Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season prediction !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I believe we will sign a striker in this window, although nothing is for sure. If we dont sign a striker who is going to be Poch's mumber one striker?

I think the hard working Adebayor will start on Saturday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I think the hard working Adebayor will start on Saturday ;)

I hope not, he looked jaded after 30 mins against Shalke. Bobby Soldier looks fit and eager, I'd start him and maybe Ade for final 30

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm gonna call it right now, paulinho is gonna be an absolute champ for us this season....have no idea how poch will use him, or where his ability will come from but somehow he'll be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I'm gonna call it right now, paulinho is gonna be an absolute champ for us this season....have no idea how poch will use him, or where his ability will come from but somehow he'll be great

Yep, following on from his stellar World Cup :-)

mickman wrote: »
    Yep, following on from his stellar World Cup :-)

Hardly his fault, the whole team was a shambles much like ours last season. He might want to get stuck in. He's another that I don't think anyone has seen the best of

• Advertisement

Hardly his fault, the whole team was a shambles much like ours last season. He might want to get stuck in. He's another that I don't think anyone has seen the best of

He was singled out for plenty criticism though

mickman wrote: »
    He was singled out for plenty criticism though

He has more to prove then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Final position. .. 8th or 9th.

Think we will see a similar season to 2 or 3 years ago. I.e. play lots of good attacking football, dominate games and possession and create tonnes of chances but lack a cutting edge. I expect we will pick up a couple of promising wins/draws against the big 5 and come undone against a few of the weaker teams too. A typical Spurs season really.

Doubt we will win any cups. We might be involved in the latter stages of all of them but ultimately end up with little to show for it.

Top goalscorer: Ade.. With about 12-14 EPL goal. 10 of which will come in 12 games and he'll do f**k all in the other 20 matches.

Standout player. Erickson again. Followed closely by Lloris (again).

Letdown player. Dawson if he plays more than 10 games. Paulinho unless there's a massive change in attitude. Not suited to Pocchy's style at all. Davies to be a letdown too. Slight improvement on Rose.

Break through/most improved. Can't see anyone coming through the ranks having a massive impact. Kane might grab a dozen goals in the cups if he is used. Other then that I'm hope Potch can utilise Capoue better than AVB did.

Can't edit my original post but going to add one comment.

Poch to be gone before the start of 15/16 season. Resign, sacked, who knows...

I'm not saying he'll be a failure but my prediction of 8th or 9th won't be enough for Levy. Even if we match last season and finish 6th. I think he will get the chop. Only top 4 or a cup and top 6 will save him from the axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Not so sure about the above. Can't see levy giving Poch any less than 2 or 3 seasons.

He really can't afford to sack him without giving him time. If he did then I would say fans would revolt and public opinion of him would really plummet resulting in everyone calling for his head.

Not so sure about the above. Can't see levy giving Poch any less than 2 or 3 seasons.

He really can't afford to sack him without giving him time. If he did then I would say fans would revolt and public opinion of him would really plummet resulting in everyone calling for his head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If Poch goes, Levy has to go.

I'm sticking with some optimism, and we'll start with a win tomorrow. And we'll hover around the top 4 for a while, but ultimately finish in the top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Levy isn't an idiot. He knows that the AVB/Sherwood debacle created a lot of trouble from the fan base. He knows that a lot of fans who respected his shrewd businessman approach are starting to get a bit fed up.

I'm fairly certain he's going to give Poch longer than AVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm hopeful of a top four finish but this could just be blind loyalty?

When I actually think about it, Chelsea and Man City are almost sure to be in top four. United are strengthening and with no european stuff I fancy them to fin in top four also. So that leaves one spot for Spurs, liverpool, Arsenal and maybe everton or some dark horse to fight for.

If we do not buy a very good striker, we aint getting 4th.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I'm hopeful of a top four finish but this could just be blind loyalty?

When I actually think about it, Chelsea and Man City are almost sure to be in top four. United are strengthening and with no european stuff I fancy them to fin in top four also. So that leaves one spot for Spurs, liverpool, Arsenal and maybe everton or some dark horse to fight for.

If we do not buy a very good striker, we aint getting 4th.

Agreed . And Europa will prob condemn us to 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

jiltloop wrote: »

Replace the word Poch with the word AVB and you have the same thing we all were saying last summer and the summer before.
    jiltloop wrote: »

He might not sack him. He might resign or something along the lines of what happened with AVB.
    In 13 years DL isn't exactly know for giving them time. I hope I'm wrong. I still think Poch will do well. But will be good enough for DL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Replace the word Poch with the word AVB and you have the same thing we all were saying last summer and the summer before.

He might not sack him. He might resign or something along the lines of what happened with AVB.
    In 13 years DL isn't exactly know for giving them time. I hope I'm wrong. I still think Poch will do well. But will be good enough for DL

What about the rest of the board, Joe lewis and all, they have a rather large say in the hiring and firing. Saying "DL isn't exactly known for giving them a chance" seems to be echoing rag media chatter, which is disappointing.

No doubt if poch fails DL will have to step down, he's the figurehead and the rest of the board will need a scapegoat.

I think with AVB it was more of a mutual decision than a sacking by the sounds of it. You may be right about Poch walking out after a disagreement but he won't be sacked by Levy (not early on anyway) and I think Levy will give Poch more of chance than he has previous managers. He'll be actively avoiding a conflict which leads to another AVB scenario.

