Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th Y Past Pupils ; How many hours a day do you spend total on homework on a weekday?

• 09-08-2014 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Also total hours on a weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

On a weekday, at the beginning of the year ~2.5/3 hours. At the end 4/4.5

At the weekend, at the beginning ~3/3.5
    At the very end ~5.5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sucette! wrote: »
    On a weekday, at the beginning of the year ~2.5/3 hours. At the end 4/4.5

At the weekend, at the beginning ~3/3.5
    At the very end ~5.5/6

im not interested on how well your results were but did your grades improve and were you doing all honours? myself i am currently but wasnt motivated enough to study for house exams anyway this year im fully focused and i know i will def will put in a lot of work i swear because last year

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

im not interested on how well your results were but did your grades improve and were you doing all honours? myself i am currently but wasnt motivated enough to study for house exams anyway this year im fully focused and i know i will def will put in a lot of work i swear because last year

I actually don't know what my results were yet. But I'm hoping for 500+. And yes, I did 7 higher level subjects.
    My grades did improve a bit/remain constant with that amount of study. I just found that amount worked for me, I was working really untill I got what I needed to be done, done. You''ll find as the year goes on, you'll find what suits you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

As many hours as required. Usually 4-5 hours a night. Weekends the same.

But as it got closer to exams I tended to do the bare minimum and just study instead. Just burst through the exam papers the whole time, they were the **** for studying.

I did 8 HL subjects and got 8A's. Homework is grand at the start of the year, but for the mocks and stuff I didn't do any and just studied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

4 to 5 hours from the beginning of 6th year until school officially finished. (Though it was possibly lower for the last month.)
    I rarely did anything on a Friday and I don't think I studied on a Saturday even once. Sunday, probably 4.

I did very little over the holidays. I did do my special topic at Christmas and I did a lot of practice for the oral with a friend over Easter. (By the way, that's absolutely the best way to study for the orals in my experience.) I also did relatively little from school finishing until the exams started.

I got 7 A's and a B1, all at higher level.

Personally, I need structure. I did all my homework very thoroughly and did relatively little study and I was fine. Working consistently makes your life so much easier. Instead of the year building to a crescendo at the end of the year as I frantically crammed, the last month was probably the most relaxing of the entire year other than Christmas. (Also, understand, don't learn off. You'll remember it better and for much, much longer.)

I probably would have had a lot more trouble if my teachers hadn't assigned much homework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

On weeknights I did three hours of work after school and on weekends I did about 4 hours on Saturday and finished homework on Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

About an hour, tops.
    I'll let you know how that worked out for me come Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Weekdays I got home at 4:30 and relaxed until 5.
    Normally worked until 8:30 including small break for dinner. I did nothing on Fridays and 2 hours each day at the weekend

Advertisement