Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebola

• 09-08-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I think a primary school would have a better disease spread prevention system then what we are witnessing .

Why are major nation ,repatriating infected victims!

Or is this another fear factor?

I don't believe governments are that stupid!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Harold Weiss

I suppose you could argue pharmaceutical companies stand to gain from a severe outbreak and of course, 1 or 2 companies in particular.

3 weeks ago Tekmira shares were approx. $10 each, now they're $23 because of their vaccine for Ebola which we don't even know is effective or not.

A 50% increase in share price on news of their vaccine.

BALnT0w.png

ZMapp which is a "secret serum" given to 2x American doctors have since recovered from Ebola so Mapp BioPharma would be another company that stands to profit from this outbreak.

Apparently some folks working for CDC own a patent on Ebola strains.

The Tekmira Ebola Trade May Already Be Over

Even though both TKM Ebola and ZMapp haven't been extensively tested on humans, they will be used on humans infected with Ebola anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

Even though both TKM Ebola and ZMapp haven't been extensively tested on humans, they will be used on humans infected with Ebola anyway.

How do you test a drug for humans without at some stage using it on them?

jh79 wrote: »
    How do you test a drug for humans without at some stage using it on them?

Generally, all vaccines are required to undergo trials to establish safety and efficacy before being licensed for manufacture and widespread use.

What we see here is a vaccine being approved for use on humans before it's even been established it works safely and effectively.

Nothing wrong with that...is there?

Generally, all vaccines are required to undergo trials to establish safety and efficacy before being licensed for manufacture and widespread use.

What we see here is a vaccine being approved for use on humans before it's even been established it works safely and effectively.

Nothing wrong with that...is there?

Under these circumstances no.

What do you propose, wait 5-10 years ?

Under these circumstances no.

What do you propose, wait 5-10 years ?

Obviously going to be tested now on these infected victims in Africa but there's no guarantee they'll work.

There was really little to no effort imposing travel restrictions on countries affected by the outbreak but now they want to sell them vaccines for Ebola that chances are don't even work.

Will you be taking the vaccine if it's free? :)

• Advertisement

Obviously going to be tested now on these infected victims in Africa but there's no guarantee they'll work.

There was really little to no effort imposing travel restrictions on countries affected by the outbreak but now they want to sell them vaccines for Ebola that chances are don't even work.

Will you be taking the vaccine if it's free? :)

If i was at risk , yes.

You would take your chances with the ebola if you were in an high risk area?

If i was at risk , yes.

You would take your chances with the ebola if you were in an high risk area?

It wouldn't have any chance of getting to Ireland if authorities imposed travel restrictions from affected areas until the outbreak was contained so if you ask me, TPTB are not taking the threat as seriously as media portrays it.

Why on earth are people surprised when outbreaks like this can't be contained while the authorities allow the free movement of people from affected areas?

Surely, prevention is better than cure when we don't even have a cure, no?

It's just asking for trouble but alas, we have the vaccine now so everything will be okay ....well, we don't know if it works yet or not but we have some test subjects in Africa who will try it out.

In the meantime, let's continue allowing free movement of people in and out of affected areas...great idea.

It wouldn't have any chance of getting to Ireland if authorities imposed travel restrictions from affected areas until the outbreak was contained so if you ask me, TPTB are not taking the threat as seriously as media portrays it.

Why on earth are people surprised when outbreaks like this can't be contained while the authorities allow the free movement of people from affected areas?

Surely, prevention is better than cure when we don't even have a cure, no?

It's just asking for trouble but alas, we have the vaccine now so everything will be okay ....well, we don't know if it works yet or not but we have some test subjects in Africa who will try it out.

In the meantime, let's continue allowing free movement of people in and out of affected areas...great idea.

Have the government s of the countries involved the ability / resources to restrict movement?

So would you be against the use of these drugs in the countries affected?

So would you be against the use of these drugs in the countries affected?

I never argued against deployment of anything that would help stop the spread of Ebola but there are plenty of other actions would help in the meantime.

Just simple steps like travel restrictions instead of travel advice. Isolating victims from exposure to the general public.

Authorities in most EU nations have merely advised against anyone traveling to affected areas but given the fact Ebola has no cure, anything less than a ban on traveling until the outbreak is brought under control would seem sensible.

Perhaps some think a ban is an overreaction?

If you're serious about stopping the spread of this virus that has no cure, a ban on travel to the affected areas for a limited time isn't that unreasonable to me.

Are authorities really that concerned about this virus? They don't appear to be when all they do is advise against traveling to affected areas.

