Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times - save me your sanctimonious claptrap

• 09-08-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am talking about this weekends "expose" on Direct Provision.

Who do they think they are?

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt to partially pay for an ever diminishing health service, cockeyed politicians and civil servants and an absolutely absurd welfare state. I could go on about impending water charges, house hold taxes and the myriad of other stealth taxes but I'll leave it there.

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage.

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times. Not only should I be squeezed dry Monday to Friday by the irrepressible state, Saturday morning is time for emotional bombardment and an exercise in self shaming by the Irish Times.

They feel that not only should we fund our indigenous lay abouts to the extent that any job paying under 40k a year is simply not worth considering for the head of a family but now we must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state.

Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care about Direct Provision or the people "trapped" in this system. A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS. Give them a choice, a plane back to where they came from or Direct provision, I know which answer I'd be betting my savings on.

Next week perhaps do a "Weekender" on how to pay as little tax as possible and avoid self-shaming leftist propaganda from arts graduates who have never lived a day in the real world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Robroy36 wrote: »
    I am talking about this weekends "expose" on Direct Provision.

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt to partially pay for an ever diminishing health service, cockeyed politicians and civil servants and an absolutely absurd welfare state. I could go on about impending water charges, house hold taxes and the myriad of other stealth taxes but I'll leave it there.

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage.

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times. Not only should I be squeezed dry Monday to Friday by the irrepressible state, Saturday morning is time for emotional bombardment and an exercise in self shaming by the Irish Times.

They feel that not only should we fund our indigenous lay abouts to the extent that any job paying under 40k a year is simply not worth considering for the head of a family but now we must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state.

Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care about Direct Provision or the people "trapped" in this system. A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS. Give them a choice, a plane back to where they came from or Direct provision, I know which answer I'd be betting my savings on.

Next week perhaps do a "Weekender" on how to pay as little tax as possible and avoid self-shaming leftist propaganda from arts graduates who have never lived a day in the real world.

Are you taking the piss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It must be exhausting trying to find stuff to keep yourself that angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is why Ireland thinks the Indo isn't right wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss?

Nodin, I have already have had to have words with you in one of my other threads. I don't like your tone one bit. Either stay constructive or jog on. Your choice.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

A bit of perspective: they are better off in Mosney than they are being shelled by the IDF or beheaded by ISIS.
    I disagree with a lot of what you say, but the above is true.

These individuals are not economic migrants. Theyt are people who claim to be fleeing life-threatening situations, torture, and extreme human rights violations.

Asylum is not a picnic. Asylum and subsidiary protection applications are emergencies which should be processed quickly. Some of the applications are genuine, but an enormous amount are farcically inconsistent and baseless. These are clogging up the system for everyone else.

Anyone who thinks you should be allowed work in Ireland and given comfortable, long-term accommodation just by showing up and making spurious claims is living with their head in the clouds. Or probably has an office on Tara Street. The system would come under even greater pressure if it were that easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

So much bitterness in one post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Trivial things that annoy thread maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Here's a good idea - Don't read the Irish Times.

I hope I never lose empathy for my fellow human beings

Trivial things that annoy thread maybe?

Slightly off topic, but how much tax did you pay last year?

Was it a trivial amount?

• Advertisement

How do you know there are "Marxists" in the Irish times?

Where is the link showing the statement about 40k etc?

Could we also see where they say we "must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At least not while you're wearing your monocle, hard to get quality replacements these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Bambi wrote: »
    At least not while you're wearing your monocle, hard to get quality replacements these days

Pfft, just get a medical card and they'll give them to you for free.

Life's a picnic people, life's a picnic.

Irish Daily Mail (sic) more your style OP, stick with it, or the Indo and the crippled middle classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

So we have done an Irish Indo thread now an Irish times one. What is next the Irish Examiner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Maybe you should buy The Daily Star from now on

How do you know there are "Marxists" in the Irish times?

Where is the link showing the statement about 40k etc?

Could we also see where they say we "must open our borders to the rest of the world to encamp here a leech off the state."?

Nodin, I am going to ignore every post you make in this thread.

Thanks for any input though, it is most appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

jjbrien wrote: »
    So we have done an Irish Indo thread now an Irish times one. What is next the Irish Examiner?

That would just be trivial, The Farmers Journal maybe?

Why is that? They're fairly straightforward questions based on your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think it's fu(king awesome that people fleeing persecution, both physical threats and economic come to Ireland. Jeez we give out like hell about our little patch, but compared to most of the world... We should do all we can for our fellow man.
    Let me be perfectly clear. I do not care..

I hope someday you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Say no to Brazilian beef and Thai chicken :mad:

The week that's in it we'll say no to Israeli potatoes too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's not a great start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

maybe after hours hasnt had a go at the farmers in a while lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

But... but, that Pamela one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Why don't you start a thread on the costs covering uninsured drivers which are about the same as the costs of Direct Provision? Now that would be interesting...

Magaggie wrote: »
    But... but, that Pamela one.

She did an FHM recently though? She's grand :cool:

c_man wrote: »
    I think it's fu(king awesome that people fleeing persecution, both physical threats and economic come to Ireland.

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them. Next up, negative and positive magnets in attraction shocker!!!

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

I want Direct Provision maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

c_man wrote: »
    She did an FHM recently though? She's grand :cool:

Wasn't it FGM that she said she was having issues with? Can't remember now?

