Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebola

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

King Mob wrote: »

And what is the purpose of spreading the virus in the first place?

So we can all have X ray vision :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

jh79 wrote: »
    What is your obsession with garlic?, it has no proven medicinal properties at all , sure lots of cultures use garlic in crazy amounts in their food and it doesn't prevent them from viruses.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/garlic/ataglance.htm

That's not true. The link you posted even indicateds some of its benefits! An some cases it says studies point to benefits but clinical trials haven't been conducted yet!

Garlic does have medicinal properties. They do not use crazy amounts of garlic, they might use more garlic than you would use so it might seem like that, but not particularly large amounts. Rubbing a salad bowl with a clove of garlic would be the most some people would do, others might use a clove of it in some dishes. I've not seen any significant or crazy amount of garlic in any dish that's regularly cooked in any culture that I know of!

This explains the rocess that makes how allicin in grlic good for you, and that's why it is best to chop or crush raw garlic before you eat it. I leave it to sit there for a while before I eat it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090130154901.htm

euroboom13 wrote: »
    Measures to contain are laughable and reckless, and 24/7 coverage is reckless if not intentional.

Smart coverage isn`t being adhered too.

It makes you wonder alright

As for 24/7 coverage dont watch much news so cant tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

That's not true. The link you posted even indicateds some of its benefits! An some cases it says studies point to benefits but clinical trials haven't been conducted yet!

Garlic does have medicinal properties. They do not use crazy amounts of garlic, they might use more garlic than you would use so it might seem like that, but not particularly large amounts. Rubbing a salad bowl with a clove of garlic would be the most some people would do, others might use a clove of it in some dishes. I've not seen any significant or crazy amount of garlic in any dish that's regularly cooked in any culture that I know of!

This explains the rocess that makes how allicin in grlic good for you, and that's why it is best to chop or crush raw garlic before you eat it. I leave it to sit there for a while before I eat it.

The link I posted is for a research org whose aim is to promote natural remedies. That is the best spin they can put on the lack of evidence for any medicinal benefits from garlic. When the say "may" they mean no evidence. The clinical trial they ran showed no benefits using garlic.

The setting up of the research group has back fired massively on those involved, the clinical trials they fund on natural remedies routinely fail to show any effects. Have a read through their fact sheets makes an interesting read.

However, an NCCAM-funded study on the safety and effectiveness of three garlic preparations (fresh garlic, dried powdered garlic tablets, and aged garlic extract tablets) for lowering blood cholesterol levels found no effect.

A clinical trial on the long-term use of garlic supplements to prevent stomach cancer found no effect.

The two links you provided are not evidence that garlic in its natural state has medicinal properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

enno99 wrote: »
    It makes you wonder alright

As for 24/7 coverage dont watch much news so cant tell

General public are blind to the power of repeative news , if you start watching the news with an open mind , you start to question why they are putting all this effort into fear.it would make make you think why?

and as king mob defended with his life, that its for our benefit, is it, I seriously doubt it, and like you switch that voo doo stuff off...lol

The link I posted is for a research org whose aim is to promote natural remedies. That is the best spin they can put on the lack of evidence for any medicinal benefits from garlic. When the say "may" they mean no evidence. The clinical trial they ran showed no benefits using garlic.

The setting up of the research group has back fired massively on those involved, the clinical trials they fund on natural remedies routinely fail to show any effects. Have a read through their fact sheets makes an interesting read.

However, an NCCAM-funded study on the safety and effectiveness of three garlic preparations (fresh garlic, dried powdered garlic tablets, and aged garlic extract tablets) for lowering blood cholesterol levels found no effect.

A clinical trial on the long-term use of garlic supplements to prevent stomach cancer found no effect.

The two links you provided are not evidence that garlic in its natural state has medicinal properties.

The links I posted are about further investigation into the already accepted and proven fact that garlic has medicinal benefits. Specifically that it is powerfully antioxidant. I've no idea who the people in your link are but over the years I've read a number of books on this stuff and they provide the source of the results of the studies that prove the benefits of garlic. They're not mystical new age type books, in case you're wondering. SO, I'm confident in what I am saying, and will leave it at that.