Bear in mind, we don't know if these vaccines will even work so we shouldn't necessarily think everything will be okay.

• Advertisement

Zambia bans travellers from countries hit by Ebola virus
    "All delegates from any of the countries affected by Ebola virus disease are restricted from entering Zambia until further notice,"

Perfectly sensible to me for a virus that cannot be cured so why aren't the US and EU doing the same?

Zambia bans travellers from countries hit by Ebola virus

Perfectly sensible to me for a virus that cannot be cured so why aren't the US and EU doing the same?

How many of those affected or at risk could possibly afford to fly ? Poverty is a big factor here.

How many of those affected or at risk could possibly afford to fly ? Poverty is a big factor here.

Poverty might be a factor but there are plenty of health and charity volunteers in affected areas so it's only a matter of time before it reaches nations that have never had Ebola before.

According to WHO, a vaccine will be available in 2015 so you'll be able to take it along with your Flu vaccine ;)

Ebola vaccine won't be ready until 2015, says WHO

Unfortunately, we'll just have to wait for someone to arrive in Ireland with it because I would like to try out the vaccine just to see if it works or not. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Poverty might be a factor but there are plenty of health and charity volunteers in affected areas so it's only a matter of time before it reaches nations that have never had Ebola before.

According to WHO, a vaccine will be available in 2015 so you'll be able to take it along with your Flu vaccine ;)

Unfortunately, we'll just have to wait for someone to arrive in Ireland with it because I would like to try out the vaccine just to see if it works or not. :pac:
    I'l be right behind you buddy. Don't look for me, just trust i'l be behind you somewhere lol

Volunteers etc returning are being monitored and isolated from the general population and the virus needs exchange of bodily fluids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Will book a week on the Blasket Islands as a precaution :p

I've got the The Andromeda Strain, Outbreak, Twelve Monkeys and Contagion in a playlist, browsing army surplus sites for an NBC suit. ;)

quote="Harold Weiss;91662228"]I've got the The Andromeda Strain, Outbreak, Twelve Monkeys and Contagion in a playlist, browsing army surplus sites for an NBC suit. ;)[/quote]

Jude Law's character in Contagion was spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Volunteers etc returning are being monitored and isolated from the general population and the virus needs exchange of bodily fluids?

What about people that are not registered as volunteers workers who have left any of the countries before they showed symptoms

how bad is this going to get?

Ken Isaccs
    Ken Isaacs, Vice President of Programs and Government Relations for Samaritan's Purse, testified before the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee concerning Ebola in West Africa.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/article/ebola-crisis-in-west-africa/

“I don’t think it is just the United States,” Isaacs continued. “I think the international community has simply failed to recognize the seriousness of the disease, the magnitude of it and the lethality of it. They just haven’t got it, they haven’t seen it.”

“Our epidemiologists internally in our organization were predicting in April, ‘This is going to be a big deal, this is not a little deal this is not going to burn itself out.’ It is the first time it has been in West Africa" he said. "It is the first time it has been in three countries. It was on mainland ground transportation and it was moving into major metropolitan areas,” he said, noting that before the disease was in remote villages, when now it is in cities with millions of people."

“If you read the Ministry of Health status reports coming out every day from Libera, I don’t mean to be dramatic, but it has an atmosphere of ‘Apocalypse Now’ in it,” he said, referring to bodies lying in the street and gangs threatening to burn down hospitals.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/08/07/LIVE-House-Special-Hearing-On-Ebola-Crisis-In-Africa

Video
    http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4506065/kenney-isaacs

So what is the conspiracy?

• Advertisement

Did you read the first post? It's right there.

euroboom13 wrote: »
    I think a primary school would have a better disease spread prevention system then what we are witnessing .

Why are major nation ,repatriating infected victims!

Or is this another fear factor?

I don't believe governments are that stupid!

Because it requires the exchange of bodily fluids to spread making it easier to manage.

Because it requires the exchange of bodily fluids to spread making it easier to manage.

Are you suggesting it's okay for people with Ebola to travel freely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are you suggesting it's okay for people with Ebola to travel freely?

No it isn't ok. But lets have a bit of realism here. Any western health workers that are returning home from affected areas are carefully monitored for the disease. Also unless the disease is in its early stages chances are they would be too sick to travel. And I don't think its worth worrying about people who live in the affected communities travelling as they are mostly too poor.

The chances of this disease killing a more than a few people in a first world country are practically 0 for reasons that are obvious if you do a little bit of research.

