Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transport for Ireland Bus Stops/Timetables

• 09-08-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

I noticed this week that the NTA put out the tender for the bus stop infrastructure that'll be put up nationwide. I had heard that fwdesign had been awarded the tender for the TFI branding guidelines that'll feature on the stops, timetables etc. These guys had done the Dublin City Council and JCDecaux wayfinding signing found across the city and I quite liked their work.

After a bit of googling I found a segment from the design document. I'm sure some of you's will be interested to have a peek. The image is taken from Jun Kwon at fwdesign Pinterest page.
    ouLhoFN.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Very impressive for sure....mind you It appears not to include a replacement for the Red Bus Tour's Human Bus-Stop at Clerys/Sackville Place in Dublin ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Very impressive for sure....mind you It appears not to include a replacement for the Red Bus Tour's Human Bus-Stop at Clerys/Sackville Place in Dublin ;)

Are stages gonna be marked?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

I love good clean design and this hits the mark for sure.

At long last we are moving away from the higgledy piggledy separate bus stop for every operator. It was not only unsightly but also a barrier to operators entering the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Very nice, nicely matches what they've done on the 828 bus stops. There are a couple of things I feel they could do better though
    • The street name is nice, but what happens on stops such as "Drumcondra Road, Dargle Road" which Dublin Bus announce as Dargle Road. Same thing happens with "Drumcondra Road, Botanic Avenue". It'll be interesting to see what they do with this one
    • It would be nice if there was a header above routes indicating their rough direction. So clump all the 25/a/b/26/66/a/b routes together under " Routes to Lucan and Maynooth", one for "routes to Blanchardstown etc." TfL do this and it looks nice. It's already sort of grouped with the different colours they have on their route maps.
    • There's not much indication of how commuter rail will be incorporated. I'd be all for making all commuter lines come under Dart and give them numbers. D1, D2 etc. "Western Suburban" isn't the most catchiest of names. It would give some cohesiveness: DART for trains, Luas for Luas and metro, and then Dublin Bus for buses. I also feel it could help the usage of the suburban lines and make them feel more "rapid transit" rather than slow old train lines. The general public probably wouldn't know, or care if it's electric or diesel, and they're all going to be a similar colour soon.
    That's just my 2 cents anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

As always, the unnecessary Irish translation in the topmost position clutters and confuses the overall view of the route map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

As always, the unnecessary Irish translation in the topmost position clutters and confuses the overall view of the route map.

Hardly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They look good, it'd be nice to see the full document.

Although I hate wading into the Irish langauge debate, the "Dun Laoghaire Dun Laoghaire" thing is completely unnecessary - the TSM provides that where the Irish and English are the same they shouldn't be duplicated so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be the same for public transport. Luas stops have this unnecessary duplication too - witness "Busaras Busaras" - it's already in Irish, for goodness sake!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PadelCreekMan

icdg wrote: »
    They look good, it'd be nice to see the full document.

Although I hate wading into the Irish langauge debate, the "Dun Laoghaire Dun Laoghaire" thing is completely unnecessary - the TSM provides that where the Irish and English are the same they shouldn't be duplicated so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be the same for public transport. Luas stops have this unnecessary duplication too - witness "Busaras Busaras" - it's already in Irish, for goodness sake!!!

For the few places, out of over 9,000 stops, that the duplication happens, I welcome finding out that the translation is the same.

Advertisement