Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I borrow for education against house equity?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I am looking to undertake a Master degree part-time and need to borrow €10,000. I had hoped to add the 10K onto my mortgage by borrowing against equity I have on my house which at presents stands at about €50K. It was mentioned to me that the bank will only let you borrow against the equity of the house if the money is to be used for home improvements which will subsequently add value to the property. Would anyone know if its possible to borrow for educational purposes like I was hoping to? Any information/advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

petes2008 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking to undertake a Master degree part-time and need to borrow €10,000. I had hoped to add the 10K onto my mortgage by borrowing against equity I have on my house which at presents stands at about €50K. It was mentioned to me that the bank will only let you borrow against the equity of the house if the money is to be used for home improvements which will subsequently add value to the property. Would anyone know if its possible to borrow for educational purposes like I was hoping to? Any information/advice is much appreciated.

There is no hard and fast rule. It all depends on your LTV ratio and your capacity to repay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Bank of Ireland are offering equity release products for home improvements and education expenses at the moment anyways.

Advertisement