Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone ID this beetle?

• 09-08-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Found this guy out in Connemara, thought he was a type of beetle but really unsure? Can anyone shed some light?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

You're right that its a beetle. It's a rove beetle (Staphylinidae) which have very short 'elytra' or wing coverings compared to other beetles this means they look quite similar to earwigs and they can roll their back in the same way, also like a scorpion.

It's from the genus Ontholestes. I doubt its cingulatus as the tend to be yellower towards their end, their distinguishing feature is a yellow 'girdle' which can only be seen from the side. I have never heard of them in Ireland though.

I would be pretty confident in saying it is Ontholestes haroldi but I can't be sure of their distribution, I know they are present in Europe but I don't know about Ireland. Perhaps you found the first specimen!

Advertisement