Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York

Options
  • 09-08-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi there, i got a great recommendation for a hotel here for london and was wondering if anybody would be able to recommend a hotel in New York, we are two ladies in our 50s who want to spend 150ish each a night on accommodation, want to be near lively places with good restaurants, cocktail bars
    etc. We are going in december so a hotel that is cosy, comfortable, nice bar etc. it is a birthday celebration so we are treating ourselves........thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

So you'd have a combined total of €300 a night? You'd have your relative pick of places in NYC. Any particular areas you might like to be based in? The neighbourhoods in Manhattan (where I assume you'll want to stay) have their own distinctive personalities!

I tend to stick to the West Side, most of the subway lines are there (the East side only has one line, the Lexington Ave), and I personally prefer the gay friendly neighbourhoods (Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

A little touristy though, no? I definitely don't want swarms of confused tourists right outside my hotel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Staying in Times Square will mean having to travel out of the area to find a decently priced restaurant or bar excepting just a couple of okay places. It's handy for Times Square but most people that I know who have visited New York and have stayed at TS wished afterwards that they had stayed in an area a little less mental.

The hotel is pretty decent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I dunno the Times square area is touristy because its the centre of touristy things to do.

And if its your first time visiting NY and you're a tourist I think its a fine area to be in. Centrally located, close to transport.

And reasonable hotel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, we have decided to stay in soho as ticks all the boxes for us, bars, restaurants etc and as some posters have said we wouldnt really want to be in the thick of the tourists. We think we might be able to stay in the crosby hotel in soho for a few days, then we go to a friends house and for the last few nights we will change district and might stay upper west or east side, get more of a flavour for the museums etc.

brookers wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions, we have decided to stay in soho as ticks all the boxes for us, bars, restaurants etc and as some posters have said we wouldnt really want to be in the thick of the tourists. We think we might be able to stay in the crosby hotel in soho for a few days, then we go to a friends house and for the last few nights we will change district and might stay upper west or east side, get more of a flavour for the museums etc.

Soho is amazing, so much stuff to do, tons of subway stations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Good choice. Times Square gives me a headache after more than an hour in it....its grand for first time visitors and kids but its too manic for me. A friend of mine was in NY last week and said all the construction work (They had just started when I was there in may) means the hoards of people of shuttled through narrow openings on the pavement. I think they are pedestrianising a large part of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement