Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC English Comparative 2016

Options
  • 10-08-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

Just wondering if you have given any thought to which texts you will cover with your 5th years this year?

I know I'll have a higher level group so Citizen Kane is standing out to me from the film list but am worried that students will react negatively to studying a classic film, I also don't want them to ruin my love of the film!

Not sure about the novel selection, An uncommon reader is a great read but I can't find too many comparasions to Citizen Kane.

Any feedback / inspiration would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

I'll also have a HL class. I would like to do Never Let Me Go but I'm not sure what other texts it would work best with. I'm spending today preparing English plans so hopefully I'll have a better idea by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I have mixed HL/OL together. I'm going to allow the HL decide if they's prefer to do King Lear or The Great Gatsby as their single text. I think they'll choose The Great Gatsby. If so, I'm thinking King Lear, All My Sons and either Citizen Cane, The King's Speech or Richard III for the comparative. I also like the look of The Road and A Doll's House. I'll probably throw them a few options for the comparative, too.

Anyone here taught both HL and OL together before who has any advice/suggestions? I've taught both levels before, just not together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Not overly enamoured (or even familiar with!) by the texts on offer for this year group.

I have an Ordinary level group. Will be doing the Plough and the Stars as Single Text.

Has anyone ever used 'Foster', by Claire Keegan? I feel this would go well with Juno....ideas of what third text could go with these?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

I'm planning to do King Lear as the single text, then Juno, A Doll's House and The Great Gatsby for the comparative. May need to tweak that decision a little depending on the group I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I'm planning to do King Lear as the single text, then Juno, A Doll's House and The Great Gatsby for the comparative. May need to tweak that decision a little depending on the group I get.

Exact same combination I was going to do. General Vision and Cultural Context as comparative modes I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sky1234

I also have an OL 5th year group. I am thinking Plough and the Stars for single text and then King's Speech and An Inspector Calls for comparative. I'm unsure of which to go for the 3rd text though. Any ideas? It is my first year teaching OL 5th year English (and I'm a relatively new teacher) so any tips or advice is really welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

sky1234 wrote: »
    I also have an OL 5th year group. I am thinking Plough and the Stars for single text and then King's Speech and An Inspector Calls for comparative. I'm unsure of which to go for the 3rd text though. Any ideas? It is my first year teaching OL 5th year English (and I'm a relatively new teacher) so any tips or advice is really welcomed!

Ugh, the list for OL single text is horrendous this year! I'm looking at An Inspector Calls and The King's Speech too, but don't think I can stomach P&S after doing Juno this year. I may have to settle for Circle of Friends.

You don't need a third text, two texts is fine for OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sxtn

does anyone know where i can get good notes for the 'uncommon reader' ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shauna1250

Hi all I'm a leaving cert student doing Juno, Foster and A Dolls House for my comparative, I am doing cultural context and literary genre, thanks.

Advertisement