MadYaker wrote: »
    No it isn't ok. But lets have a bit of realism here. Any western health workers that are returning home from affected areas are carefully monitored for the disease. Also unless the disease is in its early stages chances are they would be too sick to travel. And I don't think its worth worrying about people who live in the affected communities travelling as they are mostly too poor.

The chances of this disease killing a more than a few people in a first world country are practically 0 for reasons that are obvious if you do a little bit of research.

I already know all this.

Any other questions there, jh79 or are you happy now? :pac:

I already know all this.

Any other questions there, jh79 or are you happy now? :pac:

If you already know all this why do you believe there is a conspiracy behind the lack of a travel ban?

If you already know all this why do you believe there is a conspiracy behind the lack of a travel ban?

You've totally lost me.

I hate it when people think for me.

MadYaker wrote: »

If it can be done in a few clicks of a keyboard could you briefly tellme why this is so?
    I presumed it acted a fair bit like a flu virus.

Now, the wards are empty in the principal institution fighting the disease. Ebola stalks the city, claiming lives every day, but patients have fled the hospital’s long, narrow buildings, which sit silent and echoing in the fading light. Few people are taking any chances by coming here.

“Don’t touch the walls!” a Western medical technician yelled out. “Totally infected.”

Some Ebola patients still die at the hospital, perhaps four per day, in the tentlike temporary isolation ward at the back of the muddy grounds. But just as many, if not more, are dying in the city and neighboring villages, greatly increasing the risk of spreading the disease and undermining international efforts to halt the epidemic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/world/africa/dont-touch-the-walls-ebola-fears-infect-hospital.html?&_r=2

Strange statement for someone in the know to make then

• Advertisement

enno99 wrote: »
    Now, the wards are empty in the principal institution fighting the disease. Ebola stalks the city, claiming lives every day, but patients have fled the hospital’s long, narrow buildings, which sit silent and echoing in the fading light. Few people are taking any chances by coming here.

“Don’t touch the walls!” a Western medical technician yelled out. “Totally infected.”

Some Ebola patients still die at the hospital, perhaps four per day, in the tentlike temporary isolation ward at the back of the muddy grounds. But just as many, if not more, are dying in the city and neighboring villages, greatly increasing the risk of spreading the disease and undermining international efforts to halt the epidemic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/world/africa/dont-touch-the-walls-ebola-fears-infect-hospital.html?&_r=2

Strange statement for someone in the know to make then

The virus can survive in bodily fluid, for a few days, outside of the body such as on a wall, so not a strange statement at all.

The virus can survive in bodily fluid, for a few days, outside of the body such as on a wall, so not a strange statement at all.

your above statement seems to read its something like the HIV/AIDS virus where personal contact is needed to transmit the virus

Is it possible for a infected person to potentially infect a taxi /local bus/airport lounge seat etc

I dont know but if its a scare tactic to get people to take a vaccine It will certainly work
    And if they want to implant a RFID chip as proof you have been vaccinated ( so that you can cross borders enter public buildings etc ) along with it that will be ok too

Microchips Will Be Implanted Into Healthy People Sooner Than You Think

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microchips-implanted-healthy-people-sooner-152916800.html

your above statement seems to read its something like the HIV/AIDS virus where personal contact is needed to transmit the virus

Is it possible for a infected person to potentially infect a taxi /local bus/airport lounge seat etc

I dont know but if its a scare tactic to get people to take a vaccine It will certainly work
    And if they want to implant a RFID chip as proof you have been vaccinated ( so that you can cross borders enter public buildings etc ) along with it that will be ok too

Microchips Will Be Implanted Into Healthy People Sooner Than You Think

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microchips-implanted-healthy-people-sooner-152916800.html

Are you saying the authorities aren't doing enough to prevent its spread and are downplaying its seriousness by not imposing travel restrictions or that the threat is being exaggerated to dupe people into getting vaccines?

Are you saying the authorities aren't doing enough to prevent its spread and are downplaying its seriousness by not imposing travel restrictions
    or that the threat is being exaggerated to dupe people into getting vaccines?

As I said I dont know

As to the first part

Liberian dies in Morocco of Ebola - Internal Affairs Minister discloses

http://www.news.heritageliberia.net/index.php/inside-heritage/health/3583-liberian-dies-in-morocco-of-ebola-internal-affairs-minister-discloses

In another recent development, Morocco's health ministry has ruled out EVD in a Liberian traveler—a 44-year-old man--who died at the Casablanca airport on Jul 29, according to a Jul 31 machine-translated statement on the ministry Web site. It said the man died from a heart attack and was tested because he was from one of the EVD outbreak countries.

