Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning dogs teeth

• 10-08-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

What's the best thing for cleaning your dogs teeth, I mean getting plaque off them? Even though both dogs eat the same diet the younger one has a lot of plaque on her back teeth, himself noticed last night when he was playing 'tug of remnants of football' with her. Older dog has great teeth he is more of a chewer and destroyer of things, younger dog tends to let him do the destructive work and then takes over the remnants (hence above game!).

I was thinking about raw bones or should I take her to the vet for a proper cleaning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    What's the best thing for cleaning your dogs teeth, I mean getting plaque off them? Even though both dogs eat the same diet the younger one has a lot of plaque on her back teeth, himself noticed last night when he was playing 'tug of remnants of football' with her. Older dog has great teeth he is more of a chewer and destroyer of things, younger dog tends to let him do the destructive work and then takes over the remnants (hence above game!).

I was thinking about raw bones or should I take her to the vet for a proper cleaning?

My dogs' teeth (3 of them) need a good cleaning too. The vet suggested that putting them under GA and then giving them a good scrubbing was the best way.

I was quoted €135 for each of them and that was including a 20% discount. They also recommended that the 2 dogs that are over 8 years old are given intravenous fluids and that they have pre-anaesthetic bloods taken and that would cost another €136 for each of them.

So all in all it would going to cost me around €675. So needless to say, I'm on the look out for a cheaper option too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My smaller dogs teeth aren't great, I give bones like chicken legs (without skin) or lamb ribs, to chew and clean teeth.
    I also get something called plaque off, you sprinkle it in the food, it has helped quite a bit.
    Brush the teeth if you can, my girl has a very small mouth so it's hard, you can get doggy tooth paste.
    The bigger dog is older and has perfect teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My dogs' teeth (3 of them) need a good cleaning too. The vet suggested that putting them under GA and then giving them a good scrubbing was the best way.

I was quoted €135 for each of them and that was including a 20% discount. They also recommended that the 2 dogs that are over 8 years old are given intravenous fluids and that they have pre-anaesthetic bloods taken and that would cost another €136 for each of them.

So all in all it would going to cost me around €675. So needless to say, I'm on the look out for a cheaper option too!

Yikes!! Mine both have pet insurance mind you but still, don't fancy the idea of a GA
    mymo wrote: »
    My smaller dogs teeth aren't great, I give bones like chicken legs (without skin) or lamb ribs, to chew and clean teeth.
    I also get something called plaque off, you sprinkle it in the food, it has helped quite a bit.
    Brush the teeth if you can, my girl has a very small mouth so it's hard, you can get doggy tooth paste.
    The bigger dog is older and has perfect teeth.

Plaque off sounds good I will have a look for that, does brushing them actually get the plaque off though? Mind you I suppose it's like human teeth you need to brush regularly and not let it build up, I'm afraid I've let it build up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

me wrote:
    Raw bones!
    Or if you want to buy something Logic gel is very good. Bailey has an infection in his gum/jaw atm and the vet gave me Hexarinse yesterday to squeeze into his jaw flap so it sloshes around. She was saying that they use it for dogs say with heart conditions who can't be put under to have their teeth cleaned and uses it herself on one of her own dogs. I think it smells lovely lol!

quoting myself in the other toothy tread! :p

Daily brushing with Logic should help loosen the plaque then you can just scrape it off with your nail or a scaler which you can pick up on amazon for a few quid. I find with my two Bailey's teeth are generally fine but Lucy's canines seem to get a bit grotty every couple of weeks but the plaque chips off easily with my nail. As well as bones likes a good chew on an antler/bull horn so the rest of her teeth are always nice and clean

Advertisement