Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

time for a new battery?

• 09-08-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

left the keys in the ignition today and forgot about it:rolleyes:...battery is dead as a dodo.

I hooked it up to a 4amp charger for an hour but when I turn the ignition I hear a weird buzz from the battery area and its still totally dead.

I have a 1amp and 4 amp charger- anything I can do or is it gone? Checked cotters and its 200 for a new one:eek: . Can get it cheaper online but would rather not if I can avoid it. Any anthing I can do? Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Leave it on charge with the 1 amp charger for a few hrs, unless its the size of a car battery 4amps is way too much for a bike battery.
    Too many amps will knacker batteries very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

€200 for a battery? :eek:
    How old was the last one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

There is a recent thread on biker in the general chat section about batteries and the varying costs.

I think it was battery world that were cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Just because a battery has run down doesn't mean its fúcked, charge it up and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My missus got a battery for her Vitara from Battery World in Kimmage from a guy called Andy, who's also a biker. She couldn't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    My missus got a battery for her Vitara from Battery World in Kimmage from a guy called Andy, who's also a biker. She couldn't recommend them enough.
    Hmm, tell us more about this Andy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

cheers for the tips lads, jumped it and took it for a spin, then stuck it on a 1amp charge overnight. Seems ok, hopefully it will hold its charge. It's showing 9.8 volts while starting up which is ok I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

well... bad battery may destroy your starter... just saying
    check halfords if you need some ... i doubt that its gonna cost 200e... i think its gonna be around 65e mark... as i bought one recently for my yoke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Got mine in battery world for the harley, identical battery, half price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Saw my battery on batteryworld website..60 euro..are these chinese no brand batteries ? The size is about 15mm off too..guess I could wedge it in place with something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

As far as i know they are Yuasa brand batteries they sell.

I know a few people who bought batteries there with no issue and see them recommended online a good bit too.

I ran down my battery last Wednesday, by taking the keys out of the barrel and clicked to parking. So the parking lights were on as I spent 8 hrs in work (I'd say) Just needed a jump and it was fine. The battery was taking charge from the engine and all is grand. Sometimes you panic, as I was, but quite often its a simple fix

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Motorbike batteries degrade if you let them discharge all the way. Do it a good few times and they wont hold a full charge. Been through this on my ducati's. Battery world are great - recommended

Advertisement