In an earlier media report, an official with Morocco's interior ministry said the man had an EVD infection.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2014/08/ebola-developments-trigger-cdcs-highest-response-level

Who to believe ?

The first statement could have been a mistake
    The second one could be to protect the tourism industry

Meanwhile, more than 10.5 million tourists visited Morocco last year – up 7 percent since 2012, according to AFP.

http://www.ibtimes.com/morocco-making-most-its-status-secure-tourist-destination-1556452

most holiday makers stay for 7 to 14 days Ebola symptoms might not show for up to 21 days
    the potential for the virus spreading worldwide is not that hard to imagine

What if

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The viruses that cause AIDS and Ebola, two deadly, contagious and highly feared diseases, spread through the body using the same mechanism, U.S.-based researchers said on Friday.

The researchers, led by Dr. Paul Bieniasz of the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center at New York's Rockefeller University, said they hoped their finding might lead to the discovery of new drugs to help treat HIV and Ebola infections.

To confirm the study findings, the researchers genetically engineered a hybrid of HIV and Ebola, and a hybrid of HIV and the Tsg101 protein.

http://rense.com/general17/aidsandEbola.htm

The field of HIV/AIDS research suffered a major setback with the announcement that over 100 of the world’s top researchers were among the 298 passengers of Malaysia Flight 17 shot down over Ukraine.

The researchers were traveling to the International AIDS Conference that begins Sunday in Melbourne, Australia.

One of the confirmed dead is Dr. Joep Lange, the executive scientific director of the Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development and well regarded as the top AIDS researcher in the world.

http://www.physiciansnews.com/2014/07/18/100-leading-aids-researchers-killed-on-flight-17/

Maybe the Ebola virus was deliberately unleashed to test the efficacy of the cure and the vaccine
    perhaps they took out a plane load of potential whistle blowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Are you saying the authorities aren't doing enough to prevent its spread and are downplaying its seriousness by not imposing travel restrictions or that the threat is being exaggerated to dupe people into getting vaccines?
    Like with Swine Flu, and Avian flu, the conspiracy theory will change with the news cycle.
    At first it will be a plot to spread the virus for some reason.
    Then, when measures are taken and the virus won't wipe out the planet as predicted, the conspiracy theory will change to be that They are going to enforce mandatory vaccinations or use the vaccinations as a cover for some other nefarious purpose.
    Then when that doesn't happen the conspiracy theory will be that the governments were scaremongering, but the conspiracy theorists knew that the whole time.

• Advertisement

King Mob wrote: »
    Like with Swine Flu, and Avian flu, the conspiracy theory will change with the news cycle.

I always admired that about Conspiracy theorists their ability to reevaluate their position when credible information comes to light

Where as others just like to stick to the official script and ignore anything that contradicts it

One Ebola drug tapped out after experimental doses

In the battle against the Ebola outbreak, the experimental treatment ZMapp had offered hope, but its manufacturer now says its supply has been exhausted.

While there's no approved treatment for Ebola, another company, Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR) is also working on a treatment called TKM-Ebola. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Thursday said it would modify an earlier halt on testing the treatment, allowing infected patients to receive the medication.

Tekmira didn't immediately respond to a request for information about how much of a supply it has on hand.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/one-ebola-drug-tapped-out-after-experimental-doses/

Tekmira Pharmaceuticals

Collaborators and Partners

Joint Project Manager Medical Countermeasure Systems (JPM-MCS) U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)

In 2010, Tekmira signed a $140-million contract with the DoD to advance an RNAi therapeutic, which utilized our LNP technology, to treat Ebola virus infection. In 2013, the collaboration was expanded to include significant advances in LNP formulation technology, including a new LNP formulation that was more potent, the ability to be able to lyophilize (freeze-dry) LNP formulations and an LNP formulation that can be administered

Monsanto Company

In 2014, Tekmira signed an Option Agreement with Monsanto, permitting Monsanto to obtain a license to use Tekmira's proprietary delivery technology. The companies' agreement and research collaboration will focus on the development of new innovative biological solutions for farmers, which have the potential to provide new options for sustainable pest, virus and weed control. The potential value of the transaction could reach up to $86.2 million following the successful completion of milestones.

http://www.tekmira.com/partners/partnerships.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Any disease that spreads on the world news ,country by country ,at a million times the speed of the actual disease, is doing more harm, globally, with its name ,than with its symptoms .

Ignore !till at your door(if its on your telly it most likely wont cause a trip to casualty,EVER )

If it's at your door, it's probably too late to domuch about it. Figuratively and literally.
    Certainly ignoring a virus or disease moving from country to country, is not going to stop it.
    Are you saying that if nobody did anything at all, it will just run its course and that there would be very minimal deaths or infections attributed to it?

