Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution thread...

• 10-08-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I have recently been given a sauce recipe I want to try and one of the ingredients is Noels hot chilli sauce. However for the life of me I can't locate it anywhere(living in London). Has anyone any idea what this sauce is as when I google it I can only find dessert sauces for sundaes.

On a side note this made me think that there may be an idea for a substitute thread where we can ask for recommendations for ingredient substitutes if we cannot find the original ingredient and if its not plainly obvious to us. Obviously if the recipe says Heinz ketchup for example I am sure any kind of sweet ketchup would suffice esp if it was not an integral part of the recipe?

Thought? And while you're thinking can anyone think of a substitute for Noels hot chilli sauce if I can't find any?

Cheers

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chilli sauces add heat & sometimes a level of piquancy to a dish. Unless Nöel's chilli sauce has some strange or wonderful element to it I would imagine that any of the other widely available hot sauces would do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Chilli sauces add heat & sometimes a level of piquancy to a dish. Unless Nöel's chilli sauce has some strange or wonderful element to it I would imagine that any of the other widely available hot sauces would do the trick.

The recipe said a tub of Noels hot chilli sauce so I would imagine it could be some kind of concentrate? I am going to try make it this avo and see what my local Sainsburies has in stock. Just need to work out the amount of ingredient as the recipe was for a large batch(catering size)

Appreciate the reply The Hill Billy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It might help if the OP could give an idea of the recipe and what it's meant for. A tablespoon of, say Tabasco sauce, would give a very different result to a tablespoon of Thai sweet chilli sauce :)

Also strange that Googling 'Noels hot chilli sauce' essentially yields zero relevant results.

Alun wrote: »
    It might help if the OP could give an idea of the recipe and what it's meant for. A tablespoon of, say Tabasco sauce, would give a very different result to a tablespoon of Thai sweet chilli sauce :)

Also strange that Googling 'Noels hot chilli sauce' essentially yields zero relevant results.

its for a home made chilli sauce I am trying to make for chicken wings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I googled "hot chilli sauce tub" and didn't get anything either. Are you sure it's not a misprint?

• Advertisement

I googled "hot chilli sauce tub" and didn't get anything either. Are you sure it's not a misprint?

I have emailed my mate who gave me the recipe to confirm what a tub is with regards to measurements and if there is a good alternative I could use.

http://www.emilenoel.com/produit/sauce-chili-bio???

I think that sometimes these recipe writers are either plugging brands for a fee or using obscure products to show how hip they are.

Edit: I don't think that the link above is what you are looking for as the products appear to only be available in France & Canada.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Excellent work there THB/Sherlock :)

It seems to be the only chilli sauce with Noel on the label.

Boring Sunday afternoon stuck in Bern with SFA better to do. :(

I think that sometimes these recipe writers are either plugging brands for a fee or using obscure products to show how hip they are.

Edit: I don't think that the link above is what you are looking for as the products appear to only be available in France & Canada.
    Looking at the ingredients list it looks more like a salsa than what I'd call a chilli sauce.

Diced tomato (61.5%), Tomato concentrate, Onions, Red peppers, EV Olive oil, Green peppers, Unrefined (?!) sea salt, Sugar, Garlic, Thickeners, Cayenne pepper, Sunflower oil, Pepper, Lemon concentrate

The only vaguely hot thing (cayenne) comes almost last in the list suggesting it isn't going to very hot at all.

• Advertisement

That was the only one I found too.

I thought that was the ingredient list for the related product - tomato sauce - displayed above because there was no mention of any chillis. :confused:

I thought that was the ingredient list for the related product - tomato sauce - displayed above because there was no mention of any chillis. :confused:
    I don't think so .. if you click on the tomato ketchup bottle you get another, different, set of ingredients, with no related products shown.

You're right too. Chilli sauce with no chillis. :(

@frAg - maybe post the full recipe as it would give us a better idea of what substitute you could use (possibly).

Advertisement