Here's one I came across, with studies on garlic and different cancer types, mixed results, some seem to be very good,:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Prevention/garlic-and-cancer-prevention

The National Cancer Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, does not recommend any dietary supplement for the prevention of cancer, but recognizes garlic as one of several vegetables with potential anticancer properties. Because all garlic preparations are not the same, it is difficult to determine the exact amount of garlic that may be needed to reduce cancer risk. Furthermore, the active compounds present in garlic may lose their effectiveness with time, handling, and processing. The World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidelines for general health promotion for adults is a daily dose of 2 to 5 g of fresh garlic (approximately one clove), 0.4 to 1.2 g of dried garlic powder, 2 to 5 mg of garlic oil, 300 to 1,000 mg of garlic extract, or other formulations that are equal to 2 to 5 mg of allicin

The links I posted are about further investigation into the already accepted and proven fact that garlic has medicinal benefits. Specifically that it is powerfully antioxidant. I've no idea who the people in your link are but over the years I've read a number of books on this stuff and they provide the source of the results of the studies that prove the benefits of garlic. They're not mystical new age type books, in case you're wondering. SO, I'm confident in what I am saying, and will leave it at that.

That's not proof of the benefits of garlic, for one the benefits of antioxidants is still up for debate and two the links you provided show the benefits of allicin in-vitro only.

Can you link to a study showing the medicinal benefits of garlic?

You say it is a proven fact yet for some reason are hesitant to back that up with any studies??

That's not proof of the benefits of garlic, for one the benefits of antioxidants is still up for debate and two the links you provided show the benefits of allicin in-vitro only.

Can you link to a study showing the medicinal benefits of garlic?

You say it is a proven fact yet for some reason are hesitant to back that up with any studies??

Not remotely hesitant, unwilling to trawl the net over it though! it's beginning to feel like an argument about whether the grass is green, pointless. You stated garlic has no medicinal properties, you were wrong, I wanted to object to that and I have done so.

Here's one I came across, with studies on garlic and different cancer types, mixed results, some seem to be very good,:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Prevention/garlic-and-cancer-prevention

The National Cancer Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, does not recommend any dietary supplement for the prevention of cancer, but recognizes garlic as one of several vegetables with potential anticancer properties. Because all garlic preparations are not the same, it is difficult to determine the exact amount of garlic that may be needed to reduce cancer risk. Furthermore, the active compounds present in garlic may lose their effectiveness with time, handling, and processing. The World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidelines for general health promotion for adults is a daily dose of 2 to 5 g of fresh garlic (approximately one clove), 0.4 to 1.2 g of dried garlic powder, 2 to 5 mg of garlic oil, 300 to 1,000 mg of garlic extract, or other formulations that are equal to 2 to 5 mg of allicin

So to back up your claim that the medicinal benefits of garlic are fact and proven you provide a link that say it has potential??

• Advertisement

Not remotely hesitant, unwilling to trawl the net over it though! it's beginning to feel like an argument about whether the grass is green, pointless. You stated garlic has no medicinal properties, you were wrong, I wanted to object to that and I have done so.

Again what illness does it treat , in what quantity and by how much better than an alternative?

So to back up your claim that the medicinal benefits of garlic are fact and proven you provide a link that say it has potential??

Prove your claim which you so boldly made in the first place, when you said Garlic has NO medicinal benefits!

The link includes studies that showed drastic reductions in tumours for one thing, so you might consider readng it properly and having a think before demanding links faster than you can read through one.

Prove your claim which you so boldly made in the first place, when you said Garlic has NO medicinal benefits!

The link includes studies that showed drastic reductions in tumours for one thing, so you might consider readng it properly and having a think before demanding links faster than you can read through one.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/garlic/ataglance.htm

Your turn, some clinical trial of garlic in its natural state showing medicinal properties please?

You left a bit out;

What are the current issues and controversies surrounding the use of garlic in cancer prevention?

Study limitations, including the accuracy of reporting the amounts and frequency of garlic consumed, and the inability to compare data from studies that used different garlic products and amounts make an overall conclusion about garlic and cancer prevention extremely difficult. Since many of the studies looking at garlic use and cancer prevention have used multi-ingredient products, it is unclear whether garlic alone or in combination with other nutritional components may have the greatest effect.

Well-designed dietary studies in humans using predetermined amounts of garlic (intervention studies) are needed to determine potentially effective intakes. Studies directly comparing various garlic preparations are also needed.

Forgot this was the ebola thread so will leave it at that, there is another thread on the fraud that is natural remedies and complimentary medicines.