If you didn't want it literally on your doorstep, you might want to protect your street. If you didn't want to have it on your street you might want to protect your town or city.
    As a country, should Ireland sit back and wait for someone else to fix it?
    Or it might be that because larger warring states are pulling resources out of Africa, they should foot the bill as recompense?
    I wouldn't fancy waiting on the fair choice to be made by those people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I always admired that about Conspiracy theorists their ability to reevaluate their position when credible information comes to light

Where as others just like to stick to the official script and ignore anything that contradicts it

That would be great, but as evidenced by the threads about swine flu, there was no credible information that came to light to supported any of claims at any stage.
    But still Conspiracy media pretended as if it had been making the one true claim all the time, then ignoring all of the claims made previously. Then at the same time make fun of the mainstream media for scaremongering and the sheeple for buying into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

here you go, folks...
    a priest which came back from Africa died in Spain.... ebola virus reached Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

I thought someone would suggest something like this about the vaccine...

"The cause of the sudden outbreak of terrorism is radical eco-terrorists, who are owners and employees of Horizon Corporation, a large and successful biotechnology firm. They engineer a modified version of the Ebola virus, nicknamed "Shiva"; they also engineer two vaccines: a phony "A" vaccine to covertly spread the Shiva virus; and an effective "B" vaccine to protect themselves"

http://rainbowsix.wikia.com/wiki/Rainbow_Six

here you go, folks...
    a priest which came back from Africa died in Spain.... ebola virus reached Europe

He was brought back from Africa with the Ebola virus to be treated, they knew he had it before they left Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

He was brought back from Africa with the Ebola virus to be treated, they knew he had it before they left Africa.
    ..well, guess how many came back to Europe infected but without any symptoms

..well, guess how many came back to Europe infected but without any symptoms

Between 2 and 21 days for symptoms to occurs so only 3 weeks of flights into Europe from the affected areas to consider.

So probably none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Torakx wrote: »
    If it's at your door, it's probably too late to domuch about it. Figuratively and literally.
    Certainly ignoring a virus or disease moving from country to country, is not going to stop it.
    Are you saying that if nobody did anything at all, it will just run its course and that there would be very minimal deaths or infections attributed to it?

If you didn't want it literally on your doorstep, you might want to protect your street. If you didn't want to have it on your street you might want to protect your town or city.
    As a country, should Ireland sit back and wait for someone else to fix it?
    Or it might be that because larger warring states are pulling resources out of Africa, they should foot the bill as recompense?
    I wouldn't fancy waiting on the fair choice to be made by those people!

I am afraid that if it reaches our shores it will be every man for himself, same as always here!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

In the late 1990s Tom Clancy wrote Rainbow Six in which a group of super rich eco fanatics come up with a diabolic plan to release a genetically modified ebola virus at the Sydney Olympics. Once the virus spreads they aim to go public with an supposed antidote which is designed to kill everyone on earth.
    In the end their compound in the Amazon jungle is surrounded and blown up and the survivors are stripped and left naked to die in the jungle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is a good start on the conspiracy theories angle ...:/

Video - "AFRICANS ACCUSE 'WESTERNERS' OF SPREADING EBOLA! U.S. PEACE CORPS REMOVES ALL VOLUNTEERS!"

2.4 minutes long...

http://m.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/183121/Africans_Accuse_Westerners_of_Spreading_Ebola_US_Peace_Corps_Removes_All_Volunteers/

Letter to the Irish Times doubting the HSE's ability to manage an Ebola outbreak.

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/ebola-and-the-hse-1.1894861

Watched bit of Contagion. The scene with Jude Law was very funny because he adds color to otherwise bland film.

Using social media for evidence (which the US state department does quite often). Inferring a connection between WHO and Pharma when WHO warned us we were on the precipice of doom in 2009 resulting in the purchase of swine flu vaccines that weren't even needed (Ireland spent €90 million alone)

There's plenty of evidence to show a revolving door between FDA and Pharma as it happens but you'd only presume it's nonsense without having spent an iota of time researching how lucrative the pharmaceutical industry is.

Believe it or not, pharma companies regularly manufacture and market drugs to make money. Most of the studies which show the efficacy of such drugs are funded by the industry...no, really...

I used to think they were in business to help people, like the tobacco and alcohol industry which kills millions every year.

Plenty of books have been written by pharma industry insiders so they can't all be crazy conspiracy theorists now, can they?

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement