Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the things people write in adds for sale!

Options
  • 09-08-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

A bit of a light hearted thread this.

I like to look through adds for sale wanted etc.

What are some funny, stupid senseless and things that plain annoy you. and other descriptions that you have seen in horses\ponies for sale adds?

Recently I've seen big money been asked for green animals who have not been in work for over a year

Horses that are unable to be caught.

Bombproof ponies / horses that "lack of grass forces sale " however may consider a swap of something "quieter "

Also the thing that annoys me is the "overuse " of the term" eventer "
    Ok I understand there are different grades of eventer from ap riding club up to 3 n 4 * eventers
    But there's people selling horses termed as " eventers and in their video the horse has not the basic flatwork established.

I know with time the horse could progress but. If it has not been even schooled in the 3 disciplines I would not be calling it an eventer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I saw one recently, in the wanted section, basically a Connemara breeder looking for ponies with sweet itch, to swap only in return for healthy ponies!

The only thing I can think is that he supplies a country with a cold climate? And he gets good stock (albeit with sweet itch?) for bad quality stock??

Bit mental in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Rips wrote: »
    I saw one recently, in the wanted section, basically a Connemara breeder looking for ponies with sweet itch, to swap only in return for healthy ponies!

The only thing I can think is that he supplies a country with a cold climate? And he gets good stock (albeit with sweet itch?) for bad quality stock??

Bit mental in any case!

Oh god that's a first I've never seen that one!
    So by masking that the pony has sweet itch..
    Cash in the pocket.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

monflat wrote: »
    Oh god that's a first I've never seen that one!
    So by masking that the pony has sweet itch..
    Cash in the pocket.....

It really bothers me when people use quite instead of quiet... Grr

lyoness wrote: »
    It really bothers me when people use quite instead of quiet... Grr

No voices
    And screwbald. Is another!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

For Sale,
    Pony. 14.8hh. 10 years old. Walks beside you quietly. Will take treats out of your hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

sup_dude wrote: »
    Will take treats out of your hand.

Aka Will take the hand off you (and maybe your arm)....

convert wrote: »
    Aka Will take the hand off you (and maybe your arm)....

But a great beginners pony thou

Jumping a course of 1 10 - 120. But in photos the animal is only jumping 80 cm or less.

Just a point on the eventers in the OP though. We recently advised two young horses as eventers. They were only broke and weren't even jumping yet except loose. The reason they went up as eventers was because that's what they were bred to do. Both of them were out of mares who had a long line of eventers/show jumpers and their sires were both race horses, in order to get more speed than the mares. It would be the same as taking a colt out of Coolmore (okay, not to that standard but it's the same point) and selling it as a race horse. Yeah, it's only a foal and has never seen a track before, but that's what it's bred to do :)

Just a point on the eventers in the OP though. We recently advised two young horses as eventers. They were only broke and weren't even jumping yet except loose. The reason they went up as eventers was because that's what they were bred to do. Both of the were out of mares who had a long line of eventers/show jumpers and their sires were both race horses, in order to get more speed than the mares. It would be the same as taking a colt out of Coolmore (okay, not to that standard but it's the same point) and selling it as a race horse. Yeah, it's only a foal and has never seen a track before, but that's what it's bred to do :)

Oh yea I get you these are horses with breeding and have parentage history etc. With success

I suppose what I'm saying is the word eventer is bandied around a bit too much in my opinion and those selling real potential eventers may be brushed over etc.
    I suppose it's the buzzword at the moment where a horse is advertised as an eventer. But has spent 4 seasons hunting and hacking thats it....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Sellers who constantly use the words bomb and proof to describe horses,but particularly ponies, their is no such thing as bomb proof, very quiet and steady maybe, but theirs always something to spook a pony/horse whatever it might be, when I see a pony advertised as bombproof it bugs the **** out of me

Oh yea I get you these are horses with breeding and have parentage history etc. With success

I suppose what I'm saying is the word eventer is bandied around a bit too much in my opinion and those selling real potential eventers may be brushed over etc.
    I suppose it's the buzzword at the moment where a horse is advertised as an eventer. But has spent 4 seasons hunting and hacking thats it....

I saw a potential eventer for sale. Great on flat good serpentines and half halts

A half halt to that person is certainly not what I understand a half halt to be.
    So some sellers knowledge of what an eventer to be is just really chancing their arm

But sure I suppose that's nothing new

whupdedo wrote: »
    Sellers who constantly updated the words bomb and proof to describe horses,but particularly ponies, their is no such thing as bomb proof, very quiet and steady maybe, but theirs always something to spook a pony/horse whatever it might be, when I see a pony advertised as bombproof it bugs the **** out of me

Yes

Yep I agree here with u.

A woman who does a bit of teaching children near me offered me a pony for my children 2 + 4 yrs ( who are not really interested yet) I was asking her whathe pony was like.

Excellent great little thing has had loads of children on its back HOWEVER it does lash out with the hind legs at times but other than that it's bombproof

LIKE WTF. When I do purchase for my children more thought and effort will go into finding the perfect match .

