Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit question

Options
  • 09-08-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Single dad here to 2 kiddies , i understand the mother gets the money and thats grand

My ex is in €6000 + debt ( since before we met ) im worried she'll use the benefit over €5000 as we never needed it , its built up in an acc that she has ( i've no access to this account , but do i have a right to ask for access , not to be able to spend it etc but just to link the ac to my internet banking so i can just view it so i know its not being spent servicing her debt , she earns 65k a year and no control on spending

I just want to keep an eye on it so its used only on kids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

This answer is no I'm afraid. If its in her name then its effectively her money. The only way you could get access is with her permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Single dad here to 2 kiddies , i understand the mother gets the money and thats grand

My ex is in €6000 + debt ( since before we met ) im worried she'll use the benefit over €5000 as we never needed it , its built up in an acc that she has ( i've no access to this account , but do i have a right to ask for access , not to be able to spend it etc but just to link the ac to my internet banking so i can just view it so i know its not being spent servicing her debt , she earns 65k a year and no control on spending

I just want to keep an eye on it so its used only on kids
    If you have concerns about your children's welfare when they are with their mother, you should contact social services. CB is paid to the mother of the children if they live with her.If they are living with you then you should apply for C B in the normal way.
    CB that has already been paid out is of no concern to the Dept. Recipients don't have to produce receipts to prove that the money was spent on nappies etc.
    That would be very chaotic, don't you agree?

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If you have concerns about your children's welfare when they are with their mother, you should contact social services. CB is paid to the mother of the children if they live with her.If they are living with you then you should apply for C B in the normal way.
    CB that has already been paid out is of no concern to the Dept. Recipients don't have to produce receipts to prove that the money was spent on nappies etc.
    That would be very chaotic, don't you agree?

Social services, really? He has asked a question about finances, there is nothing there to suggest he has concerns about his children's welfare.

He also hasn't suggested the department should audit what child benefit is spent on.

What are you talking about? :)

Social services, really? He has asked a question about finances, there is nothing there to suggest he has concerns about his children's welfare.

He also hasn't suggested the department should audit what child benefit is spent on.

What are you talking about? :)

First of all, he's hoping that the CB money is spent on his kids, he also States that although she has a lot of income he has concerns about her ability to budget. If he's concerned about his kids being properly looked after, he should contact SS.
    IHow else would he be able to see what happens to the CB unless the Dept Social Protection let him know? And hiw would the Dept know unless they audit?That is exactly what he's asking!

First of all, he's hoping that the CB money is spent on his kids, he also States that although she has a lot of income he has concerns about her ability to budget. If he's concerned about his kids being properly looked after, he should contact SS.
    IHow else would he be able to see what happens to the CB unless the Dept Social Protection let him know? And hiw would the Dept know unless they audit?That is exactly what he's asking!

He has asked if he can get access to the ex's account. If he saw the transactions in that account it would give him an idea of how the money was being spent.

He has expressed no concerns whatsoever about his kids welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

SS are for serious concerns about a child being in danger, not a bureacracy to insure your ideals of parenting are being enforced and that the cb money is going on organic food for the kids. Seriously, get some perspective.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I dont know about any other families, but my child benefit goes on whatever needs paying on the days that I happen to have it. The rest of the month I'll buy nappies, milk, clothes, food, toys, treats, pay the creche with my salary or his. The child benefit goes into the family melting pot and we spend that pot on what needs it at that moment.

Child benefit is paid to the parent with the custody. If you have 50:50 custody then you could apply to have the CB split between you, and what you do with your portion is your business.

Unless you have a prior agreement with your ex, say, that you both agreed that the CB would be saved as a college fund, then you could ask her to add you to the account, but she does have the right, I imagine, to say no to your request.

Do you have an agreement drawn up for maintaining the children that would include what you both contribute and therefore include the CB in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Ive since found out she's gonna use the momey to pay off her credit card debt , i don't think its fair as i have a debt too but i can't use any of it on mine

Surely thats not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It might not be right but I don't think there's anything you can do to stop her unless she gets a guilty conscience.

I'd suggest talking to FLAC if you're concerned. They may be able to give you some advice.

Ive since found out she's gonna use the momey to pay off her credit card debt , i don't think its fair as i have a debt too but i can't use any of it on mine

Surely thats not right

That's quite a different issue to the one you initially presented.

The reality is though that it is her money. Its paid to her under her claim and is lodged in her bank account.

• Advertisement

What exactly is the problem with her using the money to psy off her debts? The CB for most families is absorbed into the monthly budget, the monthly budget for most families involves paying mortgages/rent credit cards, credit union loans bank loans etc.
    Maybe in some make believe planet the money is strictly set aside for day trips to the zoo or orthodontics but I don't know anybody who does that.
    Would the OP prefer that the CB be left sitting there while the children's mother get deeper into debt and maybe end up in court for having no tax and insurance or something?

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Maybe it's time to start using it. It's sitting in an account because it was "never needed". Well obviously that's a false economy, because while it was sitting there being not needed, you and your ex were getting further into debt.

The money should be used for whatever is needed. Food, heat, diesel, car insurance, car tax, bins, internet, electricity, childcare etc.. Kids use them all on a monthly basis. So why not use the money to contribute to the bills?

I don't think you can stop her using the money to clear her debt, she may well argue that the debt built up paying expenses for the children, or that she cant clear it enough because of continued spending on the children.

Your argument of wanting to make sure it was only spent on the kids is weakened by you then saying that it's not fair that she can use it for her debt, but you're in debt too.

I take it relations aren't good enough between you to be able to sit together and talk about it?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You may have had the luxury of setting it aside when you both were together, and believe me, it is a luxury to be able to do this, but now that you have split, there are two households to maintain, two lots of heating and electric bills, two grocery bills etc.

So she might need to dip into the savings if she has got the children things on her credit card, now you are not bringing your income home anymore. You mention that she has a good salary of €65k plus child benefit, but never mentioned what you pay for maintaining your children, assuming they live primarily with her?

I'd suggest if you cant work out a financial plan for your children amicably then do it with a mediator.

Advertisement