Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Are you new here? :pac:

Only hang around in the spurs forum!!!!

City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    United
    Liverpool

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Only hang around in the spurs forum!!!!

And that post is fair game in the spurs forum but might not be cool in here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Chelsea to win the league.

Liverpool to be top at the table at Christmas.

Everton will be fighting for 4th this season.

Burnley, Villa and Leicester City to get relegated.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

davycc wrote: »
    Heres hoping Costa flops and spends more time suspended/injured than playing :pac:

He's not going to flop. He's been immense in pre-season. That said, he will more than likely be banned for 6 or so matches in the PL and we'll see what happens with his injury. Looks fit for now but got hit by a horror tackle last night.

1. Chelsea;
    2. Man City;
    3. Liverpool;
    4. Man Utd;
    5. Arsenal;
    6. Everton.

TS: Lukaku;
    POTY: Fabregas;
    YPOTY: Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. United
    5. Spurs
    6. Liverpool
    7. Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

1 Chelsea
    2 City
    3 United
    4 Arsenal
    5 Spurs
    6 Pool
    7 Everton

Too scorer Costa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Are people actually serious who say liverpool will finish behind spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chelsea are gonna cake walk it.

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. United
    5. Liverpool
    6. Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rob316 wrote: »

Liverpool will need to continue to outscore teams if Gerrard continues in the DM role. With Suarez gone, they have significantly reduced the quality of their attacking options. I can see why people think Liverpool are gonna struggle this year.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Liverpool had a lot more in attack last season than just Suarez. Obviously, his absence is a big deal but it's laughable to shove them in behind Spurs for next season, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Im a spurs fan and can only see liverpool finishing ahead of and Manu too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

City to just pip Chelsea to the post. As good as they were, I think they under-performed last season relative to what I think they're capable of. I think the Chelsea squad are close or thereabouts but City's front line, as it stands, does it for me. They would benefit from an upgrade on Hart though.

As a Liverpool supporter I'd be hopeful that the purchases post-Suarez, coupled with more maturity and experience of Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge will be enough to get top 4. I'd feel a little more comfortable if a formidable striker is added however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

SantryRed wrote: »
    Chelsea are gonna cake walk it.

1. Chelsea
    2. Arsenal
    3. City
    4. United
    5. Liverpool
    6. Spurs
    Last time people thought that Scolari was out of a job after a few months, not saying it won't happen but just shows preseason beliefs said so surely can really blow up in people's faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Suarez scored almost a 1/3 of Liverpool's goals last season and as yet that hasn't been replaced, if its not then they will struggle IMO.
    Bought poorly so far, Lovren is the only player brought in so far that will improve the first 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

yabadabado wrote: »
    Suarez scored almost a 1/3 of Liverpool's goals last season and as yet that hasn't been replaced, if its not then they will struggle IMO.
    Bought poorly so far, Lovren is the only player brought in so far that will improve the first 11.

Liverpool don't have to replace all of Suarez's goals. Take away all his goals and they still scored a lot. Even if he stayed it would be unrealistic to expect the same goals return from the team this season. I'd certainly expect Sterling to score more. He got 9 last season after only really becoming a regular half way through the season. Sturridge might get a couple more than last season if he stays fit. Lallana will chip in. He got 9 last season. Markovic will get a few. Coutinho may get a couple more. I think Liverpool will get another striker in before the window closes as well so will have to wait and see who that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal
    United
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Spurs

WBA
    Swansea
    Burnley

The lack of European football will help utd as it did for liverpool/Everton last year.

Normal (2 of the last 20 seasons!!) service to resume and Everton to finish above their Mersey rivals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I could see Liverpool really struggling. When you put the partisan stuff to one side, they've effectively replaced Luis Suarez with Ricky Lambert and will be fighting on four fronts instead of three. I think that they'll finish in 5th at best. Last season may prove to be just an abberation with previous consecutive 7th place finishes the real norm. Next season should be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I could see Liverpool really struggling. When you put the partisan stuff to one side, they've effectively replaced Luis Suarez with Ricky Lambert and will be fighting on four fronts instead of three. I think that they'll finish in 5th at best. Last season may prove to be just an abberation with previous consecutive 7th place finishes the real norm. Next season should be fascinating.

Liverpool replaced Aspas with Lambert. They are still trying to get someone in to replace Suarez, or try to get someone who can get 15-20 goals next season.

I do agree at this time I think Liverpool will finish 5th. It just depends on the rest of the window imo. If we can get someone like Cavani in then id fancy us to stay top 4. As you say, next season will be a very interesting one, for many teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd.

5. Liverpool
    6. Everton

POTY - Ozil.

