but the mouse can get into it. In the morning, put a lid (that has a few pin holes for air) on it, and bring the mouse to somewhere that doesn't seem to have many cats.

Ive tried that he seems fairly wise about going into it, and his well able to move haha, what sort of food would be best for baiting em ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

evo2000 wrote: »
    what sort of food would be best for baiting em ?
    Chocolate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I got one of these when I had a mouse invasion a while ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Mouse-Trap-4-5-17/dp/B000WFI866

It worked really well and they haven't been back. I picked it up in a local petshop so you should be able to find one easily enough. There are a few different types on the market. Avoid any that aren't see through, as you want to know for sure when a mouse has gone in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sounds more like a shrew than a mouse?

• Advertisement

mosi wrote: »
    I got one of these when I had a mouse invasion a while ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Mouse-Trap-4-5-17/dp/B000WFI866

It worked really well and they haven't been back. I picked it up in a local petshop so you should be able to find one easily enough. There are a few different types on the market. Avoid any that aren't see through, as you want to know for sure when a mouse has gone in.

That d be the job alright, can you get them in pet stores around ireland tho?

boomerang wrote: »
    Sounds more like a shrew than a mouse?

could be tis a tiny agile little ****er anyway haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

You can get live traps in some hardware stores.

Check your room/house for anything edible, it must have a source of food or it wouldn't be there. Put any food in plastic boxes or tins, peanut butter works well, dried fruit too, something with a bit of smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Saster123

I once caught a mouse in a small bottle of water. Left it open on it's side with the bottle mostly inside a bag with some paper and food in it. hear it when it went in and put the bottle upright and shoved the lid on and release him in killarney (approximately 70km from where I was, find your way back now motherf****r)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Live trap

This one is very good. Try your local agricultural co op

multiple-catch-mouse-trap709897.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Saster123 wrote: »
    I once caught a mouse in a small bottle of water. Left it open on it's side with the bottle mostly inside a bag with some paper and food in it. hear it when it went in and put the bottle upright and shoved the lid on and release him in killarney (approximately 70km from where I was, find your way back now motherf****r)

Why did you travel 70km?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Saster123

Why did you travel 70km?

Was going that way anyway later that day and the last time I caught wone and release it it came back so I wasn't having that again. new it was the same one cos it was missing toes

Saster123 wrote: »
    Was going that way anyway later that day and the last time I caught wone and release it it came back so I wasn't having that again. new it was the same one cos it was missing toes

Well this one is getting one chance, ill catch it and let it go but after that its facing the WRATH OF DOOM! for it haha

gozunda wrote: »
    Live trap

This one is very good. Try your local agricultural co op

multiple-catch-mouse-trap709897.jpg

Whats an agricultural co op ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whats an agricultural co op ?

Down the country ;) there are any number of agri co op - basically large hardware and animal feed shops. They stock an amazing selection of just about everything. If you are in Dublin etc head out of the city and ask the first farmer you meet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

That d be the job alright, can you get them in pet stores around ireland tho?

I got mine in a small petshop in Dublin. My local hardware shop only had the lethal traps so I tried the local pet shop on the off chance they'd have it.
    You can also order a similar model online from Pet Bliss in Wicklow (not sure if it's as effective but I'd say they work more or less the same).
    http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Friendly_and_Safe_Mouse_Trap.html

As for releasing them, I didn't release mine all that far away and have had no returns. They'd usually go in to the trap late at night when it wasn't practical to take them away in the car. I was starting to wonder if the same mouse was coming back but as I've had none for a while now, I don't think so.

Advertisement