Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs for medical students

Options
  • 09-08-2014 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

This has popped up as a thread before but it turned into hand bags.

Starting medicine next month. Am I right in assuming that the only feasible job for medical students would be as a health care assistant? I have manual handling and garda vetting completed already. Can anyone who has experience as a HCA tell me how long I have to wait before I can apply for work as a HCA.

If any one has any other job suggestions then fire away because I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I suppose it depends on what your undergrad was or if you previously worked as something else.

With regards to being a HCA, you can apply straight away. I'm going into stage 2 GEP and I've been working as a health care assistant in a nursing home this summer. I was also offered work as a home carer with an agency but went for the nursing home as I thought I'd be working with more people. I didnt need to do the Fetac course, only thing I needed was manual handling and I had to fill out the Garda vetting but I started work before that was sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Heading into Stage 1 GEM, and this sounds like a very good idea for next summer. Garda vetting is done as part of admissions to the course, I think, but where would I be able to do the manual handling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ibizarocks

I did physiotherapy before medicine so got to do it as part of that. I also did manual handling when I worked in a supermarket.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You can do patient handling through the agencies, a lot will insist you do it with them even if you already have it. Each employer will do their own Garda vetting, it isn't transferable. For student nurses, Nurse on Call and CPL insist that you have completed your first clinical placement (about 200 hours on the ward) before they will take you on. Not sure how it would work for medical students. Can take a while to jump through all the hoops for NOC/CPL, might be quicker to go with one of the home care agencies, but the money isn't as good. The hospital I do my placements in takes medical students on in catering and portering during the summer. Think I've seen one or two doing phlebotomy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Thanks. I'll have to give it a look throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

ibizarocks wrote: »
    I did physiotherapy before medicine so got to do it as part of that. I also did manual handling when I worked in a supermarket.

Patient handling is different from manual handling for supermarkets.

One of the girls who works with me in a nursing home also told me that she got her manual handling through hseland.ie for free, she was recommended to get it there by the woman who interviewed her. Wish I'd heard that before I'd paid €80!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ibizarocks

Patient handling is different from manual handling for supermarkets.

One of the girls who works with me in a nursing home also told me that she got her manual handling through hseland.ie for free, she was recommended to get it there by the woman who interviewed her. Wish I'd heard that before I'd paid €80!

I did patient handling in physio though

Advertisement