Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick leave followed by resignation

Options
  • 09-08-2014 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have an employee who has been on sick leave for a number of weeks. They were due to come back to work next week, but informed me they will not be coming back. Do they have to work there full notice or would another sick note cover there notice. They were due back next week to give other employees well deserved holidays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

I don't work in the hr profession so it's merely my own opinion but as far as I know they firstly have to give you a doctors letter saying the individual is certified to return to work, once this is done you can begin the resignation process. A sick cert from what I know will NOT cover the notice period, as they officially are certified not to work ( could use this against you, and also are not covered by insurance if certified leave). The other side of this is do you really want this person back to work the notice period and cause disruption ( risk of copying data) etc knowing they are resigning afterwards, not everyone would do an honest days work knowing they are resigning afterwards, as they have stated they don't plan on returning.... Just my own opinion and I stand to be corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't know the rules. But have you decided if you want them back. That would help choose and approach?

Advertisement