What about the rest of the board, Joe lewis and all, they have a rather large say in the hiring and firing. Saying "DL isn't exactly known for giving them a chance" seems to be echoing rag media chatter, which is disappointing.

No doubt if poch fails DL will have to step down, he's the figurehead and the rest of the board will need a scapegoat.

You're dead right. There's more to it then just DL but he is responsible for the day today running of the club. Joe Lewis ain't gonna sack himself is he.

I just don't understand why people think this time will be different then every time before. Poch needs 4th or he needs 5th/6th and a cup to progress to next season. I'm not saying that's appropriate. Not at all. But it's highly probable.

You're dead right. There's more to it then just DL but he is responsible for the day today running of the club. Joe Lewis ain't gonna sack himself is he.

Levy owns 40% of the club, he'd be sacking himself too

• Advertisement

Well then. Of it come to DL vs the current manager, who are the board going to support?

Isn't Levy also married to Joe Lewis's daughter. He'll be there as long as ENIC are owners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Isn't Levy also married to Joe Lewis's daughter. He'll be there as long as ENIC are owners

I love Danny the dictator!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think this is the most suitable thread to write this comment.

It may have been said already but, with this being yet another 'season of transition', would it not be a good idea to focus on winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa Cup at the cost of the Premier League?

The above sounds like a reaction to the league start but, if we're actually in a season of transition, surely we can afford to come tenth in the league.....if it meant picking up some silverware and avoiding a season in the Europa Cup next season, it'd be worth it.

I just don't want to pin all my hopes on a top four finish, with faltering league performances resulting in a punishment of Europa Cup.....and that's exactly what I've experienced for the last few years.

It all seems very logical. If we win the Europa we have Champions League next year and thus have money to spend on Poch's players. If we don't win the Europa, but come 8th in the league (plus had a good run in the domestic cups)..... We'd have no Europa next year and have a great run at the league in a post-transition season.

Surely if Poch finished 8th to 10th, had a fresh piece of silverware in the cabinet and one other cup final appearance then he couldn't be sacked?

I don't mean to be writing off the league so early, I'm just being pragmatic.

Any thoughts?

Could you put up with the shame of coming 8th-10th if it meant winning a cup?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well we're not going to get top 4, so i'd be ok with giving the cups a serious run. To be fair though, if we play like we have in the last few games, we won't be winning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Kiith wrote: »
    Well we're not going to get top 4, so i'd be ok with giving the cups a serious run. To be fair though, if we play like we have in the last few games, we won't be winning anything.

This is key. Look at how we play away from home in the Europa League. You can practically guarantee that we'll finish the match 0 - 0, with an abject boring performance, regardless of the opposition. What then happens is we at best draw and more commonly lose the subsequent Sunday league game, whether playing home or away.

Focusing on the cups is all well and good, but at the moment the team isn't playing well enough to focus on anything other than improving, regardless of what competition the improvements happen.

SuprSi wrote: »
    This is key. Look at how we play away from home in the Europa League. You can practically guarantee that we'll finish the match 0 - 0, with an abject boring performance, regardless of the opposition. What then happens is we at best draw and more commonly lose the subsequent Sunday league game, whether playing home or away.

I agree, the performances aren't great. Though if we had played a first team in Belgrade, do you not think we would have got three points?

Even for Poch's own future it might be more pragmatic for him to get silverware at all costs. People expecting us to play the way Southampton did at the end of Poch's reign, should remember they practically had a full season together before Southampton started playing the memorable football. My only fear is that DL won't give Poch the time needed to bring that football to WHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree, the performances aren't great. Though if we had played a first team in Belgrade, do you not think we would have got three points?

Even for Poch's own future it might be more pragmatic for him to get silverware at all costs. People expecting us to play the way Southampton did at the end of Poch's reign, should remember they practically had a full season together before Southampton started playing the memorable football. My only fear is that DL won't give Poch the time needed to bring that football to WHL.

I dunno, we've played full teams away in plenty of EL matches and still had the same crappy 0 - 0 performances and results, albeit under different management. That we have another new manager and are already seeing the same type of performance and result is worrying though.

We couldn't get even 1 point at home to WBA at the weekend, with a full team, so our ability to get 3 points anywhere against any opposition is being seriously questioned already this season. I don't see it being answered this Saturday either!

I think this is the most suitable thread to write this comment.

It may have been said already but, with this being yet another 'season of transition', would it not be a good idea to focus on winning the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa Cup at the cost of the Premier League?

The above sounds like a reaction to the league start but, if we're actually in a season of transition, surely we can afford to come tenth in the league.....if it meant picking up some silverware and avoiding a season in the Europa Cup next season, it'd be worth it.

I just don't want to pin all my hopes on a top four finish, with faltering league performances resulting in a punishment of Europa Cup.....and that's exactly what I've experienced for the last few years.

It all seems very logical. If we win the Europa we have Champions League next year and thus have money to spend on Poch's players. If we don't win the Europa, but come 8th in the league (plus had a good run in the domestic cups)..... We'd have no Europa next year and have a great run at the league in a post-transition season.

Surely if Poch finished 8th to 10th, had a fresh piece of silverware in the cabinet and one other cup final appearance then he couldn't be sacked?

I don't mean to be writing off the league so early, I'm just being pragmatic.

Any thoughts?

Could you put up with the shame of coming 8th-10th if it meant winning a cup?

:D:D:D:D I must have been writing this post half asleep last night, just rememebered - if we win the FA Cup or League Cup we'll be back in the Europa League net year.

Whoops!! :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

12th

Advertisement