Top Goalscorer - Aguero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I think Van Gaal has more on his plate than some realise. He's lost 3 senior defenders, and while you could argue they were all in decline, you can't dismiss their influence as leaders. Even more concerning is that he doesn't seem to be all that pushed about performing major surgery on the defence.

The man himself has becried the imbalanced squad he's inherited so I'm not sure where the unwavering confidence so many seem to have that they'll be top 4.

There's no way I could make any final standings predictions anyway as it's going to be another incredibly tight league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Very surprised by the amount of people who think villa will go down. They're much, much stronger than last season already. They won't pull up trees, but like last season they'll float around the 10-12 mark for most of the season and end up safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Kirby wrote: »
    Have they though? I'm not so sure. We have over the hill ex-stars like Shevchenko and Eto'o. Broken players like Torres. Unproven, raw youngsters like Lukaku. Never good enoughs like Kezman and Ba.

Costa is the first striker they have signed in ages that is potentially at the height of his powers. We shall see if he lives up to his billing but considering the talent they have signed everywhere else on the pitch, Costa is the first proper striker they have signed in donkeys years.

Shevchenko was not "over the hill". He was still putting up great goal tallies until the second he joined Chelsea, they broke him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Everyone writing liverpool off. Liverpool can cope without suarez they are much more of a team than an individual.

No-one's writing Liverpool off, they will still be top 4 contenders but Suarez gave them the x-factor and that's gone now. He was the difference on so many occasions and what he brought to the team is irreplaceable. I do think Liverpool were right to sell Suarez at this stage but there's no denying they're a weakened side with him gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

1. Manchester United at a canter
    2. Chelsea
    3. Manchester City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Liverpool
    6. Spurs
    7. Everton

Top scorer: Robin Van Persie to have one more big year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1) Chelsea
    2) Manchester City
    3) Arsenal
    4) Manchester United

5) Liverpool
    6) Tottenham
    7) Everton

18) Hull (dependent on them qualifying for the Europa League group stages)
    19) West Brom
    20) Burnley

Sitting on the fence a bit with these, as it's probably a bit too early to call with the transfer window not even closed yet but anyway:

Top Scorer - Aguero if he plays near to 30 games. If not, Rooney.
    Most Assists - Mata or Ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

1) Chelsea
    2) Manchester United
    3) Manchester City
    4) Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Uncomfortable with the amount of people placing Arsenal as 2/3. Usually we're 5/6 on most of these lists.

Liverpool don't have to replace all of Suarez's goals. Take away all his goals and they still scored a lot. Even if he stayed it would be unrealistic to expect the same goals return from the team this season. I'd certainly expect Sterling to score more. He got 9 last season after only really becoming a regular half way through the season. Sturridge might get a couple more than last season if he stays fit. Lallana will chip in. He got 9 last season. Markovic will get a few. Coutinho may get a couple more. I think Liverpool will get another striker in before the window closes as well so will have to wait and see who that is.

There's a lot of ifs and mights in there. Without another 20 goal striker Liverpool will struggle.Saurez was more than just a goal machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

There's a lot of ifs and mights in there. Without another 20 goal striker Liverpool will struggle.Saurez was more than just a goal machine.

Isn't the whole argument for Liverpool finishing outside the top four based on ifs and mights.

Fescue wrote: »
    Isn't the whole argument for Liverpool finishing outside the top four based on ifs and mights.

For me the reason Liverpool will be outside top 4 is Saurez being sold .no if or mights there,he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd
    5. Liverpool
    6. Everton
    7. Spurs

Top scorer: tough to say, injuries always play such a big part in this, I'd say either Costa or RVP

POTY: Eden Hazard, it's his season
    YPOTY: The Sterling hype train is well underway, so him or Shaw.

For me the reason Liverpool will be outside top 4 is Saurez being sold .no if or mights there,he's gone.

I assume people said the exact same thing when Falcao left Atletico. They actually pushed on after that and became better.

Now while I can't guarantee something similar will happen at Liverpool, you could argue Atletico were even more reliant on Falcao. I think he scored half of Atletico's goals in his final season there.

I assume people said the exact same thing when Falcao left Atletico. They actually pushed on after that and became better.

Now while I can't guarantee something similar will happen at Liverpool, you could argue Atletico were even more reliant on Falcao. I think he scored half of Atletico's goals in his final season there.

AM historically are a selling club, they've replaces each big striker with one just as good or better over the years, Torres, Ageuro, Falcao and now Costa.
    Hell yo can even go back to Christian Vieri and Hasslevbaink all came in scored a **** load of goals and were sold on and replaces. It's how they do.

Name one club that has sold there best goal scorer/player for a **** load of money and replaced them adequately?

lordgoat wrote: »
    AM historically are a selling club, they've replaces each big striker with one just as good or better over the years, Torres, Ageuro, Falcao and now Costa.
    Hell yo can even go back to Christian Vieri and Hasslevbaink all came in scored a **** load of goals and were sold on and replaces. It's how they do.

