Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season Expectations for the team you support

• 09-08-2014 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭

With the new season around the corner, outline the expectations you have for the team you support for the season ahead.

Team: Liverpool
    Premier League: Having lost Suarez, a top 4 finish would be a good achievement again considering how competitive the fight for top 4 has become.
    Champions League: I would like to see us make the knockout stages although alot will depend on the difficulty of the group.
    FA Cup: Considering the depth of the squad is a lot better this season, I would expect that they will give the FA Cup a good shot.
    League Cup: Use to blood younger players like Ibe, Teixeira, Rossiter etc. if they haven't gone out on loan.

Overall, I think a top 4 finish and a good run at the Cups will be a good season especially in a year where we have lost one of the best players in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Team supported: United.

My aims for where United will finish in the league is dependant on what players are brought in during the rest of the transfer window.

As it stands, I reckon we are good enough to get a top 4 spot, but with the correct players brought in, namely a CB, a CM and a RB, we could be a place or two higher. We aren't going to challenge for a league title. Chelsea and City are ahead of the field in that.

Fa Cup could and perhaps should be a target, the league cup will most likely be used for younger players to get game time I'd imagine.

And I don't think we're going to do much in the Champions League......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

djPSB wrote: »
    With the new season around the corner, outline the expectations you have for the team you support for the season ahead.

Premier League: Having lost Suarez, a top 4 finish would be a good achievement again considering how competitive the fight for top 4 has become.
    Champions League: I would like to see us make the knockout stages although a lot will depend on the difficulty of the group.
    FA Cup: Considering the depth of the squad is a lot better this season, I would expect that they will give the FA Cup a good shot.
    League Cup: Use to blood younger players like Ibe, Teixeira, Rossiter etc. if they haven't gone out on loan.

Overall, I think a top 4 finish and a good run at the Cups will be a good season especially in a year where we have lost one of the best players in the world.

Same.

Would be delighted with top 4 and get through the group stages of the CL.

Realistically on current squads missing out on top 4 is more likely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

United.

Same as always.

1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle: Don't be as shít as last season. Pardew to actually employ tactics.

Try, for the love of god, try to compete in the cups.

This is all I ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

djPSB wrote: »
    in a year where we have lost one of the best players in the world.

Come on now. Conor Coady isn't that impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Team; Man Utd.
    At the moment there are too many variable's, we could easily finish outside the top four, with Chelsea, City, top two. Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/United fighting for third and fourth.
    Hopefully LVG can capture 2-3 of his targets, then we could be back in the hunt, but the team would need to gel very quickly as we would not want to be too far behind the leaders at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland

Well the main aim is the same as every other year - safety first and then see how things go from there.

As things stand, we're currently at least 1 first choice player and 3 or 4 backup players short of a squad capable of having a season free of relegation worries, so it looks like we're in for another battle though there still is a bit of time to go. We've played with fire for a number of years now and eventually clubs that do that usually end up getting burnt sooner or later. Hopefully it's not this year.

Poyet did well overall (which surprised me) and Sunderland would have finished comfortably mid-table if the season had started when he took over. With only Ki and Borini missing from his first choice 11 of last year, Rodwell a good replacement in the middle of the field for Ki if he can stay fit, squad players such as Gomez, Pantimilon and Jones better than players who left such as Gardner, Westwood and Bardsley, and finally two capable strikers in Wickham and a fully-fit (at the minute) Fletcher which should see goals easier to come by, though creativity in the middle of the park would still be a big worry.

Another cup run would be great, but they usually come around every 20 odd years for us so I've got a while to wait yet!

Overall, I'm expecting to squeak safety and progress a couple of rounds deep into both cups, draw dependent. With a couple more signings of genuine quality I'd expect us to survive a bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Villa

Avoid Relegation, avoid humiliation by lower league teams in the cups.

