Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought Camera off Argos

Options
  • 10-08-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

So I bought a camera from argos and some of ye might know that argos does not give refunds on the cameras.
    But when I got it and went home.
    I opened it up and to my realisation the packaging was a whole mess.
    There was creases on the box aswell ad marks.
    Now it just so happens that I might sell it on later or give as a gift to one of my family members, but in the boxes state they will think as if it been for years

What is my right ?
    Am I able to return it ?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

If the camera isn't faulty, then you can't return it for a refund (Argos policy).

If you're going to sell it/give it away, it's going to be second hand anyway, is the condition of the packaging that important?

Either way, I don't think 'bad packaging' is a reason you can return it for a full refund.

I'm curious though, how bad was the packaging? Is it possible the camera was taken out of the box in the store to show someone and just badly repacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Nah man its still quite ad like.
    I paid quite a decent money and I should not be getting this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The packaging is mostly there to protect the camera from knocks and scrapes and being wedged between other stock while in shops on shelves etc so it has done its job. You bought the camera new and presumably the box was sealed so as long as everything works you have no reason to return the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Did you take those with your new camera? Argos are grand, if you really have an issue with the box bring it back with your receipt and they will exchange it. They are very easy to deal with, just explain you bought it as a present and they will swap. You don't have the law on your side but they are usually fantastic to deal with.

If your using the camera yourself something like this wouldn't bother me but each to their own. Although if I was buying a second hand camera from you I'd be checking the product not the box

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So I bought a camera from argos and some of ye might know that argos does not give refunds on the cameras.

This is their policy on cameras ...

To protect your personal security, we're also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

Note that it refers to 'non-faulty' products. What they're effectively saying is that cameras are excluded from the 30 day 'no quibble' return policy.

They can't deny you your legal rights if the product is faulty but bumps and scratches on the packaging wouldn't necessarily allow you to return the goods since in the normal course of events the packaging is discarded within minutes of the recipient opening the goods.
    But when I got it and went home.
    I opened it up and to my realisation the packaging was a whole mess.
    There was creases on the box aswell ad marks.

All of the photos you've posted show external marks on the packaging, did you not notice these when you were handed the item in the Argos store? Why are you claiming that you only noticed this when you 'opened it up'?

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Did you take those with your new camera? Argos are grand, if you really have an issue with the box bring it back with your receipt and they will exchange it. They are very easy to deal with, just explain you bought it as a present and they will swap. You don't have the law on your side but they are usually fantastic to deal with.

If your using the camera yourself something like this wouldn't bother me but each to their own. Although if I was buying a second hand camera from you I'd be checking the product not the box

No the pics were taken from mobile.
    In real fairness I am trying to get a full refund of my money.
    As I found a cheaper one elsewhere.
    So I will try to speak with them and see what they say although I think my chances are slim.

coylemj wrote: »
    This is their policy on cameras ...

To protect your personal security, we're also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.

http://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

Note that it refers to 'non-faulty' products. What they're effectively saying is that cameras are excluded from the 30 day 'no quibble' return policy.

They can't deny you your legal rights if the product is faulty but bumps and scratches on the packaging wouldn't necessarily allow you to return the goods since in the normal course of events the packaging is discarded within minutes of the recipient opening the goods.

All of the photos you've posted show external marks on the packaging, did you not notice these when you were handed the item in the Argos store? Why are you claiming that you only noticed this when you 'opened it up'?

No at first I only saw the bottom as I was quite in a hurry. So after I got home I noticed many of the sides and there were some scratches aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In real fairness I am trying to get a full refund of my money.
    As I found a cheaper one elsewhere.

You have neither a moral nor a legal right to a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

so you've been trying to get other boards members to work a way for you scam a refund.?

I don't think people like being taken as fools.

delahuntv wrote: »
    so you've been trying to get other boards members to work a way for you scam a refund.?

I don't think people like being taken as fools.

How is this scamming.
    The packaging is in horrbile state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

How is this scamming.

But there is nothing wrong with the actual camera. If the packaging is that bad, why didn't you ask for it to be replaced on the spot? Just because it is cheaper somewhere else won't get you a refund, nor will the slightly damaged packaging.

jelenka wrote: »
    But there is nothing wrong with the actual camera. If the packaging is that bad, why didn't you ask for it to be replaced on the spot? Just because it is cheaper somewhere else won't get you a refund, nor will the slightly damaged packaging.

Yes but this is not scamming .
    I already said I was in a hurry had to go somewhere so when I got back I noticed it.
    I am going now to go and see what they can do for me.
    If they give me new box I will settle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How is this scamming.

Horrible state? There's a few marks on the box.

That's what the box is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

It must be a nightmare running a shop! Cannot believe the cheek of some people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Scammers are everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

How is this scamming.

Packaging does not have to be pristine. The packaging is there to ensure the product is pristine.

Packaging does not have to be pristine. The packaging is there to ensure the product is pristine.

Well to me it does.
    Please mod close this thread.

Scammers are everywhere!

Yh your 1 of them.

gallag wrote: »
    It must be a nightmare running a shop! Cannot believe the cheek of some people!

Same thing can said about you.

Could this be classed as fraud? Making false allegations to manipulate a situation for personal gain? (Getting a refund about "damaged packaging " so they can get it cheaper elsewhere)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Well to me it does.
    Please mod close this thread.

This does not give you an entitlement to anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The heavy packaging done it's job as far as I can tell in the pics, if the camera is in perfect working order you are fine. Sending the item back because of damage to the packaging is nuts. The packaging is there to keep said camera or electronic items reasonably safe in transport.

My advice to you would be to squeeze the perforations out of the box and carry on. Once the item is in perfect working order there is no problem, cardboard indentations is not a valid reason to send it back to the store.

The heavy packaging done it's job as far as I can tell in the pics, if the camera is in perfect working order you are fine. Sending the item back because of damage to the packaging is nuts. The packaging is there to keep said camera or electronic items reasonably safe in transport.

My advice to you would be to squeeze the perforations out of the box and carry on. Once the item is in perfect working order there is no problem, cardboard indentations is not a valid reason to send it back to the store.

But that was only a front to get a refund so he could buy it elsewhere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Am I missing something? How where those marks not obvious when the item was handed over?

But that was only a front to get a refund so he could buy it elsewhere !

What a waste of everyone's time so. Next thread please.

You should see some of my parcels I got coming from hong Kong, they were in bits, but they sure as hell know how to package them, and the items were in perfect order. Creases my arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Probably just my thinking but looks like he paid for it, seen it cheaper somewhere else, all of a sudden the box looks terrible with scratches and dents (suspicious in it's own right as he was too "busy" to notice in store). And now hopes for full cash refund due to scratches on box so he can buy cheaper version.

Hopefully op gets laughed out of store.

Life is full of crinkles and indentations, but this is a bit of cardboard, I just don't see where the problem is when the item is fine. Anyway, Some folk care more about the outer covering than they do with the real item, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Just read this thread because it was trending and I'm stunned. Some people need a serious kick in the a$$.

Consumer rights have obviously gone way too far when people have such a fecked up sense of whats wrong and right.

Store gave me new box.
    Was quite friendly and nice about it.
    Nevertheless I got what I went for.
    I asked to see the other cameras and they were in their pristine quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Just cause you found it cheaper elsewhere, doesn't give you the right to a refund. You should have done more research before you bought. Simple as.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement