Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss refused to pay me €20 overtime!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

osarusan wrote: »
    Loads of wannabe Donald Trumps on here, farcically trying to justify not paying overtime as a way of finding out the work ethic of the employee, or their level of investment in the business.

Plenty of Karl Marxes too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Plenty of Karl Marxes too. ;)
    How do you reckon? If anything, people expecting to get aid extra for working extra would strike me as a very capitalist mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

Just go into the shop and make a scene - he will soon pay up. If he calls the Garda then it will take them ages to arrive and you can leave the shop and make a scene outside and tell him to apply for a court order.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Like I say, its an indicator of mentality. I would hope that my employees will act in the businesses interests and they will be rewarded for that. I'd like to be secure that when I'm not there the staff will still work hard and will still make sure things run smoothly.

A good employee will have no problem hanging on an extra ten minutes when its needed, and it probably wouldn't even occur to them to submit an overtime form. That same mentality means that they will get stuck in when its needed, and that they will take care in their work.

In my experience the guy who sticks an overtime claim in for ten minutes work is less likely to see the business interests as important, he's only out for number one. Thats his right of course but its also my right to have the staff I want so as I said, that guy can jog on.
    In an ideal world for employers, employees will have the business interests at heart, but above all, they want to be rewarded for it in some way. In my own place, we reward those who are consistently showing the willingness to cover for those not able to come in on time and penalise those who take the proverbial piss when it comes to time keeping and work ethic.

In the OP's case, reward does not seem to be forthcoming. In his/her particular case where the OP seems to be repeatedly required to work 15 minutes extra per day to cover the late employee. This was done with the business interests at heart, but also with a view to earning a few quid at the end of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and my view is that the employer is taking advantage of the situation. If it was a one off, my thinking would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Talk about first world fcuking problems. 20 bleedin' euro like. If you're that tight then you fail at life.

• Advertisement

Talk about first world fcuking problems. 20 bleedin' euro like. If you're that tight then you fail at life.
    Are you referring to the employee, the employer, or both here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Billy86 wrote: »
    Are you referring to the employee, the employer, or both here?

Both.tbh. Personally, I'd have paid anyway if I owed it, and forgotten about it if I was owed it. It's €20, hardly make or break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Both.tbh. Personally, I'd have paid anyway if I owed it, and forgotten about it if I was owed it. It's €20, hardly make or break.

It's the principle. If an employee stole E20 from my till, i'd call the cops, no ifs, ands, or buts. If i asked them to stay late i'd pay them for their time, not bang on about "my business is more important than feeding your kids". A happy employee is a productive employee.
    There's a few posters on this thread that remind me of why i became self employed, and make me damn glad i did.

Satriale wrote: »
    It's the principle. If an employee stole E20 from my till, i'd call the cops, no ifs, ands, or buts. If i asked them to stay late i'd pay them for their time, not bang on about "my business is more important than feeding your kids". A happy employee is a productive employee.
    There's a few posters on this thread that remind me of why i became self employed, and make me damn glad i did.

BTW, I don't owe Mr Boobies the €20, that's another lad. Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FudgeBrownie

He sounds like a typical paki shopkeeper

You are a scumbag.

• Advertisement

That wasnt a go at you, apologies .

You are a scumbag.

I read that in Apu's voice, for some reason.

And apologies Satriale. It went off by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Never, ever, even in your wildest moment, start working for yourself. The shock would kill you.

I work for myself. Get paid for all work I do. I remain unshocked and undead. Go figure...

strobe wrote: »
    I work for myself. Get paid for all work I do. I remain unshocked and undead. Go figure...

I do too. Off the top of my head, i can think of at least €30,000 euro of work done that I haven't been paid for in the last two years alone, easily. From companies that went bust or just didn't pay. The amount of sheer, utter, total reality-disconnect on this thread is mad, tbh. Most businesses die on their ar5e from non-payers, it's endemic in Ireland. I suck it up as a part of doing business. As does pretty much every business I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

I do too. Off the top of my head, i can think of at least €30,000 euro of work done that I haven't been paid for in the last two years alone, easily. From companies that went bust or just didn't pay. The amount of sheer, utter, total reality-disconnect on this thread is mad, tbh. Most businesses die on their ar5e from non-payers, it's endemic in Ireland. I suck it up as a part of doing business. As does pretty much every business I know.
    I wouldn't say non-players, I'd say the public sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Because 20 euro is not worth a bad reference. You don't want a prospective employer to think you're anal about overtime. That's a bad attitude.