Bring Jack Grealish into the first team, get Benteke back fit, keep Vlaar, keep Okore fit and keep Nathan Baker, Joe Bennett and Ciaran Clark away from the first team and progress will be made.

Hopefully a new owner can be found too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Premier League: We've lost our best player while all our rivals look stronger. Top 4 is the hope, but a lot will depend on which striker we bring in.
    Champions League: Absolutely thrilled for us to be running out to the theme of the Champions League again. I reckon our team is set up nicely to do well in Europe and think we might actually perform better there than in the league. Just getting to the knock-out's would be fine, but I think we could maybe even threaten to make the semi's. Draw will be critical obviously.
    FA Cup: Hopefully knocked out at the first opportunity.
    League Cup: By playing our kids, I actually think we could make the semi's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

lordgoat wrote: »
    United.

Same as always.

1st.

10/10 on the cringeometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Milkers wrote: »
    10/10 on the cringeometer.

Mentioning 'cringeometer' is pretty cringy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Team: Chelsea

Premier League: We've add the right players to an already impressive squad, I'd be hopeful of winning the title ont he bakck of those signings as I think we're stronger and more experienced this time around but having only 1 proper CF might hurt us if hes banned/injured.

Champions League: Semi Final last year, would like to at elast make the final this year, Europe is very hard to call either which way so I'd take a trip to the quarter finals and see from there.

FA Cup: Not entirely important but we've enough squad depth to switch up 5/6 players and still have a good stab at the FA Cup.

League Cup: Less important than the FA Cup, we'll probably make big changes for this competition with youngsters and fringe players getting games and the senior guys rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Team Liverpool

Everything: our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

PL: Anywhere Top 4 is fine. Players like Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Can will all improve as they mature, so anywhere in the 4 would be fine with me!
    CL: Quarter Finals please. We should win enough points at home to get out of any but the toughest group, and we have the mentality to do well in 2 legged affairs...
    FA Cup: I think they will really go for it, depending on wheen the games fall around CL games etc. Squad depth will go a long way.
    League Cup: Kids and fringe only. Lambert, Lucas, Enrique and Toure supported by a few kids and players in need of games.

Top and a trophy would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Liverpool.

I think the club need a trophy...so I'm gonna say FA Cup and to qualify for the CL. Or just win the CL, that would do as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

PL: Top 4. Fifth would be a huge letdown after last season, even allowing for the improvement I expect from Arsenal and Man Utd. Don't think we'll really push for the title again unfortunately.

CL: Depends on the group stage draw, the fact that we're 3rd seeds could kill us. Even if we get a relatively easy group I'd be content with a place in the last 16 if offered it now

FA Cup: Would be nice to give it a good go like in 2012 but won't lose sleep if we don't make it to Wembley

League Cup: Again, would be nice to go on a run but would happily take an immediate exit if it meant a proper go at the PL and a good run in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Team: Manchester City

Premier League: 1st place

Champions League
    : out of the group stages

FA Cup: Winners

League Cup;Winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Team: Everton

Premier League: Expect Europa,would love CL

Europa: Knock Out Stages

FA Cup: A good run

League Cup; A good run

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

Team: arsenal

Premier League: 3rd

Champions League: qtr finals

FA Cup: semi finals / winners

League Cup decent showing from the younger players

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

United

Title challenge which will ultimately end in failure, finishing in the top 3
    FA cup will hopefully be given a good run at and realistically should be a high target for the club this season
    League Cup should be used to keep the squad sharp, if we go far we go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Liverpool

PL : Top 4. Second or above is beyond us I expect. Will need to fight to stay in the Champs league places. Because of last season we have created pressure on ourselves (a good thing) to stay in those top 4 spots. Anything else will be a failure.

CL : Get out of the group, after that, anything is a bonus.

FA Cup : Honestly, I don't care that much. If we got knocked out in the 3rd round I'd have forgotten it by the 4th round. CL and PL are so important to us financially that I'd hate for the FA Cup to cause us any stress, injuries etc.

