Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss refused to pay me €20 overtime!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The man is a legend
    I'm not convinced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

wall85 wrote: »
    Op you covered a few 10 mins here and there and giving out about not been paid for it????

My god. I often do an extra 3 hours a week in my job and dont bitch and moan about it, well until now!

more fool you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He'll give his last cent to get you to shut up OP. The man is a legend and you have the power to fulfill his wish for free.

What's your opinion on if an employee stole €88 out of the shop till? Just let it go, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Billy86 wrote: »
    What's your opinion on if an employee stole €88 out of the shop till? Just let it go, right?
    Instant dismissal and criminal charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Proper order.
    And when an employer dips into his workers pay packet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So when an employer steals €88 from an employee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not about the overtime issue any more for Christ's sake. Have you not read a thing I said

Unfortunately I have! The bottom line is you make a huge deal of this and the employer said fair enough and applied the letter of the law. Be careful what you wish for at times.

Billy86 wrote: »
    So when an employer steals €88 from an employee?
    well there's no camera to prove that one!

well there's no camera to prove that one!

wage slip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wall85

more fool you

Why, its the same with most big companies. You do an extra bit here and there!
    You look like a complete idiot if you brought it up!
    If you were meant to talk to a client at 4.45PM and he lets you know he can't get in contact with 5.15 and you were meant to finish at 5PM, you can't just walk out! Its part of the job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

There is a job that you can do for me that will earn you extra cash electric boobs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

If you were meant to talk to a client at 4.45PM and he lets you know he can't get in contact with 5.15 and you were meant to finish at 5PM, you can't just walk out! Its part of the job!

There's a difference between being paid a salary and hourly wage. He also agreed to pay overtime and told her/him to keep track of times.
    He is now thieving his employees wages.

There is a job that you can do for me that will earn you extra cash electric boobs,
    I'm male

looking to be paid for work done???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'll bet the employer is happy to be well rid of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm unsubbing from this thread because you're all going in circles. OP is an employee who's paid hourly, has worked hours they#re not getting paid for. It's not a salaried job, there is no progression or higher expectation, the boss is a pr*** taking advantage of OP because he knows he can easily get another hourly wage worker to abuse. There's not really any more to it then that.

the boss is a pr*** taking advantage of OP because he knows he can easily get another hourly wage worker to abuse. There's not really any more to it then that.
    oh, we'll see about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

No wonder the country is going to sh**te with the sort of wa***r employers we have,all they have is self interest at heart.

And the best excuse they have? That employees should be glad to have a minimum wage job thats paid hourly and should have no problem putting in a few hours a week unpaid.

And before any of these absolute t**ts reply im in a job where i receive a decent salary and have no problem doing a few extra hours unpaid when needed but im well rewarded for it. Unlike the OP. If you were a decent employer you would concentrate your ire on the employee that was late rather than picking on the guy who stays past his time to ensure your business runs smoothly.

These type of employers will suffer when things start to pick up in the economy and lower paid workers have more options in where they work,and i bet they will be the first people on here starting threads whingeing about not be able to get decent staff,t**ts imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Your previous employer was under no obligation to pay you for breaks unless it was written into your employment contract that you would be paid for breaks. Since he already reduced your final pay cheque to account for this I'm assuming this wasn't agreed in your contract. You were being fairly petty by chasing up such a small amount of money that was accumulated by adding up very small amounts of overtime. While you were perfectly entitled to chase this up, he is also perfectly entitled to respond pettily by deducting pay you should have never received in the first place.
    The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. If you work more than 6 hours you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time.

Taken from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html

• Advertisement

Yep, also expecting to hear from the complaints office of Musgraves tomorrow!

Musgraves, isn't that supervalu?

Surely they have more than one member of staff on the floor at all times?

EoinHef wrote: »
    No wonder the country is going to sh**te with the sort of wa***r employers we have,all they have is self interest at heart.

And the best excuse they have? That employees should be glad to have a minimum wage job thats paid hourly and should have no problem putting in a few hours a week unpaid.

And before any of these absolute t**ts reply im in a job where i receive a decent salary and have no problem doing a few extra hours unpaid when needed but im well rewarded for it. Unlike the OP. If you were a decent employer you would concentrate your ire on the employee that was late rather than picking on the guy who stays past his time to ensure your business runs smoothly.

These type of employers will suffer when things start to pick up in the economy and lower paid workers have more options in where they work,and i bet they will be the first people on here starting threads whingeing about not be able to get decent staff,t**ts imo!

my dad tried this on me the last 3 weeks, i was workign an extra half hour each day and no pay for it, but then somethign came up a couple of evenings and he wouldn't shut up about how i could take the time off and work it up with him again, no matter how many times i reminded him he still owed me time he was having none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Musgraves, isn't that supervalu?

Surely they have more than one member of staff on the floor at all times?

Musgrave's also run Centra. In small Centra shops it would be fairly common to see one member of staff front facing stock and/ or working behind the tills during the evening slot.

Cheers Cazzer, I didn't know that.

Advertisement