Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell St. bucket 'drummer'

Options
  • 09-08-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this guy hanging around Tesco in the evenings?

He started out with a few buckets and pots, but has now 'graduated' to slapping a guitar with a stick.

Is it just me that thinks he's absolutely rubbish?

Granted I'm no expert, and can't play an instrument, and peoples taste in music is subjective, but is there any chance we can trick him to get on a bus to a different town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

rizzodun wrote: »

He started out with a few buckets and pots, but has now 'graduated' to slapping a guitar with a stick.

Granted I'm no expert, and can't play an instrument, and peoples taste in music is subjective, but is there any chance we can trick him to get on a bus to a different town?

i'll turn off the lights you throw him in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

He couldn't be any worse than Westlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Have they resorted to busking for spare change on street corners as well?

Hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

heard he gets the bus in from boyle or somewhere and does a few days in the town crashing on people's couches. talented he's not. doing no harm either I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

promethius wrote: »
    heard he gets the bus in from boyle or somewhere and does a few days in the town crashing on people's couches. talented he's not. doing no harm either I suppose

Ah to be fair the worst he's doing is insulting my hearing, I'd wonder if he thinks he's better than he is or just sitting there banging away thinking "I can't believe people throw (small amounts of) money for this!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He's a nice lad. He's going to make a fortune this week and fair play to him, if people want to give him cash hes right to take it!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    He's a nice lad. He's going to make a fortune this week and fair play to him, if people want to give him cash hes right to take it!

I'm sure he's a nice fella, it's just his very crap (in my humble opinion) drumming that's annoying. Is Ireland one of those countries though where people will throw money at a busker, just because they're a busker, even if they aren't that good?

I know it's probably a pointless rant of sorts just wondering if anyone had the same opinion, he's harmless, better that than posting about another guy in town causing trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I think people give him money cause its an original idea that they haven't seen before. Problem is Sligo is small so we've all seen him a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hopefully he does well this week and is able to save up for a new biscuit tin for his collection ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

promethius wrote: »
    heard he gets the bus in from boyle or somewhere

He's from Dromahair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

He reminds me of a song from 'my' youth.

She came from Greece she had a thirst for knowledge
    She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College, that's where I... caught her eye
    She told me that her Dad was loaded
    I said in that case I'll have a rum and coke-cola
    She said fine... and in thirty seconds time she said, I want to live like...

(Am I being mean?)

Constructive criticism: "slow it down, vary the pace a little, a gentle rise-and-fall in both tempo and stick velocity would be nice (I think it's called 'swing') - then you'll be able to play longer without stopping"

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

rizzodun wrote: »

fair play to him doing what he's interested in and what he wants to do, better than most of the scum about sligo on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Carson10 wrote: »
    fair play to him doing what he's interested in and what he wants to do, better than most of the scum about sligo on the dole.

Yet another sweeping generalist statement. Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MonoRunner

Carson10 wrote: »

To Make such a discriminatory statement about people on the dol is ridiculous. I hope (assuming you aren't already) that you are never forced to live on social welfare and have such prejudice thrown at you. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hey that's a bit low......................nobody said he was that bad...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Constructive criticism: "slow it down, vary the pace a little, a gentle rise-and-fall in both tempo and stick velocity would be nice (I think it's called 'swing') - then you'll be able to play longer without stopping"

What you are talking about is dynamics. This gentleman lacks a dynamic range, light and shade, accents and soft strokes. Not necessarily going to let you play for longer periods of time, but will make you sound more interesting and educated. Swing is when the drummer plays the shuffle rhythm.

What you are talking about is dynamics. This gentleman lacks a dynamic range, light and shade, accents and soft strokes. Not necessarily going to let you play for longer periods of time, but will make you sound more interesting and educated. Swing is when the drummer plays the shuffle rhythm.

Don't tell us that, tell him, I'm sure he'd welcome the advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dan601

YouTube:
    watch?v=BQ8llC2IK3Y
    Found him

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

I like it.

Is it a cover of something or an original composition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

• Advertisement
Advertisement