Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happened to our plums.

• 09-08-2014 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Plums have been looking good all year until the last two weeks or so, when they started to ripen. Really annoying as it's at least 200 plums on the tree that have turned out like this.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks like Botrytis to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Looks like Botrytis to me.

My first thought was that the fruit hadn't been thinned with 200 on the tree leading to a lack of air circulation, and then I had to look Botrytis up :D and found this out

"The disease is favoured by wet weather during the blossom period"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Oldtree wrote: »
    My first thought was that the fruit hadn't been thinned with 200 on the tree leading to a lack of air circulation, and then I had to look Botrytis up :D and found this out

"The disease is favoured by wet weather during the blossom period"

If it is, is there anything that can prevent it?
    Meant to add it happened last year, with very little fruit on the tree (about 50)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There has been research done into spraying Fennel,peppermint black caraway essential oils onto plums to stop this happening in storage.
    I guess it might be worth a try to see if it works on the plant?
    If they were grapes you could make some really nice dessert wine with botrytis grapes, Its also called noble rot.

Advertisement