Talk about a ticket to ruin a child's confidence

I remember years ago my parents enquired about a Grade B 14.2 SJ pony advertised in one of the papers, had done it all, etc. etc. etc. They were asking for at least 5,000 Ir punts - oh, but it was stopping 'at the moment', hence the reason it was only 5,000!!

I don't have experience in miniatures at all but cam someone explain to me how a miniature colt or stallion are ideal for children.?

Is itbecause people think they are cute and just buy them to keep on a patch of lawn.

Is it because they won't spend tuppence to get animal gelded?

I would not dream of letting my child near a colt or a stallion no matter what.
    They still have high levels of testosterone for their size like a 16 2 hh thoroughbred / sports horse would have in relation to their size

Am I wrong
    Would any one here purchase a stallion as a first pony for a child?

It would be very very risky but in saying that, there are quiet stallions. A yard I go to have a pony who was bought as a stallion years ago. He's not a miniature but he's about 10hh or so. When his owner bought him about 7 years ago, she didn't even realise he was a stallion for several months, as he was quieter than even some geldings. He had to get a vet at some stage for a vaccine or something, who informed her that he was still a stallion. The owner thought it was best to geld him then, just in case because he was bought for her kids. T'was a bad mistake in fairness, because he ballooned out and hasn't been anything less than obese since, despite our best efforts...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭fits

My neighbour did. It was great fun when my mare was in season and the stallion got in with my lot. He had a Massive fight with my gelding. Well I saw red that day I can tell you.

fits wrote: »
    My neighbour did. It was great fun when my mare was in season and the stallion got in with my lot. He had a Massive fight with my gelding. Well I saw red that day I can tell you.

Ye I think myself I would not risk it.
    I got landed with a rig once and I suppose his behaviours were something I would not like to see around children.

I got his bloods taken and he had 3 times the level of testosterone in his system than a stallion of his age and size.

So i think id maybe pass on the idea of a stallion as a child's pony.

Just thinking of another one I saw

A pony for sale
    Done it all pony club xc. Hunting etc.
    Lots of nice photos.

Contact me by text only outline what kind of a home you can offer this great pony and we will decide if you are good enough to own this brilliant pony.....

Needless to say I saw the pony advertised a lot more times and then on.the last add I saw that the " we will decide whether......
    Erased from add.

Like if you really love the pony that much that NO-ONE else would be good enough to look after it
    keep it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The "has done a bit of everything" with a set of photos obviously taken that day.

"Sad sale" = as a friend says " only for sale as child is still in a coma"

Thelwell had great cartoons on sales jargon.

• Advertisement

The "has done a bit of everything" with a set of photos obviously taken that day.

"Sad sale" = as a friend says " only for sale as child is still in a coma"

Thelwell had great cartoons on sales jargon.

Ye
    I've seen a few. Alright doing the rounds

Has done it all - bucked reared plunged napped!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hard to beat Thelwell!

I absolutely loved Thelwell as a kid, and unashamedly still love them now. I had loads of stationery, pens and stickers with pictures on them (I think I still have a few in my 'sticker box' at the back of my wardrobe. They were so brilliant I just couldn't part with them.

Scanning through Done Deal there and came across an ad that stuck out. Go into it and the spelling and grammar is desperate! In the midst of it, however, I could just make out the words "won king of the road last year".. yeah, that's a no then...

Also, what's with all the photos of people not wearing helmets?

Scanning through Done Deal there and came across an ad that stuck out. Go into it and the spelling and grammar is desperate! In the midst of it, however, I could just make out the words "won king of the road last year".. yeah, that's a no then...

Also, what's with all the photos of people not wearing helmets?

Ha ye I saw that one!

Yes plenty of no helmets.
    Are they trying to tell you the horse is so quiet I don't need my helmet.......??

Ha ye I saw that one!

Yes plenty of no helmets.
    Are they trying to tell you the horse is so quiet I don't need my helmet.......??

Didn't really like the look of the contraption around its legs, which is why I clicked into it in the first place!

I think that's the idea... to me, however, it screams "I have no idea what I am doing and don't have the experience with horses to know that even the quietest horse can trip up... but look at this one I just broke!" Yeah, no thanks. If you don't have the sense to wear a helmet, you don't have the sense to break a horse, in my opinion.

No helmet screams dodgy dealer to me. And what about "screwballs" and "piballs?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Screwballs
    Pieballs

"Had one foal by accident" (!)

I've seen this quite a bit lately Is the description of the horse for sale then " a nice person to have around or " a good person to work with "

Where has this come from!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I've seen this quite a bit lately Is the description of the horse for sale then " a nice person to have around or " a good person to work with "

Where has this come from!?

I think its come from the UK, but I do understand that one at least.
    Nice person =/= nice personality, but its probably come from a little bit of anthropomorphism, describing a horse who almost like a human, has a concept of manners and politeness :D

I probably wouldn't use it in an ad though!!

Advertisement