Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about wiring to a shed

Options
  • 09-08-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm getting a wall built and a shed installed in the garden soon and I'll want electrics from the house to power a couple of sockets and a light in the shed. Is it best to put the cable down in and along the foundations of the wall? Also would putting the cable through wavin waste pipe along the foundations be a good or bad idea? If bad what would be a good alternative that won't break the bank?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Am not an expert but your idea seems ok. A bit of common sense on a secure route. Terminate cable with own MCB at your fuse board. Install local board in shed for lights and sockets. Others may know more than me though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You'll need to size your cable based on intended load and obviously have somewhere to supply it from. What are you intending?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 saraceno

You'll need to size your cable based on intended load and obviously have somewhere to supply it from. What are you intending?

Nearest power point in the house is about 11 metres away. I'll be using the sockets for a fridge (not always on) and occasionally for a lawnmower etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Sorry about jumping on this thread, I have the same question but have the shed built. I ran a heavy duty armour cable from the shed along the garden wall hoping to get it connected to the fuse board at the side of the House, but a big job, is it possible to reroute this and take a spur off a socket in the kitchen and run back to the shed into a fuse board and take connections from this to feed 2 fluorescent tubes and maybe 2 sockets, am I pushing this or is it not up to electric code, I wont be doing this myself but calling on the expertise of a fully qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well in the excellent post thread there are description for this. You wont get many agreeing with you on where you are getting your power from, most would say take it back to the board and have a little consumer unit in the shed.

So all that aside your question is really about outside cabling, if the cable will be submerged even PVC pipe then you will need to use SWA cable, this is expensive.

You could clip a cheaper NYMJ cable to a wall at height that wont be hit with garden tools.

Some will have issues about sunlight damaging NYMJ but its been feeding the shed in our house for 25 years without damage, but its worth noting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Sorry about jumping on this thread, I have the same question but have the shed built. I ran a heavy duty armour cable from the shed along the garden wall hoping to get it connected to the fuse board at the side of the House, but a big job, is it possible to reroute this and take a spur off a socket in the kitchen and run back to the shed into a fuse board and take connections from this to feed 2 fluorescent tubes and maybe 2 sockets, am I pushing this or is it not up to electric code, I wont be doing this myself but calling on the expertise of a fully qualified electrician.

Well to take this from a socket would not be great practice IMO. You could have the SWA clipped along the side of the house and pop in the external wall close and below the fuse board?? but making that hole and connection would be a job for a sparks.

The socket in the kitchen would be fed from an ELCB/RCD/RCBO.

It would not be great practice to run this outside to feed sockets and lights directly, have a look in the excellent post thread for more details

Advertisement