Kesselly Barracks Deserted

At least eight soldiers, among them two commissioned officers and two medical staff, have reportedly lost their lives to the deadly Ebola virus disease (EVD), the Daily Observer has reliably learnt.

Those victimized by the EVD have been identified as, Private (PVT) Calvin Sackie, Corporals (Cpls) Florson Louise, Fanbiman Samuel, and Private First Class (Pfc) Anthony Sheriff.

Others are Sergeant (Sgt) Kromah, who was assigned as the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) medic and another medic from the Ministry of National Defense (MOD) identified as Annitta Sackie.

The two commissioned officers victimized by the EVD were up to press time not named.

The deceased, according to our source, contracted Ebola recently at the Edward Binyan Kesseley (EBK) Barracks when a lady unsuspected of carrying the disease, visited one of the victims, Cpl Floson Louise.

http://www.liberianobserver.com/news/ebola-kills-8-soldiers

Ebola, AIDS Manufactured by Western Pharmaceuticals, US DoD?

SITES AROUND AFRICA, AND IN WEST AFRICA, HAVE OVER THE YEARS BEEN SET UP FOR TESTING EMERGING DISEASES, ESPECIALLY EBOLA

The World Health Organization (WHO) and several other UN Agencies have been implicated in selecting and enticing African countries to participate in the testing events, promoting vaccinations, but pursuing various testing regiments. The August 2, 2014 article, West Africa: What are US Biological Warfare Researchers Doing in the Ebola Zone? by Jon Rappoport of Global Research pinpoints the problem that is facing African governments

http://www.liberianobserver.com/security/ebola-aids-manufactured-western-pharmaceuticals-us-dod

UPDATE 2-UK to send troops, aircraft and ship to tackle Ebola in Sierra Leone

Oct 8 (Reuters) - Britain is sending extra troops, aircraft and a naval vessel to Sierra Leone to help stem the spread of the Ebola virus, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said following a meeting of the government's emergency response committee.

Prime Minster David Cameron chaired a meeting of the committee in an effort to assuage growing public concern about the spread of the deadly virus to Europe.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/08/health-ebola-britain-idUSL6N0S33O720141008

The U.S. military will send 3,000 troops to the heart of the Ebola outbreak in Liberia and devote air assets to delivering medical supplies and personnel as part of a stepped up effort to battle the epidemic that has claimed more than 2,100 lives in West Africa, the White House announced late Monday night.

U.S. Africa Command will coordinate the response that will be led by a general officer from U.S. Army Africa and will operate from a Joint Force Command to be set up in Monrovia, the Liberian capital. The general who will lead the effort was not named

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/09/16/us-sending-3000-troops-to-liberia-to-battle-ebola.html

How will they be welcomed if people believe what they read in the local press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

i

There is a thread here might interest you

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1028709/pg1

Thanks Enno. That is some useful info on Ebola.
    I guess the next step is to find out why the virus causes this immune system response.
    My own way to combat viruses and infection is firstly not feed them.
    Then use antivirals to kill off the population while it is still getting started.
    I guess if it gets past the flu stage of the Ebola virus, it's too late.
    But I am wondering if a low carb/sugar diet before getting the virus, combined with antivirals would be enough to combat the onset of Ebola.

To jh79 regarding my garlic obsession :)
    I don't know, it's just super usefull for somany things. It's saved me frominfections somany times over the last 5 years. Where normally I would have been put on antibiotics, which are the main reason I am so ill these days.
    In such a situation I think its natural to want to investigate and use this herb.

You can throw science at me all day, but if a process works I am probably going to default to that when no other option has proven tobe safer or better.

Last year I went to the dentist to get a bad tooth pulled. I wasn't allowed get it out until the infection was gone, sotheygave me a prescription for anti biotics. I used grape seed extract instead and Garlic stuffed into the tooth.
    The infection was killed off in 2 days and I had no pain in my tooth!
    Call it a placebo if you like. But if thatplacebohelps with this stuff i am happy to use it again and again to save my immune system being damaged more.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2263113/Will-50-cloves-garlic-kill-cold--just-love-life.html
    This article might highlight why there are not much in the way of scientific studies from authorities.

Torakx wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2263113/Will-50-cloves-garlic-kill-cold--just-love-life.html
    This article might highlight why there are not much in the way of scientific studies from authorities.

This argument holds no water, a huge amount of FDA approved patented pharma compounds are from natural sources.