That Other Cup : Waste of time, happily see it scrapped. Definitely use it as a training session, kids kids kids.

Other teams: River Plate : Sold everyone, probably another selling season beckons. Stabilise finances, play decent football & beat Boca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Team: Manchester United

Premier League: Preferably somewhere north of 7th.

Champions League: :mad:

FA Cup: Don't care.

League Cup: Super don't care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

West Ham, a team you never know what you're going to get. I'll say 11th. FA cup, beat Arsenal before being dumped by Oldham. League cup, semis, best route into Europe for any of the smaller Orem clubs.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Liverpool:

League - 2nd again. I can see City winning it while Chelsea drop off to 3rd due to poor options up front and Mourinho leaving in May. United to probably shade Arsenal for 4th.

Champions League - Get out of the group and see where we go from there. One thing is for sure, no team will want us over 2 legs.

FA Cup - I wouldn't mind a nice cup run as long as it doesn't interfere with league and CL games. Not too bothered but I'll go for a quarter final defeat due to playing a weakened team.

League Cup - Play all the kids with a few reserves and let them see how they get on, nobody really cares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk
    Should win the League
    Depends what starting 11 we play in the final of the League Cup
    Want to win the FAI CUP, Galway at home in last 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal

League - Can see us challenging but maybe ending up third in between the two Manchester clubs. Chelsea will be just too strong I feel.

Champions League - Would love to do something here. Can see us getting to the quarter finals, maybe semis if the draw goes our way but no further. The elite trio will prove too strong.

FA Cup - Cup did wonders for us last year and would love another strong run. Could see us making the final, maybe win it.

League Cup - Get the likes of Crowley, Pleggy, Zelalem and some other youngsters some good first team experience. A few games together for them and ill be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal:

League - 85 points. Prob not enough to win it. Even the idea of 'challenging' is fairly subjective from season to season. Historically 86 points is the average winning total so around there is a fairly acceptable result for anyone.

CL - would like to make the semis. Putting the group to bed early doors usually helps here. Plus the schedule around there is friendlier. Not only have Arsenal gotten tough draws over the last few years but they've always been sandwiched between horrible league fixtures too.

Would love one of the FA/league cup. Though the way we approach the league cup makes it hard to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Leeds Utd

Could be anything from relegation to playoffs. We are bringing in plenty of players from abroad but we really have no idea how good they are. Hockaday is a our coach. If your thinking who is Hockaday, well its no different than any Leeds fan.
    So there is no way of predicting what this season will bring. At least the owner Cellino is intending to buy back Elland Road with the money we got from the sale of McCormack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton Town

League Two: Finish in play off place or better. To be honest I'd take mid table this year after last few seasons.

League Cup: Probably beaten by Wolves tonight.

FA Cup: 3rd round.

Football League Trophy: Quarter Final.

Edit: Fantastic win tonight against Wolves, so live to fight another day in league cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Shamrock Rovers

League: finish in a European spot

League cup: beat Dundalk in the final

Fai cup: win the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nottingham Forest

I expect promotion, nothing less is good enough considering the money that's been invested and the players at Stuart Pearce's disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Team: Chelsea

Premier League: We only need to improve from last season by another 5-7 points IMO, so the additions of Couirtois, Filipe Luis, Fabregas & Diego Costa should make this difference. I expect us to be champions and at the very least to still be in it going into the final day of the season.

Champions League: You cant say I expect us to win the Champions League as there are too many good teams there. I expect a quarter final at least, and I expect us to top our group.

FA Cup: Expecting a good run but not a priority.

League Cup: Dont expect us to win it, dont really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Celtic

League 1st in the league.

Champions League Celtic need to bring in quality players to replace the ones that left. I still expect them to qualify for the group stages but thats as far as they will go.

Scottish Cup & League Cup Celtic are more than able to do the treble. But Id love to see them play Rangers in One of the cups.

Advertisement