If that's all they charge they'll get a long just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

My best advice is to let it go. In the future references will be very important and will be thoroughly checked. No point in screwing things up for the sake of 20 quid.

shane9689 wrote: »
    aaaand this is why i don't ever want to end up in a 9-5 office job...so many bitter sihts that seem disillusioned with how crap it is and how its "expected"...its only expected because you accept it bending over....you made your bed etc etc.... OP **** the old boss over, you have evidence in those texts, get him to admit his wrong doing over text then use it in court...squeeze him back for every penny then move on
    What do you mean by that? Do you mean go to the police? Because they'd most likely tell me that it's a matter that I'd have to seek with my solicitor, which would cost a lot more than €20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What do you mean by that? Do you mean go to the police? Because they'd most likely tell me that it's a matter that I'd have to seek with my solicitor, which would cost a lot more than €20

Some people are just bitter about the business world, they think every little dispute needs to end in court, that every employee keeps a secret file on their boss in case they get abducted and that there is an ongoing cold war between the lowly shop staff and the captains of industry.

Ignore those types, you aren't going anywhere near a court and you know it. Instead just take a step back, judge the situation rationally and make a few decisions about your future, whether that be finding a better job or civilly negotiating with your boss for different pay and compensation.

Whatever about court, if you want your E20 back, make up a placard and stand outside the shop over his busiest times shouting "he doesnt pay his staff" . ("Careful now" is optional!).
    If you dont get results the satisfaction of annoying the miserable cnut will be worth every cent of the 20.

• Advertisement

It turns out, he paid for the 2 hours 30 mins, and the mistakes I initially pointed out. But to make up for that, he made new errors about my weekly hours in the final two payslips that I got since.

He deducted me for my breaks for the entire 7 week work period(summer job) off my final paycheck. I presume he had me think I was getting paid for breaks while I was there just to keep me happy. He made a mistake which deducted me for a week's break-time which I didn't work. So with that, and the other errors, he now owes me a total of €88.

I've been on to him about it via email, and he seems to be fudging it, over-complicating it, and arguing it a different way each time I prove that the figure come to €88. The latest email I got from him just seemed too complex. I'd actually have to sit down and give it quite some time to actually understand it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wall85

Op you covered a few 10 mins here and there and giving out about not been paid for it????

My god. I often do an extra 3 hours a week in my job and dont bitch and moan about it, well until now!

Oh god this is still going on... If I give you 88 euro will you shut up? I'm on social welfare for 2 years barley getting by, stuck without a house of my own because I can't afford rent on a decent place and no one will accept rent allowance, I've a partner and a baby to look after and I can't find a job to make things better for ourselves.. And you complain and bitch and moan about a few quid you're "owed" becuase you stayed behind for a few minutes extra each day.. Why don't you get over it and just grow up. You're being the most whiney narkey child like moan the likes you wouldn't even find on ranting and raving or the Joe Duffy Show, it makes me physcially sick to see you acting so bloody entitled, just get over it. fighting tooth and nail for a couple of quid, god just **** off.

I'll probably be banned for a little while but I actually don't care. You're just being a twat.

Mod:Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What does the unfortunate fact that you're unemployed have to do with the fact that her employer won't pay her the money she is owed for work done?

osarusan wrote: »
    What does the unfortunate fact that you're unemployed have to do with the fact that her employer won't pay her the money she is owed for work done?

Sitting waiting isn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bloody heck OP! Are you still going on about this? You put in a few 10 minute stints here and there. Overtime is working an hour nor more over your due time. Let it go. I certainly wouldn't want such a moaner working for me. People rarely go home at 5 on the dot or whatever time is the official quitting time. You have blown any chance of a reference stating anything but the bland bare necessities that perspective employers read as "avoid this person".

So you only miss out on pay if you show up a full hour late? That's news to me.

Bloody heck OP! Are you still going on about this? You put in a few 10 minute stints here and there. Overtime is working an hour nor more over your due time. Let it go. I certainly wouldn't want such a moaner working for me. People rarely go home at 5 on the dot or whatever time is the official quitting time. You have blown any chance of a reference stating anything but the bland bare necessities that perspective employers read as "avoid this person".
    It's not about the overtime issue any more for Christ's sake. Have you not read a thing I said

Snake wrote: »
    Oh god this is still going on... If I give you 88 euro will you shut up? I'm on social welfare for 2 years barley getting by, stuck without a house of my own because I can't afford rent on a decent place and no one will accept rent allowance, I've a partner and a baby to look after and I can't find a job to make things better for ourselves. You're being the most whiney narkey child like moan the likes you wouldn't even find on ranting and raving or the Joe Duffy Show, it makes me physcially sick to see you acting so bloody entitled, just get over it. fighting tooth and nail for a couple of quid, god just **** off.
    People in Africa have bigger problems than you... stop whinning! And by the sound of it, you can't afford to be giving away €88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

People in Africa have bigger problems than you... stop whinning! And by the sound of it, you can't afford to be giving away €88

He'll give his last cent to get you to shut up OP. The man is a legend and you have the power to fulfill his wish for free.

Advertisement