The fact is natural products in their natural state rarely if ever have medicinal effects . Studies from NCAAM confirm this all the time (much to their disappointment).

Torakx wrote: »

To jh79 regarding my garlic obsession :)
    I don't know, it's just super usefull for somany things. It's saved me frominfections somany times over the last 5 years. Where normally I would have been put on antibiotics, which are the main reason I am so ill these days.
    In such a situation I think its natural to want to investigate and use this herb.

You can throw science at me all day, but if a process works I am probably going to default to that when no other option has proven tobe safer or better.

Last year I went to the dentist to get a bad tooth pulled. I wasn't allowed get it out until the infection was gone, sotheygave me a prescription for anti biotics. I used grape seed extract instead and Garlic stuffed into the tooth.
    The infection was killed off in 2 days and I had no pain in my tooth!
    Call it a placebo if you like. But if thatplacebohelps with this stuff i am happy to use it again and again to save my immune system being damaged more.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3721181/

So how does the above review tally with your theory that big pharmacy ignores natural products because they can't patent them ?

This argument holds no water, a huge amount of FDA approved patented pharma compounds are from natural sources.

The fact is natural products in their natural state rarely if ever have medicinal effects . Studies from NCAAM confirm this all the time (much to their disappointment).

Opium been used for thousands of years

Opium been used for thousands of years

Not in it's natural state?

• Advertisement

Not in it's natural state?

Opium is obtained from the opium poppy (papaver somniferum) by scraping the unripe seed capsule, and then collecting and drying the rubbery exudate. The name opium comes from the Greek opion, or poppy juice. It is important as a painkilling drug in its own right, but it is also the source of other analgesic drugs such as morphine and heroin.

Mankind had discovered the use of opium by the time of the earliest written records. In fact, the first recorded use of opium as a painkiller was around 6000 years ago by the Sumerians, and Babylonian and Egyptian writings contain many references to the value of opium preparations for the relief of pain.

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/mim/drugs/html/morphine_text.htm

It will relieve pain in its natural state

Opium is obtained from the opium poppy (papaver somniferum) by scraping the unripe seed capsule, and then collecting and drying the rubbery exudate. The name opium comes from the Greek opion, or poppy juice. It is important as a painkilling drug in its own right, but it is also the source of other analgesic drugs such as morphine and heroin.

Mankind had discovered the use of opium by the time of the earliest written records. In fact, the first recorded use of opium as a painkiller was around 6000 years ago by the Sumerians, and Babylonian and Egyptian writings contain many references to the value of opium preparations for the relief of pain.

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/mim/drugs/html/morphine_text.htm

It will relieve pain in its natural state

And led to the development of the opiate family of patented drugs, so you just proved that the idea that big pharma ignores natural remedies, because they can't patent them, is flawed.

And led to the development of the opiate family of patented drugs, so you just proved that the idea that big pharma ignores natural remedies, because they can't patent them, is flawed.

No Ive just shown you where the above statement is false

Nobody said they ignore them they just wont condone them until they can profit from them
    Whats the profit from painkillers ?

No Ive just shown you where the above statement is false

Nobody said they ignore them they just wont condone them until they can profit from them
    Whats the profit from painkillers ?

No you haven't "rarely if ever" I said.

Which do you think has greater efficacy natural opiates or big pharma produced opiates?

No you haven't "rarely if ever" I said.

Which do you think has greater efficacy natural opiates or big pharma produced opiates?

I apologize you did

Both will relieve pain whats your point

I apologize you did

Both will relieve pain whats your point

Natural products already have a place in medicine generally as a source for active compounds that can be extracted, mimicked synthetically or improved upon synthetically to give a consistent medicinal product.

This faddish return to old wives tails is not medicine .

Natural products already have a place in medicine generally as a source for active compounds that can be extracted, mimicked synthetically or improved upon synthetically to give a consistent medicinal product.

And on what basis do they start exploring these natural products

Do they look in to natural products that are known to have some healing properties

Not like an apple a day keeps the doctor away ok lets test apples

Do they look in to natural products that are known to have some healing properties

Well they can't be known to have healing powers when they haven't been tested.

Your apple a day analogy isn't too far off.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacognosy

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Thread disappoints. I've gone back through 3 pages (on mobile) and nothing about the Ebola virus and any conspiracy.