Name one club that has sold there best goal scorer/player for a **** load of money and replaced them adequately?

Have you not just answered your own question in the previous paragraph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rush---> Fowler--->Owen--->Torres--->Suarez
    --->Sturridge?

Have you not just answered your own question in the previous paragraph?

Should have said one other club. Pretty sure that was obvious though.

djPSB wrote: »
    Rush---> Fowler--->Owen--->Torres--->Suarez
    --->Sturridge?

oh ya that's another set of world class strikers... Liverpool really blossomed after selling each one too.

• Advertisement

Should have said one other club. Pretty sure that was obvious though.

It wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm amazed that some liverpool fans fail to see how important Suarez was last season, his overall game and not just the goals took them to the next level. They are a much less formidable without him. I reckon Tactically it will be easier to play them.

Jaysus its not a pissing contest.for me Liverpool first 11 is far weaker ATM than it was last season with no Saurez.
    I thought Rodgers would have bought far better than he has so far but time will tell.Few weeks left in the window and he might get a few more players in. ,so far the signings are very underwhelming.

Jaysus its not a pissing contest.for me Liverpool first 11 is far weaker ATM than it was last season with no Saurez.
    I thought Rodgers would have bought far better than he has so far but time will tell.Few weeks left in the window and he might get a few more players in. ,so far the signings are very underwhelming.

I understand where people are coming from, especially United supporters, there is a hope and a belief that Liverpool will drop down the league now Suarez has gone. It could well be the case.

The only question I have is what makes people think United will overtake them. They have bought only two players, neither of whom are game changers. They have lost a lot of experience and are looking to improve from a position of 7th last year. For me there are even more question marks over United than Liverpool. Heck Liverpool are trying to offload a defender in Agger, who is better than any defender United currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I understand where people are coming from, especially United supporters, there is a hope and a belief that Liverpool will drop down the league now Suarez has gone. It could well be the case.

The only question I have is what makes people think United will overtake them. They have bought only two players, neither of whom are game changers. They have lost a lot of experience and are looking to improve from a position of 7th last year. For me there are even more question marks over United than Liverpool. Heck Liverpool are trying to offload a defender in Agger, who is better than any defender United currently have.

Do you think 7th was about right for that squad of United players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

United sold van nistleroy, barca sold ronaldinho, juve sold zidane, none of those worked out too badly I think....

• Advertisement

Do you think 7th was about right for that squad of United players?

Well that's a moot point, the fact is that's where they finished and the table doesn't lie. The year Liverpool finished 7th after finishng 2nd the previous year, I would have said the team was better than 7th. I would have been wrong.

Now I have no doubt that LVG will get United back to the top and challenging, my only point is that I think it will take longer than most United fans expect.

Outside of RVP, DDG, Rooney and Mata, there isn't a whole lot of quality there.

Look at United's front three...Van Persie, Rooney and Mata. Look at their goalkeeper.

United are streets ahead of Liverpool in terms of world class quality and depth.

Last season was an aberration for both clubs in my view.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well that's a moot point, the fact is that's where they finished and the table doesn't lie. The year Liverpool finished 7th after finishng 2nd the previous year, I would have said the team was better than 7th. I would have been wrong.

Now I have no doubt that LVG will get United back to the top and challenging, my only point is that I think it will take longer than most United fans expect.

Outside of RVP, DDG, Rooney and Mata, there isn't a whole lot of quality there.

It's not a moot point. Moyes was an absolute disaster, it's a squad full of winners and I think people are overstating the challenge to get back up the table. 7th is not their level.

CB is an issue at present but I expect it to be sorted out in some way before the window closes.

I could easily name a handful of Liverpool players and say there's no quality outside of them and it would be a smaller handful than the ones you mentioned and they would still be inferior players.

It's not a moot point. Moyes was an absolute disaster, it's a squad full of winners and I think people are overstating the challenge to get back up the table. 7th is not their level.

CB is an issue at present but I expect it to be sorted out in some way before he window closes.

I could easily name a handful of Liverpool players and say there's no quality outside of them and it would be a smaller handful than the ones you mentioned.

Precisely.

If you look at the two squads objectively, United's is superior.

Moyes' incompetence isn't a factor anymore.

United have bought in a proven manager and have a few of the best player's in the league.I don't know what Liverpool trying to get rid of Agger has to do with United but I think most would rate Evans higher than him.Rodgers obviously doesn't want him so no big deal him leaving.Agger decent footballer poor defender.
    Liverpool should have won the league last season but they let it slip away and for me they are are a poorer side now.
    They will be in the mix for fourth spot but nothing more IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement