Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarsfield day

• 09-08-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

www. sarsfieldsday.com/

Saturday 9th August.

9.00am Sarsfields Ride (cycle tour) 135kms (85mls) – Start/Finish – King Johns Castle, Limerick. Top class cycle tour over the whole route of Sarsfields historic ride to Ballyneety in 1690 and continuing on to finish at King Johns Castle, Limerick. The route will travel through Counties Clare, Tipperary, Limerick, and finish at King John’s Castle, Limerick .
    Click here for registration form and route map.

1.00pm Medieval Fayre at Arthurs Quay Riverside Park, Limerick Centre.

2.00pm Battle re-enactments and Craft & Food Stalls @Medieval Fayre at Arthurs Quay park.

4.00pm Busking Competition ( open to everyone over 16). Prizes & chance to perform in Dolans.

5.00pm Return of Sarsfields Ride Cycle Tour to King Johns Castle.

9.00pm 100 fully costumed Jacobean horsemen including Sarsfield, Galloping Hogan, Boisseleau, Ned of the Hills, Honora de Burke etc will ride out of King John’s castle over Thomond Bridge and down Clancys strand with a marching band, followed by an enormous fireworks display and Sound & Light show on the riverfront.

Sunday 10th August.

1.00pm Medieval Fayre with Battle Re-enactments at Arthurs Quay Park.

2.oopm Tug of war ( between the 5 medieval parishes of Limerick), Archery, Busking Competition ( Open to everybody) Pig Roast, BBQs, Kiddies entertainments, Crafts & lots more.

5.30pm Closing ceremony.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dang just spotted this now. Didn't see it advertised anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The Fireworks were amazing! well done to whoever set up the firework show.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Did not see any marching band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Fireworks were good the rest of it no band the gallop down the quay and the setup in arthur's quay park just seemed poorly organized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭betonit

only heard about this on friday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Pauric89

Shame I am only seeing this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

You cant really gallop horses down a tarmac road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Why wasn't this advertised anywhere? Who organized it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This was listed in the City of Culture booklet, it was also on the front page of the website for the last number of weeks, this was a free event...along with about 300 other free events this year...how could they justify an advertising budget for all of them?

As the posters say folks..."Open your eyes to your City of Culture"

This was listed in the City of Culture booklet

that worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

betonit wrote: »
    that worked

Well it did for the 2/3,000 that turned up...

I don't think people realise the scale of what is happening here, like I said, with over 300 events it is virtually impossible and incredibly expensive to advertise on local radio/newspapers, I did notice it in the leader website I don't buy the paper and I don't read the post so it may have been mentioned in those...

But do not expect to see adverts for any free events in particular, you are asking for too much...get your hands on a booklet...if you can't be bothered to do that then you are not really in a position to complain in my opinion.

All i said (similar to others) I didnt hear about it til friday, thats just a fact an observation.

Its actually a constructive observation .... if it were to run again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have found that liking the City of Culture Facebook page is probably the best way to find out about events without looking too hard. The main website is a pita, as instead of listing events chronologically it puts them in categories, which many events could easily fall into a number of, and you have to guess which it might be. But if you are a semi-regular facebook user and you like their page, you'll pretty much always have a week or so of notice. It's a really poor system. As there is little point in having these events if they don't generate interest and revenue.

I didn't go into any of the events in Arthur's Quay as the weather was too unpredictable but I went to the fireworks display on Saturday night. I was disappointed by the lack of advertised music but my 1.5 year old very much enjoyed seeing all the horses. He loves horses and was in shock that so many could possibly exist. The fireworks were good apart from a period in the middle where they were pretty much totally obscured by smoke. I've never seen that happen before, so I assume it had to do with the weather conditions? Some people around me left during that period, fed up that they were seeing nothing. But once the wind blew the smoke down river, the fireworks were good again.

Advertisement