Garlic? Unless it repels the hoards of Ebola zombies as well as the more common undead I'll save it for the kitchen.

• Advertisement

Well they can't be known to have healing powers when they haven't been tested.

Your apple a day analogy isn't too far off.

I said healing properties

So basically its lets take an old wives tale tweak it a bit and see can we market it

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Thread disappoints. I've gone back through 3 pages (on mobile) and nothing about the Ebola virus and any conspiracy.

Garlic? Unless it repels the hoards of Ebola zombies as well as the more common undead I'll save it for the kitchen.

Whats your take on it ?

I said healing properties

So basically its lets take an old wives tale tweak it a bit and see can we market it

Tweak it a little bit? Turn it into actual effective medicine .

Healing properties is very vague, so not medicinal properties then? How do these properties differ?

Healing properties is very vague, so not medicinal properties then? How do these properties differ?

poster above is right its probably for another thread

Without the "tweaking" they have no medicinal benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

GetWithIt wrote: »

fair point, stay on topic please folks, or visit the food and drink forum.

Seán Sherlock

My visit took me to the front line of the Ebola response. At an Ebola Command Centre, I saw staff stretched to their limits, working to log new cases on simple white boards. They are struggling to keep track of this devastating epidemic with extremely rudimentary tools and systems.

I heard the frustration in the voices of the local community, left scared and hopeless by the time it is taking for sufferers to be diagnosed and for the bodies of victims to be removed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ebola-crisis-demands-a-stronger-more-co-ordinated-international-response-1.1958185

Cant think of anything to say

You are a fool, if you believe these few years of modern medicine have overruled the teachings of eons, my friend.

If you feed your children drugs, because you believe big pharma loves them like you do, you are a bigger fool.

And maybe you haven`t read what aspirin may have done to flu victims in 1918.If you did read something of it with an open mind you might not be charging ahead with big pharma.

You are reading too much self praising.

I am sure Irish water would like us to believe that rain water is harmful to us, and treated water improves us.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i apologies

jh79
    I was in no way personally calling you a fool.(you are very knowledgeable )

I was merely pointing out the dangers of excepting facts, just because it would seem validated by modern science.(like people to question all, not just unvalidated)

After reading it back I see how it might sound, and it was not my intention.

Thanks

Something not right about this
    watch the kid near the end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Something not right about this
    watch the kid near the end ?

Oh dear, I feel a CT coming, similar to that school shooting in America.
    It looked like he was joining in on an act.

I suppose going down Ct roads, it could be said that maybe this is a double duke. So people question the validity of the Virus and it's potential to kill in the west, in order to lower security and get it through.

Another is CNN possibly got caught once again faking footage tomake a story for a comglomerates cause. Like in Afghanistan when they really messed up the green screens? and set for sure pieces.
    But the story of the boy who cried wolf comes to mind again and again.

Anyone whom watches (cnn/sky) these reports and doesn't question, the intended opinion being formed ,doesn`t understand and never will, the power of media.

Don`t let news broadcasting define truth!

lets put this into the mix

enno99

This stuff is worth watching to get some opposite views , but it is two ends of the one stick. Find your own truth.

• Advertisement

euroboom13 wrote: »
    enno99

This stuff is worth watching to get some opposite views , but it is two ends of the one stick. Find your own truth.

Sure Im just trying to stimulate some kind of debate here

Keep it up ,good posts!

Ebola spreads in US: Second American case of deadly virus confirmed in tests on health care worker who treated Thomas Eric Duncan

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ebola-spreads-in-us-second-american-case-of-deadly-virus-confirmed-in-tests-on-health-care-worker-who-treated-thomas-eric-duncan-9789445.html

Health care workers in Spain and US using protection become infected

Yet no mention of the family/ friends who would have been in contact without protection

"Today we are asking Canadians living in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia to consider leaving by commercial means while they are still available," Ambrose said in Edmonton Friday.

The World Health Organization says these countries face ongoing outbreaks of Ebola and more cases of the deadly disease can be expected.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ebola-outbreak-canadians-in-3-west-african-countries-advised-to-leave-1.2795808

Not looking so good for these countries is it ?

The Hot Zone

The-Hot-Zone-9780385479561.jpg

I read this when it came out long time ago
    I cant remember it all now. I might read it again later

here is a pdf if any one wants to have a look
    http://learn.flvs.net/educator/common/EnglishIIv10/TheHotZone.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement