Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The mind and the limits of understanding itself

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'd like to get people's thoughts on the limitations of the mind's understanding of itself.
    Is it possibke for a machine to fully understand its own workings. Or even for a machine to produce a tool to bring about that understanding.
    Or can it only work if a superior intelligence studies an inferior one (as it were).
    It's a fairly basic question but I'm a bit stumped and would like to know what areas to look at to help answer this.
    I'd be really interested in your views here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I suppose that tools are what help us do this already.
    If an AI could create tools to fit around it's needs in discovering "new territory" then I could see it being possible.
    We currently use things like MRI and functional MRI to see into our brains and monitor responses to stimuli.
    One question is how long to do what and with what technology or limits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement