Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much for sony to fix ps3 ylod?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My ps3 has ylod..has anyone any idea how much sony wud charge for fixing it if i sent it to them?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I want to say €88, but I think its a bit more. €100+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My ps3 has ylod..has anyone any idea how much sony wud charge for fixing it if i sent it to them?
    Cheers

€150 last time I heard from Sony.

Fix it yourself ..the Sony method is no more successful. just use a good hot heatgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

€150 last time I heard from Sony.

Fix it yourself ..the Sony method is no more successful. just use a good hot heatgun.

Thanks guys..i used the paste and heat gun.but no use.wondering if i sent to sony and they replaced the while inside how much would it be? Or wud it be cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one?

You should easily get a PS3 for about €100 off Adverts...less for a fat 80gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Guys, do not use heat gun to fix YLOD. Reflow is more complicated than it looks. For proper reflow you need BGA machine so you can control temperature. Reflow fix is not expensive but beware services where "technicians" fix YLOD's with heat gun in hand and they are charge same prices like technicians who are work on BGA machines. In my opinion heat gun fix should cost max 10e :)

• Advertisement

budman9 wrote: »
    Guys, do not use heat gun to fix YLOD. Reflow is more complicated than it looks. For proper reflow you need BGA machine so you can control temperature. Reflow fix is not expensive but beware services where "technicians" fix YLOD's with heat gun in hand and they are charge same prices like technicians who are work on BGA machines. In my opinion heat gun fix should cost max 10e :)

:rolleyes:

I have done loads of PS3's with a gun. I know quite well that a BGA reflow machine is the best method...but who the hell has one that does PS3's at a reasonable rate ?.

And... even if the PS3 is done with a BGA ,the warranty is still only good for 3 months . The problem with the PS3 is that the lead free solder used is too brittle ,it cracks with constant temp increases and decreases ,it is a major problem with lead free solder. The only true proper way to fix a ylod is to remove all the lead free solder and replace it with good ole lead solder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY1x8kcYAPI

I have done loads of PS3's that have lasted over a year...and some that lasted a week (a hardcore dude that played it 24/7 on his carpet :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stormpiper

I am aware this is an older thread, but I was wondering if Sony do the lead reballing? And if not, does anyone know anywhere in Ireland that does? My PS3 is dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭doney84

stormpiper wrote: »
    I am aware this is an older thread, but I was wondering if Sony do the lead reballing? And if not, does anyone know anywhere in Ireland that does? My PS3 is dead :(

I've used this method on a few PS3's with various success. All started working again, some lasted a week or two & others lasted a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stormpiper

I've had it reflowed. It lasted for less than a month and I only used it twice. On a side note, Console Repairs suck and the guy I was dealing with was beyond ignorant. And he broke the lid. I need it reballed as I'm not willing to waste any more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dellWlan

Countless stories of reballing or reflowing not being reliable so not wanting to waste money is a PS3 with ylod worth anything to anyone? Even free could someone make use of it or should I just bin it?

• Advertisement

dellWlan wrote: »
    Countless stories of reballing or reflowing not being reliable so not wanting to waste money is a PS3 with ylod worth anything to anyone? Even free could someone make use of it or should I just bin it?

Its an easy fix... Put it up on Adverts for €29 ...someone will want it.

Advertisement