Shenshen wrote: »
    Wasn't it FGM that she said she was having issues with? Can't remember now?

Yer man out of Motley Crue I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Slightly off topic, but how much tax did you pay last year?

Was it a trivial amount?

How much tax did you pay?

Lets say you are a married man with a stay-at home wife, earning €100,000 per year.

Direct provision cost you €33 last year.

It is 0.09% of total revenue. I am excluding borrowings, so probably overstating the amount it costs current taxpayers.

I agree that direct provision is an appropriate way of dealing with emergency applications for international protection, but lets keep some perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them. Next up, negative and positive magnets in attraction shocker!!!

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

Do you even know what direct provision means? You don't want to pay (which I take to mean 'leave my tax alone'), but you want it maintained (meaning keep paying the 19 euro etc? Can you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Who is paying for this?

I do not want to pay.

Is this really about the Irish Times?

Anyway, if a newspaper, any newspaper gets you that worked up, maybe try a different one. For the sake of your own health.

Pretty predictable: give people free everything and more people will follow them.

Ireland 2030, population ~3 billion. The country is a complete urbanised landscape, massive city-blocks the likes of which described in Judge Dredd now cover the horizon :cool:
    Who is paying for this?

Most people given the chance opt to work and earn. There's a reason emigrants the world over are known are hard workers.

Besides let's be honest, there's plenty of money and resources for all this. But the economic system to achieve this... well, you're going to label me something aren't you if I allude to how? Nah, the billions are better spent providing a welfare net for our banks and financial industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Are you taking the piss?
    Nodin, I have already have had to have words with you in one of my other threads. I don't like your tone one bit. Either stay constructive or jog on. Your choice.

Thanks in advance.

+1..
    The op put a lot of thought and genuine 'anger' into this thread, and to me his first post is 'on the mark'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

That's why I read the Independent.

(This is bait, potentially :D )

• Advertisement

ardle1 wrote: »
    +1..
    The op put a lot of thought and genuine 'anger' into this thread, and to me his first post is 'on the mark'!

Bit strange he can't answer questions on it. Even stranger that the article on the times does not say what he claims, nor does there seem to be an editorial along that line. True, his post is on the mark if you share a certain xenophobic resentment to those who have come here seeking asylum and have absolutely zero concern for their well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Did you read this online OP?

As an Irish times subscription holder I was left trembling with rage at having to fund indigenous readabouts wanting a handout from my hard earned subscription.

I work hard all week, long hours, get taxed to the hilt and I have to put up with emotional bombardment from posters on boards.ie as well!

Well I've had enough of supporting these freeloaders. If it was up to me I'd send them to Iraq or Italy or any of them sh**ty countries.

I bet you even have adblocker on too - pay your way, marxists have to pay the mortgage too you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

The above is not fine. It is not just and at times it makes me tremble with rage

They are representative of you and of Ireland. Whatever you do, you are no better than they are. If you were better, you would be in one of those positions showing leadership, excellence, creativity, and improving the situation. But I'm guessng you are not.

That's why I read the Independent.

(This is bait, potentially :D )

That's why I read it too, they don't give a f*ck about anybody :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

stmol32 wrote: »
    That's why I read it too, they don't give a f*ck about anybody :pac:

Nice crossword too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The IT have every right to print some article sympathetically focusing on the plight of the people in mosney,sheeet,a lot of the IT readership might actually swallow some of it too, but the folks that hold the purse strings know that the Daily dramas of the mosneyites is way,way down the list of things taxpayers/voters want looked at right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So in summary, refugees living in miserable conditions have it good because they don't have to pay taxes or get blown up by the IDF.

crockholm wrote: »
    The IT have every right to print some article sympathetically focusing on the plight of the people in mosney,sheeet,a lot of the IT readership might actually swallow some of it too, but the folks that hold the purse strings know that the Daily dramas of the mosneyites is way,way down the list of things taxpayers/voters want looked at right now.

It's about direct provision generally, not Mosney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 selfstarter

No.Don't "Buy" the Irish Times"

stmol32 wrote: »
    I especially like that comedy columnist they have - the joke is he knows he's the last catholic in the country but he pretends to be really angry that we've all left his club!!

Feckin' hilarious or Totes Hilares (I learned that phrase from the Sunday Independent womens bit and now I hate myself)

He's gone to the Indo now.

Nice crossword too

I especially like that comedy columnist they have - the joke is he knows he's the last catholic in the country but he pretends to be really angry that we've all left his club!!

Feckin' hilarious or Totes Hilares (I learned that phrase from the Sunday Independent womens bit and now I hate myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Wow, grumpy.

He's gone to the Indo now.

Sorry Nodin I meant to quote a poster I was answering so I deleted and reposted, d'jeknowhat it'll all make sense if anyone can be arsed to re-read :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

This morning I was left trembling with rage by the Marxists in the Irish Times.

Some interesting points here. But is there a soviet in Westmoreland Street? Who are these Marxists? Name them and shame them. Better still, bring in the special branch to deal with them. No point in understating the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

OP is clearly an 'Irish' Daily Mail man who's picked up the wrong paper. The old DM is ideal for those who love a baseless moan while lacking appreciation for what they have, and seeing fit to knock those less fortunate than themselves. You'll love there it there RobRoy. Especially the comments section.

• Advertisement
Advertisement